911 polk member needs help

Options
paymontana
paymontana Posts: 234
edited October 2003 in Electronics
I purchased a Onkyo tx-sr800 from ecost.com through a gentleman on Ebay Who shall remain nameless til conflict is resolved. The unit is defective out of the box. I was supposedly factory refurbed. No one wants to own up to it unless i pay 100$ shipping or drive the unit 3hrs round trip x2 ,with out traffic. I think Onk should replace it free of charge. What is your opinion?
I need someone who works at CC or another large dealer that has leverage to help me out. Let me hear from you good or bad.

CJ
"It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ****."
Post edited by paymontana on

Comments

• thehalo8
    thehalo8 Posts: 127
    edited October 2003
    Options
    That’s the chance you take from not purchasing retail. You can save a lot of money online, but loose all the warranty. I don't buy any of my home theater items from unauthorized dealers. If you would have bought it from CC then you could return it for a free new unit.
    Mains: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
    TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
    DVD: Sony DVP S5300
    Protection: Monster HTS 3600
    Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I agree, its a chance you take. Why would it cost you $100 shipping? What kind of shipping are you doing? UPS is not that expensive. Try and resolve the conflict thru Ebay. Have you contacted Safe Harbor, the Ebay customer service?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Let's see an auction link.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    [URL=http://]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayl/SAP/.dll?Viewitem&item=3050176317&category=39797[/URL]

Here is the link. It if doesn't work. Go into ebay and type in Onkyo tv-sr800 completed auctions/ Wow best deal on Ebay $699 / AAzadady.

This unit was purchased through a certified Onkyo dealer that is my ****. I'm stuck with it. This guy is just the middle man. Guess I'll eat the shipping and a few weeks with out sound.

Thanks guys

CJ
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    sorry for the typo it is tx-sr 800 listed under "wow 699$ best deal on Ebay"
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    If the seller sent you a broke dick receiver, regardless of dealer status, he needs to man up to it. Maybe it wa damaged in shipping, file a friggin claim.

Is the seller responding to you at all? Man this kind of **** makes my skin crawl...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    No he's not responding at all. He was all buddy buddy with me in the begging. He thaught i didn't know how to operate it. He even gave me his home phone #. Now he doesn't answer his phone or my email. SHOULD HAVE BAUGHT A DENON 3803 FROM 6TH AVE.

CJ
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Link was broke....

If you do not already have the seller's phone #, get it through ebay. If seller was buyer from Onkyo, he should hold the warranty and should front your claim.

Do be very careful about mailing off the unit to him or you could be S.O.L very quickly as after 30 days ebay washes their hands of the situation... I learned this on a cable box deal that went bad... Luckily I was only out $45. Chance of recover for me are not dead yet, but gasping pretty bad.

Anyway... keep an eye on the calendar...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    What precautions should I take if he takes it back. This guy had a 100% feedback. That is what bothers me. oh, no he doesn't, not any more. That has to hurt him to lose that big 100. Sorry guy.
    It isn't worth the hastle of a claim. Onkyo said they would pay for shipping after a few calls. So i won't be out any $. Just a little inconvenience. Still don't like being screwed. I could never do that to anyone.

Thanks for the input,
    CJ
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited October 2003
    Options
    EASY. Go to CC, buy a brand new one. Then swap them and return it. VOILA! You have a brand new receiver at refurb cost. My brother just bought a $250 mocha machine off Ebay for $60 refurb. Went to Kohl's department store, bought one brand new for $250, swapped them, and returned his refurb one in the box he bought from Kohl's and returned it. Yes, it's slightly dishonest, but not really. They're just going to send it right back to the manufacturer. Trust me, I work at CC :D
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Mazeroth
    EASY. Go to CC, buy a brand new one. Then swap them and return it. VOILA! You have a brand new receiver at refurb cost. My brother just bought a $250 mocha machine off Ebay for $60 refurb. Went to Kohl's department store, bought one brand new for $250, swapped them, and returned his refurb one in the box he bought from Kohl's and returned it. Yes, it's slightly dishonest, but not really. They're just going to send it right back to the manufacturer. Trust me, I work at CC :D

True but what do you do when they check the serial numbers and they dont match?
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have thaught about that but i agree with eclypse. The thing does have a big ole refurbed stamp on the back pannel but with these large retail stores if i am persistant I probably would get away with it.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2003
    Options

B*** S***! No matter what kind of cute spin you try to put on this...it is just plain WRONG! No wonder I hate doing business at CC...they hire such ethical employees!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Yea morally that isn't the best thing to do. I have no morals, just giving you an FYI. :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Mazeroth
    edited October 2003
    Options
    "B*** S***! No matter what kind of cute spin you try to put on this...it is just plain WRONG! No wonder I hate doing business at CC...they hire such ethical employees!"

