Upgrade Low Frequency Inductors For the SDA SRS 1.2TL

Options
2»

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I am waiting on a reply from Solen regarding the discrepancy between the spec DCR values and the measured DCR values. The spec DCR for the 10 AWG 16 mH inductor was 0.56 ohm, but it measured 0.8 ohm.
    thejck wrote: »
    I had my eye on those 2 inductors but held off because the DCR was rated less so I am pleasantly surprised. I wonder if this was something specific to the ones you received or this is normal for all of them.

Solen suggested that the discrepancy was caused by not subtracting the test lead resistance from my measurements and they were correct. The test lead resistance is 0.24 ohms. When the test lead resistance was subtracted from each of my measurements, they were the same as, or within 0.01 ohm, of the spec value. The corrected DCR measurements for the 1.2TL original inductors are as follows:

0.4 mH, 0.66 ohms
    0.7 mH, 1.66 ohms
    1.0 mH, 0.46 ohms (Solen replacement inductor spec value 0.47 ohms)
    2.0 mH, 1.06 ohms (Solen replacement inductor spec value 1.05 ohms)
    16.0 mH, 2.56 ohms

Table 1 in post #1 of this thread has been corrected.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Here are the corrected DCR values for all of the SDA SRS 1.2TL inductors.
    SDASRS12TLInductorMeasurements-Corrected-s.jpg
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Ray, in your opinion what would be an acceptable deviation as a percent from the nominal DCR for these inductors?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • DarqueKnight
    edited January 2012
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    Ray, in your opinion what would be an acceptable deviation as a percent from the nominal DCR for these inductors?

The advisement from Polk was to match the DCR values for the LF and HF inductors (except for the SDA inductor), so I would match them as closely as possible.

Solen claims a DCR deviation of no more than +/- 0.03 ohms for all their inductors. for the 1.2TL inductors, this works out to a tolerance range of 2%-6%. Of course, the smaller the DCR, the smaller you would want the deviation to be.
  • drumminman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Do you know of any place on CP that has DCR values for the inductors in the 2.3TL Xover? Or should I email Polk customer service?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • DarqueKnight
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I have not seen this discussed on the forum. I would email Polk Customer service. You might also ask them about a recommendation for a source for upgrade inductors...those are some odd values in the LF section. You can always buy a larger value and unwind, but the unwinding process might compromise the mechanical stability of the inductor.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I have not seen this discussed on the forum. I would email Polk Customer service.
    Or just buy a quality LCR meter. At the rate you're going, it will come in handy again down the line.
    You might also ask them about a recommendation for a source for upgrade inductors...those are some odd values in the LF section. You can always buy a larger value and unwind, but the unwinding process might compromise the mechanical stability of the inductor.
    To be honest, I haven't heard a difference when upgrading inductors except from going from solid core to air core.

The only other time I can see it being an upgrade is if they're being overpowered or saturated, which in the case of vintage Polks, is very possible due to their small gauge. Which brings up another issue, going to a larger gauge will also lower the DCR, which will require adjustments to the entire crossover. In the case of the 2B, a slight adjustment may be an easy task, but the necessary adjustments to the larger, more complex models may be beyond the scope of anyone here.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Or just buy a quality LCR meter. At the rate you're going, it will come in handy again down the line.
    Recommendations for a meter and a source to purchase from?

There's a batch of Communist crap on eBay, starting at ~$30 and up; I wouldn't trust those. Far as I can tell, "real" meters start at $200 and up...WAY up.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,958
    edited January 2012
    Options
    My inductors are here!!!:smile: but I want to wait till I have a multimeter to measure them with before I install them I am curious to see if I get the same readings as Ray.

But looking forward to them :cool:
  • drumminman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I have not seen this discussed on the forum. I would email Polk Customer service. You might also ask them about a recommendation for a source for upgrade inductors...those are some odd values in the LF section. You can always buy a larger value and unwind, but the unwinding process might compromise the mechanical stability of the inductor.

I emailed Polk and Kim J. replied to the effect that they no longer have that information (DCR of 2.3TL inductors).

The schematics call for two 22 awg (0.3 mH and 0.4), a 20 awg (1.75 mH) and an 18 awg (0.875 mH). The inductors in 22 awg seem pretty rare.
  • PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    edited January 2012
    Options
    BK Precision 878B or 879B. Cost is around $300 for the 879B - a good quality LCR meter.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I got my Solen inductors last week. I am ready to put them into the circuit board, but the inductors are laminated all the way to the leads - a stop sign.

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Sand or dremel the ends.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Or use a razor blade to scrape it off.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Sand or dremel the ends.

Just got the Black and Decker Rotary tool which accepts dremel parts. Time to make some good use of it. Thanks for the advice Face!!! Any chance your name is Dirk Benedict (the A-Team) ?

• thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I got my coils in. The DCR values are spot on with DK's
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I will be installing mine tonight..
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'm up and running!!! Sounds great so far!!

Thanks Ray!!!
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I'm up and running!!! Sounds great so far!!

Thanks Ray!!!

Can't wait for a review. I wonder if this could work for my 2B's?
  • PolkMaster1
    edited June 2012
    Options
    After 5 weeks of my SDA-SRS 1.2TLs being off line because of replacing inductors, all of my low frequency inductors are replaced with the Solen Inductors. The big 14mH inductors is what held up the project.

Totally AWESOME!!!