Windows XP Pro Academic edition

2»

Comments

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,765
    edited January 2012
    Jstas wrote: »
    Really? I've worked for small outfits but most of my experience is managing corporate enterprise level environments for massive corporations where we have volume licensing. There is no such thing as "pre-activation".

By pre-activated, I meant that the end user does not need to do it. There are a few different methods, that don't involve volume licensing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457096.aspx

But you go ahead and keep claiming there is no such thing, as usual, you know it all.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,772
    edited January 2012
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    By pre-activated, I meant that the end user does not need to do it. There are a few different methods, that don't involve volume licensing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457096.aspx

But you go ahead and keep claiming there is no such thing, as usual, you know it all.

896054b6-c950-40f5-904c-d5c96fccd905.jpg
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • WilliamM2
    edited February 2012
    Was the know it all wrong again? It's hard to gt mad at you Jstas, more like pity.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2012
    Was the know it all wrong again? It's hard to gt mad at you Jstas, more like pity.

952.jpg

• WilliamM2
    edited February 2012
  • Jstas
    edited February 2012
    Feel better?

Putin-Medvedev-he-mad.jpg

• Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited February 2012

Yup.

And Jstas... "U mad?" Seriously? Wow. That's just embarrassing.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • Jstas
    edited February 2012
    Syndil wrote: »
    Yup.

And Jstas... "U mad?" Seriously? Wow. That's just embarrassing.

First off, for both of you geniuses, I'm not wrong, I wasn't ever wrong in this thread and I won't be wrong in the future. Neither of you seem to have a firm grasp of what you are talking about in any respect in this thread. Both of you seem to want to pontificate as a "devil's advocate" of sorts but that doesn't work when a fact based point of view is presented. Facts are not open for debate.

There is no such thing as "pre-activation". Activation is needed but if you are issued a license key that has a code that automatically activates your license, it's not "pre-activation". That would imply that the activation has occurred on the installed software BEFORE you installed it. It hasn't. Your license code contains the flag that performs the activation without having to contact MS. The reason for this is so that you can perform a managed install from you own SCCM/SMS servers for your company. That way, when you have to upgrade 5,000 machines, you don't destroy your bandwidth allocation for the month with 5,000 separate activation requests to Microsoft.

Since you both behave like trolls and contradict people for the mere sake of contradiction I'll treat you like trolls.

WilliamM2, I have roughly 17 years experience in companies with 10,000+ users. I have managed volume licenses before. I don't care how butthurt you are but given your experience that you have spoken of, you're not the expert. You can call me a "know-it-all" and throw your little tantrum about being told your wrong all you want. You're still not correct or accurate in your statements.

Syndil, you're wrong too. I know this for a fact because you know what my responsibilities at one of my previous jobs were? License transfer. I used to build out systems for installations on ships. Then install those systems on ships or at land based sites. The volume licenses I used were my company's licenses. When our customer signed off on the product we were delivering, I had to do all the paperwork and footwork with various vendors, including Microsoft, to transfer the licenses. I have handled over 3,000 license transfers in my career. Never once has MS or any legal department I was in contact with interpreted the license agreements in the false way that you have. I don't know when you became a lawyer but you should honestly do your clients a favor and quit 'cause you suck at it.

Oh and...

hey-i-think-they-mad.jpg

• Syndil
    edited February 2012
    I think it's clear who the troll is. (Hint: it's the kid posting "umad" pictures).

I guess you didn't click William's link to Microsoft Technet, where those (apparently) damn fools at Microsoft use the term "pre-activation." But of course they weren't using the words in the same way that you were using the words, so they must be wrong. :rolleyes:

• WilliamM2
    edited February 2012
    Jstas, I still pity you. You seem so mad, just because you were wrong, and will be wrong again in the future.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2012
    No, I didn't click your links to the Microsoft site. I know what it says.

The "pre-activation" you are referring to in volume licensing is not "pre-activation". It's Unattended Activation and is exactly as I explained earlier.

The article is referring to OEM's activating the OS on a pre-installed system. It's still standard activation it's just that some monkey at Dell or Compaq or Gateway or whatever did it for you. The OS, if changed and requiring activation again, needs to be activated in the same way that dude at Dell did it.

I'll wager that the article has info on how to preserve the "pre-activation" that the OEM did. You'll need to do one of about 4 things IIRC. One of them is the sysprep file creation, another is the OOBEinfo.ini method and the other two are using either manual install or a managed solution with an unattended key for those companies who get service plans from places like Dell and have their systems arrive from the OEM ready to be plopped on a desk and used.

In the grand scheme of things, Microsoft does not do "pre-activation".

Am I right or are you going to tell me I'm a know-it-all troll again and dismiss 2 decades of experience because you think I'm being a jerk?

• WilliamM2
    edited February 2012
    It's still standard activation it's just that some monkey at Dell or Compaq or Gateway or whatever did it for you. The OS, if changed and requiring activation again, needs to be activated in the same way that dude at Dell did it.

Which is just what I said in the original post:
    That's correct, all versions of XP have always required activation, unless pre-activated by the manufacturer of the PC.
    Am I right or are you going to tell me I'm a know-it-all troll again and dismiss 2 decades of experience because you think I'm being a jerk?

You were wrong, and you are jerk. And I'm sure you have more than 2 decades experience at both.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2012
    Sorry sport, you got me all wrong.