I'm SOOO glad you hate doing business at CC. I hate that company. That's why I just put my 2-weeks notice in after giving them 5 years of my life. They took away our commission, they are getting rid of ALL full-time employees and replacing us with part timers that don't get benefits etc... They are taking away our employee discount as well, which was a HUGE bonus to working there. Now can you see why I don't think doing this is a bad thing? Also, it doesn't hurt CC one penny. They will get the Onkyo returned and it goes on a truck back to Onkyo while they get a 100% refund on the receiver. IF ANYTHING you're getting back at Onkyo for having **** quality control on their refurbished products. Next time, think before you open your mouth, errrr, type with your fingers
    :D
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    What's to think about? What you are proposing as being "slightly dishonest" is really just dishonest with rationalizations.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • shack
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Nice justification. I DID think before I typed. And all the smiley faces and rationalization in the world does not change the fact that swapping a $60 refurb for a brand new $250 product is WRONG (your example - BTY did your brother work for Kohl's and they screwed him over or what?). Unfortunately way too may people (and businesses) think and act just like what you are recommending. Too bad.

I'm out of this one...

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Mazeroth
    edited October 2003
    Options
    No, he bought the refurb off Ebay thinking it would work perfectly but it was defective. A refurb should work as good or BETTER than a new one because it has all the quirks worked out of it. Actually a girl down the street is the manager at the Kohl's he went to; we went to high-school with her and she had no problem doing that.

What you guys fail to understand is NO ONE gets screwed over on this deal. The manufacturer made the mistake. Kohl's took back the broken one and it was shipped back to the manufacturer on their truck. That might have cost Kohl's a whole 30 cents for that small spot on the truck, no biggie. OR if you guys want you can send something back to the manufacturer via UPS and pay 10-15 dollars, then wait a few weeks to get your new one back, which the manufactuerer will have to send via UPS which will cost them MORE MONEY than just having it sent back via a retail store that carries their products. I've worked in retail for over 7 years and I know how things are done. Doing it this way saves EVERYONE, TRUST ME.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Fine... then why not tell the retailer exactly what you are doing? Obviously by your logic they should have no problem co-operating...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    CJ has voodoo doll of the nogood sob that sold him the clunker and is shoving hi density foam in his ears. Rendering him def for as long as CJ is with out sound. Hold on boys I'm going to CC. Some times morals have to be set aside by good solid logic.
    90% of all people in this world are good. It is the other 10% that screw it up
  • Mazeroth
    edited October 2003
    Options
    "Fine... then why not tell the retailer exactly what you are doing? Obviously by your logic they should have no problem co-operating..."

I wish things worked that way but retailers won't do ANYTHING for you unless they're making out on the deal. They're cold-hearted money-driven pieces of ****. Trust me, I've known the life too long and it sickens me. Even if you spent $10,000 in CC in the last year and bought extended warranty on everything, if you told them your plan they would turn you away.

Polk, I'm glad you see the logic in my suggestion. Best of luck!
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2003
    Options
    What you guys fail to understand is NO ONE gets screwed over on this deal.

Oh, you'll get your screw-over, eventually. Rationalizations don't do anything but falsely make you feel a little better right now. Doesn't change the fundamental aspect of your action or what it says about you as a person.

Businesses pay for employee time, computer time, packing, shipping, benefits...... if you bought it from the retailer, take it back to them. If you cheaped out and bought it off Ebay, you took a risk and should take responsibility for the results.

I wonder if you'll feel the same if ever you open your own business and start getting returns from people like you.
  • shack
    edited October 2003
    Options
    OK - I trust you - it is all so clear now. But let me make sure I understand...using the Kohl's example...

Kohls PAID for an item (Usually 50% retail markup - around $166 or so) so they used their cash (opportunity cost) or PAID interest on their lines. Then there is shipping costs to the main distribution center. They PAID someone to unload the truck, PAID someone check invoices, sort, etc. Then they PAID someone to load the truck, PAID someone to drive the truck to the store, PAID someone to unload the truck. Then they PAID someone to check the items in and put them on the shelf. Of course there are minor costs for buildings, and trucks and fuel and electricity. So now there is a nice product on the shelf for sale.

