Using a sub woofer with the passive radiators in my monitor 10's

Options
Can anyone recommend a sub woofer for use with my polk monitor 10's that have passive radiators?
I have a Yamaha RX 770 about 85 watts rms per channel.

Thanks for the help

Pat
Post edited by patanneflick on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2012
    Options
    A passive radiator serves the same function as a port, and affect bass frequencies the same above the radiator's FS.

Polk does make a few subs with passives though: http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/subwoofers.php#dsw
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Welcome to the Club...

For music or HT? What size room?

EDIT: Just checked your Yammie, so I'm guessing music.
    If that's the case and you are just trying to lighten the burden the 10's are placing on your Yammie, I'd think small, 10" sub. Maybe the PSW10 or 110.

But before I laid out $150+ a sub, I'd consider a used receiver with more power.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • patanneflick
    patanneflick Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I have a set of polk monitor 10's and they have passive radiators.

What powered sub woofer would work best to add a little more clean light bass to these monitors 10's for 2 channel stereo listening of rock and classic rock

Thanks Pat
  • Face
    edited January 2012
    Options
    See above.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Your Polk Monitor 10s have a specified -3db lower limit of 37Hz. Considering your primary purpose is 2-channel music, I would recommend a sealed (not ported) subwoofer with a lower limit somewhere below 37Hz.

Speaking in general terms, a sealed enclosure gives you tighter, cleaner bass, whereas a ported enclosure gives you lower bass extension and more output. And again, speaking in general terms, music is usually much better suited by tighter, cleaner bass, whereas home theater demands lower bass at higher volumes.

All of Polk's current subwoofer offerings are ported, so I would look elsewhere for your sub. Of course there are many possibilities and you have not specified your budget, but at least now you should have a better idea of what to look for.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • Face
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Since his speakers are ported(via passive radiator), a radiator or ported sub would blend better. Ported subs can be very musical too, it's all about placement, gain, and phase.
  • FMK
    FMK Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    Options
    My recommendation is to forego the subwoofer. My Monitor 10s have plenty of bass, and I'm a basshead. I've tried running them with and without a subwoofer (Mirage LF100) and they sound better, cleaner, and more musical without- and this is listening to classic rock, jazz, and classical music at fairly high volumes. The dirty little secret of getting maximum bass out of the Monitor 10 - and I know this flies in the face of conventional wisdom- is to place them directly on the floor without using stands. Once I moved them off the stands, they started to sing in the bass. Moreover, you'll get smoother frequency response in the bass, midbass, and low mids without using a sub. Another key, as Tour2ma noted, is to give them plenty of power. I use an Adcom GFA555 (200 watts) so I've never lacked for power to drive them. Depending on your receiver, your room, and your listening habits, you may want to look into a more powerful -or at least a higher current- receiver or amp.
  • alla4
    alla4 Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Options
    good post
    I am octant and predominantly I overtimes make sundry errors coinciding commitment. To forestall them richly I constantly utilize essay buy attentively.
  • Face
    edited January 2012
    Options
    FMK wrote: »
    My recommendation is to forego the subwoofer. My Monitor 10s have plenty of bass, and I'm a basshead. I've tried running them with and without a subwoofer (Mirage LF100) and they sound better, cleaner, and more musical without- and this is listening to classic rock, jazz, and classical music at fairly high volumes. The dirty little secret of getting maximum bass out of the Monitor 10 - and I know this flies in the face of conventional wisdom- is to place them directly on the floor without using stands. Once I moved them off the stands, they started to sing in the bass. Moreover, you'll get smoother frequency response in the bass, midbass, and low mids without using a sub. Another key, as Tour2ma noted, is to give them plenty of power. I use an Adcom GFA555 (200 watts) so I've never lacked for power to drive them. Depending on your receiver, your room, and your listening habits, you may want to look into a more powerful -or at least a higher current- receiver or amp.
    Placing them on the floor will kill imaging and reinforce not only the bass, but the midbass and lower mids, making them sound bloated in most cases. There's nothing wrong with adding "quality" sub and setting it up properly.
  • FMK
    FMK Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    Options
    That's not been my experience. The Monitor 10's seem to blossom in the bass without really affecting the low mids, and the imaging is as detailed as it has ever been. I have to say I was surprised to find out that I could put them on the floor without the bloat- I had held off putting them there because I had read too often that they needed to be on stands. But I can't argue with the sound. My theory is that floor-positioned bass bloat occurs with acoustic suspension speakers but not passive radiators, perhaps because their lower mass helps to keep the wavefronts time aligned with the mid drivers. (That's just a guess!).

I would say give it a shot and see if it works. At least it's easy to test out and doesn't require buying extra gear. I'd be curious to find out if it works for anybody else besides me. I'd check it out before investing in a subwoofer- good ones aren't cheap, and they take some work getting them to mate smoothly with the main speakers, especially if the mains already have a fair amount of low end extension.
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I have found that experimenting with different floor couplings will produce different results, and not always in the ways you would expect. With my RT12s I found they sounded fine without any spikes or feet on them at all (both options were provided), placing the Power Port platform directly on the carpet.

There is certainly no one-size-fits-all wisdom to it. I think the largest influencing factor would probably be your type of floor. For example, I would not expect to get the same results placing a speaker on a concrete slab as I would placing it on a suspended wooden floor.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    Using 1 or better 2 subwoofers in your room with greatly smooth out bass performance. It's not up to the main speakers to reproduce bass frequencies as the placement of the 2 channel left and right speakers are usually not placed ideally in your room to accuracy reproduce frequencies below 150 hz.
    So by using 2 correctly placed Subwoofers you can tame room dips and peaks and create an overall stereo performance way better then any 2 speakers with trying to reproduce bass frequencies. This has nothing to do with the ability of the speaker or if it's passive sealed or ported design.
    I have no idea what your budget is but there is a world of subwoofers out there to choose from. Sealed vs ported is a good argument as sealed subs seem quicker tighter and better suited for 2 channel use. BUT Ported or passive radiator designed subs also can play music notes extremely well in a well tuned well placed will calibrated system.
    Depending on where you live I have a pair of Niles subwoofers that I would let go pretty cheap. I don't have boxes for them so shipping them would be a challenge and expensive. But they would fill your needs and wouldn't cost you much if you can pick them up or meet somewhere.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2020
    Options
    7x36yoznugyd.jpeg
    iz66j8mw4a9z.jpeg
    892qlntb431j.jpeg
    tqg05dw84afb.jpeg
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options