Adcom GFA-5500 Power Amp

Gempler
Gempler Posts: 307
edited January 2012 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Adcom GFA-5500
2 x 200 Watts per channel into 8 ohms,
2 x 350 Watts per channel into 4 ohms.

Just $200 plus shipping, but there is a reason...

The right channel is blown and this unit needs to be serviced. I have researched and found an excellent repair facility that specializes in Adcom and will repair it and bring it back to factory specs for a flat rate of just $200.

That means you can have this gorgeous amp freshly restored to factory specs complete with a 60 day warranty for just $400.

I contemplated getting it repaired or just selling it as-is and have decided to sell because it really is too much amp for me to use in an apartment.

This unit is in near perfect cosmetic condition. The face is flawless, the top shows only minor signs of wear, and I can only find one tiny scratch on the rear. Even the inside looks clear (I inspected it for signs of physical damage but did no see anything obvious). This is a more recent sample as indicated by the factory IEC power cord socket. I have not see any like this for sale on Ebay or Audiogon, only older examples with the hard wired power cord.

Local pickup is preferred (10014). Shipping weight is 52 lbs from 10014 or 08835 (repair facility, if I were to bring it there for you).

Pictures to follow if there is any serious interest.

Thank you for looking!
Post edited by Gempler on

Comments

• michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    edited January 2012
    Do you have a photo or two of this bad boy and maybe some info on how you used it, what with. Thanks
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • Gempler
    edited January 2012
    Not a single pm! I thought this crowd loved Adcom and that this was going to be an attractive way for someone to get a solid performer that they could repair themselves or get it serviced backed by a 60 day warranty. I will let it linger here a little longer then off to craiglist for a fast local sale. Thank you.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited January 2012
    Gempler wrote: »
    Not a single pm! I thought this crowd loved Adcom...

We do. I own four GFA-5500's, a GFA-555 Mk II and a GFA-5400.:smile:
    I thought...that this was going to be an attractive way for someone to get a solid performer that they could repair themselves or get it serviced backed by a 60 day warranty.

Some people might be holding out for one in better functional condition. They might see the blown channel as a sign of abuse.
    This is a more recent sample as indicated by the factory IEC power cord socket. I have not see any like this for sale on Ebay or Audiogon, only older examples with the hard wired power cord.

The hard wired power cord version and the detachable power cord version were offered at the same time. The latter is not a more recent version. The hard wired power cord version was for 120 volt areas and the detachable power cord version was the convertable 120V/230V version. See attached Adcom instructions.

The convertable version is the more desirable version not because it is "more recent", but because it has a better transformer and it allows the use of better power cords. I have owned both versions. The convertable version sounded better in my two channel system. I could not tell a difference between the two versions in my home office and master bedroom systems.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Gempler
    edited January 2012
    Thank you for your interesting comments. And for that detail about the detachable vs. fixed power cords on this model.

I know the history of the unit as it belonged to a friend of mine. It had a gentle residential life in a two channel system. One night when the unit was on but completely idle he heard a pop and then got a whiff of some electrical smell and so unplugged the unit. He recalled that it came with a five year warranty (which Adcom has reduced to two years on amps in 2010) so he called Adcom. Adcom they told him they would not repair it under warranty without an original receipt and understandably this upset him. He replaced the unit with something that was not Adcom and gave the GFA-5500 to me. A unit this young and should not have failed so soon, particularly since it was so lightly used, and Adcom agree with my friend that Adcom should have stood behind it, but I digress...

I found that one of the right channel rail fuses was blown. Researched repair facilities and found a highly recommended one that specialize in all things Adcom (no, not the factory authorized one, but one that does flat rate repairs and sells many Adcom parts).

Decided that it is too much amp for me so listed it as-is. But at this point I am going to withdraw it. The repair shop offered to buy it from me and the hassle of boxing and shipping it is not worth the difference in price that I might otherwise get. Was just trying to pass along what I thought was a good deal to a fellow Polkie.

So thanks to everyone for looking but consider this "sold".