In walks XXXXX and buys the item and of course they PAID the cashier to ring up the item and put it in a bag that I bet they PAID for. Next day in walks XXXXX with the $60 ebay refurb in the box. A clerk at the return desk who was being PAID handled the transaction and paperwork. Then the process was reversed with paperwork and loading and unloading and shipping and so forth (which I'm pretty sure Kohls PAID for) and then Kolh's ultimately gets back their purchase price of $166. They didn't make any money on the transaction...but then again...even though they had nothing to do with the original item they only lost 30¢ on the transaction....

In your words "no biggie".

Take your 7 years of "Retail Exprerience", start your own business with your own money and tell me it's "no biggie".

TRUST YOU? I'll have to think about that one.

Trust me...this time I'm really done with this thread!

• paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Point well taken burdette but I just got my screw over with out just cause other than the fact that i wanted a quality system at an affordable price. Besides it is not like i bought it out of the back of a van in some back alley in Pittsburgh or Cleveland. It was a certified online Onkyo dealer. I have contacted Onkyo directly within 2days of purchase. I got the politicaly correct version of we don't care "We already have your money. Thank you for playing."

CJ
  • Mazeroth
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Once again, montana sees the light. All you are doing is using CC to ship it back to the manufactuerer for you. They rape costumers all day long. If you've ever purchased a thing from CC in your life, this little shipment back still probably won't cover what they made off you unless you bought a CD off them where they average $4.50 profit per CD after all expenses. I doubt it's costing them $4.50 to do this for you. You guys can do/think what you want, but if you were in the same situation I think you may see the other side of the rainbow.

I honestly have never done anything dishonest in my life; I can't live with myself if I do so I just don't do it. Well, maybe telling you about this is "dishonest" but I'm just teaching you a way to get a problem fixed and quickly. Either way I'm done posting on this thread. You guys that still think I'm the devil can go sit on your high seats and enjoy the rest of the thread.

THE END :D

(I HAD to throw this in)
    I purchased a 51" Hitachi 40 days ago from CC since I knew I was leaving the company and wanted to get it before I did. When the TV got to my house my father and I loaded it into the house and unpacked it VERY carefully. After we took the packaging off there was a HUGE chuck taken out of the molding that was the size of a quarter. SO we had to pack it back up, carry it outside again, and return it to the store (this took about 4 hours). After getting it back we exchanged it and took another one home. If this were a customer they would have bent over backwards to help them out, discounted the TV a few hundred dollars etc...
    Last week my manager read some reviews about the TV I purchased and wanted to get one as well. He checked the price for it and it dropped $190! An e-mail came out to the store saying they messed up the discounts on some televisions and they would be fixed. Well, I went to the managers and asked if they could refund me the $190 that they messed up on. This is 33 days after I purchased it (we have a 30-day price gaurantee). They said, NO, you're past the 30 days. I tell them they would do it for a customer up to 60 days later. They brushed me off and said they can't. ****. Been there 5 years, never called off once, fill-in when they need me to and I'm #3 in the store for extended warranty sales for the year and they won't even help one of their own!? I called the district manager and he told me the same thing. NICE GUYS! This is another reason why I put my notice in. I just can't take it there any more. So if you guys have any doubts about me, maybe now you can see why I heavily dislike CC and can't wait for them to fold. That will be a great day in my books.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Why is everybody leaving?

Mazeroth,
    No one here has said you are a bad person or that they are morally superior to you in every way. A couple of us have simply taken issue with your advice in this instance, which, unfortunately in our view, pm has chosen to follow.

pm,
    Be aware that what you are planning to do may be illegal.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    pm is aware and has sent the unit to onkyo to have it fixed under warranty. It is just on big **** sandwich and it is all mine to eat.Thank you all gentlemen for the comments.

CJ
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    30 days and 1hr to the minute i hear from the no good sob that sold me the clunker. He ignored me for 2 weeks. He knew exactly what he was doing. DO NOT BUY ONKYO FROM AAZADADDY ON EBAY OR ECOST!!!!!!!! Tour2ma was right.

CJ
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Isn't it crazy how Circuit City rapes people all day long, but they lost $124 million last quarter?
  • shack
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    Isn't it crazy how Circuit City rapes people all day long, but they lost $124 million last quarter?

based on Mazeroth's cost accounting...at .30 a pop they only had to take back 413,333,333 items they didn't sell to generate this amount of loss.