You're statement of "That's correct, all versions of XP have always required activation, unless pre-activated by the manufacturer of the PC. " was refuted by me because it appeared to me that you were stating that the version came from Microsoft that way. I said there was no such thing as pre-activation in regards to Microsoft world and there isn't. You told me I was wrong and then regurgitated a technet article that really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. But instead of using it to clarify your statement you chose to use it as "Ha ha, you're wrong, mr. know-it-all! Suck on that!" and then flooded the thread with your smug. You weren't clear in your original post and since the rest of the conversation had nothing to do with OEM companies, your interjection of an irrelevant fact was misunderstood and you chose to be a **** about it instead of clarify your point.

But, whatever, you like to just pester people you don't like anyway and then blame it on the other person. But everything you do here is confrontational and you're the common denominator. But we're the ones with the problems? Right?

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited February 2012
    I still have a question. The discussion in this thread got somewhat convoluted, and I'm a little lost... My thinking at the beginning was that if you took this CD and installed Windows XP on a PC, then you would have to activate it within 30 days in order to keep using it. A few others here seemed to agree with that (and some googling seemed to also support that thought), but Jstas commented:
    XP Doesn't need to be activated to work.
    I'm not sure how to parse those words to make sense of that statement. Not trying to nitpick or start (or continue) anything - just trying to understand. I'm still running XP on one machine (although using it less and less frequently). I've always had to enter a product key when installing and activate afterwards. Are these two steps related? I assumed that they were, but now I'm just... confused. Yes, I read the stuff about MGA and SP3, however, I'm sure that I had to go through this activation process prior to the release of SP3... :confused:
  • Jstas
    edited February 2012
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I still have a question. The discussion in this thread got somewhat convoluted, and I'm a little lost... My thinking at the beginning was that if you took this CD and installed Windows XP on a PC, then you would have to activate it within 30 days in order to keep using it. A few others here seemed to agree with that (and some googling seemed to also support that thought), but Jstas commented:

I'm not sure how to parse those words to make sense of that statement. Not trying to nitpick or start (or continue) anything - just trying to understand. I'm still running XP on one machine (although using it less and less frequently). I've always had to enter a product key when installing and activate afterwards. Are these two steps related? I assumed that they were, but now I'm just... confused. Yes, I read the stuff about MGA and SP3, however, I'm sure that I had to go through this activation process prior to the release of SP3... :confused:

It doesn't need to be activated to work. It's not necessarily legal to do so. If you have a version that is original with no service pack applied, like a disc set issued at the end of 2001, you could opt out of the activation. I have a disc that lets me do that.

Shortly after that, activation became mandatory. But it is easily disabled by using a boot disk with a registry editor on it so you can boot in to Windows without having the registry active. That means that the controls that Microsoft puts on the registry can be circumvented. they can't protect anything if they aren't running. You go to the registry, find the hive key and change the value for the activation. Then you find the other associated values for the checks and the tamper protection and turn them of too. You will never need to register that installation of XP. You can get all the updates and all the patches and there isn't anything MS can do about it unless you have WGA installed. So to keep your unactivated copy of Windows XP alive is to just not download and install WGA. Just make sure your firewall and the rest of your network are locked down good so you don't fall victim to a later exploit.

Then again, programs like Spybot Search and Destroy will plug up those exploits that your missing patches after the WGA release leave open.

I never said it was legal. I just said it was possible.

• Syndil
    edited February 2012
    My thinking at the beginning was that if you took this CD and installed Windows XP on a PC, then you would have to activate it within 30 days in order to keep using it. A few others here seemed to agree with that (and some googling seemed to also support that thought), but Jstas commented...

Yes, you are indeed correct, and yes the product key and activation are related. I would not waste too much effort trying to parse anything Jstas says.

• WilliamM2
    edited February 2012
    You're statement of "That's correct, all versions of XP have always required activation, unless pre-activated by the manufacturer of the PC. " was refuted by me because it appeared to me that you were stating that the version came from Microsoft that way.?

How would the words "pre-activated by the manufacturer of the PC" appear to mean it came from Microsoft that way?
    But, whatever, you like to just pester people you don't like anyway and then blame it on the other person. But everything you do here is confrontational and you're the common denominator. But we're the ones with the problems? Right?

That may be the most hypocritical statement I've read here to date.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited February 2012
    It doesn't need to be activated to work.
    [...]
    I never said it was legal. I just said it was possible.
    Thanks. Makes sense now. I was assuming "normal" user without the use of "hacks." (i.e. inserting the CD and following MS's installation inductions.)
  • Jstas
    edited February 2012
    How would the words "pre-activated by the manufacturer of the PC" appear to mean it came from Microsoft that way?

Context of the discussion. That has nothing to do, whatsoever, with the OP's original questions. It's unrelated, ancillary information that just confused the issue. It's actually a fallacy. But, I digress.

That may be the most hypocritical statement I've read here to date.

No, I just like telling people like you you're wrong. I don't pester just anyone. I save my annoying for special people, just like you!

Isn't that keen?

• Jstas
    edited February 2012
    Thanks. Makes sense now. I was assuming "normal" user without the use of "hacks." (i.e. inserting the CD and following MS's installation inductions.)

Well, it's not really a hack. You don't have to do anything special to compromise the system. The hard part is finding the registry key because it's a hexadecimal value and not in plain English. I have a copy of Windows XP that came with a boot disk on a floppy disk. The recovery console on the boot disk can actually allow you to go in and disable the activation. You don't need a specific tool. Microsoft actually did it to themselves. Just booting in to recovery mode gives you the access you need to make the change.

It's not necessarily something a "normal" user would think to do. Unless somebody told them or they were on the ball enough to realize how they could accomplish it with tools M$ provided for them. But I've read some technet and knowledge base articles from around 2003-2004 when M$ really botched the first versions of WGA where they tell you how to use the console to go in and change the activation state to boot to a stable system and fix your new hardware problems. But the minute you update, it resets the activation.