Interesting Polk Speaker from Polk Tour

Options
dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,576
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Pretty neat eh? I don't think this was posted before.
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    What else you got hiding? DIVULGE it all.

Looks RT3000/SRT ish. Love the 'external' crossover.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited October 2003
    Options
    That was the TOTL LSi monster that never made it! First thing I said when I walked in that room was "I want those!"
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Did you check the price of the replacement tweeters? You know, for when you blow em?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    that looks awesome! Are they still experimenting with them? did anybody give you guys the scoop on this? any ETA? Being a bookshelf, I wonder how stable they are. But, hell, I'll be waiting...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I want to go on a Polk tour. Can I just show up at the Baltimore plant and take one?
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Polkatese, it's sitting on what looks to be the bottom of the RT3000p speakers......beefy punchy sub....

Russ, I'd say that top portion looks like one hell of a LRC (or whatever the right name is for the speaker that can go anywhere up front)........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It's a LSi driver top with 3 woofers below, so it's a LSI/SRT. Sadly, we didn't get a listen.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I will secrete from my Polk glands, a picture every now and then.... :D

J - The tours have to be set up well in advance.

Polkatese/Brett - The story on those speakers were that they were just prototypes...nothing more. I think that it is more than a prototype, but that's just wishful thinking. F1/Brett described it the best. Its like an updated LSi/SRT hybrid.

Russ - Polk used alot of crossovers in that fashion. Alligator clipped leads and everything. Paul said that it allows them to test different crossover component setups easily and as many times as needed to run testing. Sounds like a good idea to me :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    doro, thanks for the update, that's too bad, cause I really like the look of it. I guess the secret sauce is in the crossover, and they are not close to actually release them for production...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited October 2003
    Options
    There effin Maple.......damnit I want Maple Lsi speakers........where the hell is customer service's number when you needit,I want some ****....or my effin Maple

The cabnet and sides..........o man I want that........in a Lsi15.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • freid
    freid Posts: 24
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Too bad that noisy window A/C unit is going to disturb your listening to the fine sound of your rig.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2003
    Options
    "I want some ****....or my effin maple"

I'll take the maple LOL:D

Maurice
  • mantis
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Holmes,
    they need to offer more choices in Lsi,only having **** piss poor black and Cherry sucks.........The cherry is nice but man I would so much rather have Maple.......
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Dan, seeing as it is a *prototype* - what you are seeing is the natural un-finished wood. It's not 'maple', maple has a golden hue to it.

Those proto's are un-finished, finishing comes later, after the design is nailed down.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • mantis
    edited October 2003
    Options
    um I perfer natural Maple homes........it looks like the proto type in the pic.....

I own natural Maple Salamander Tripple 20 Tv stand and the color is awesome.We are doing alot of Maple around the house and I would love to trim my theater in Maple......Natural that is.
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Russ has it right, NOT maple. MDF is used almost exclusively at Polk in pre-production and post. The wood shop can make anything from it and they even have a CNC set up in there too.
    The Polk speakers you own are MDF under that beautiful exterior.

Dan, if you don't like the wood on your LSi's, take them to a cabinet shop and have them done to your liking.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited October 2003
    Options
    F1nut,
    not saying Russ is wrong buddy......

I just really wish they would offer Maple.Taking my speakers to a cabnet shop for a facelift.......I would buy Sonus Fabers before I go and do all that........Not a bad Idea Bro but I just wouldn't want to be bothered with all that........But a thought as I'm typing here......
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Yeah Dan, I got that about Russ. I was just saying he was right about them not being maple...that's all.

Those Sonus Fabers are nice, sounded very much like my SDA2.3TL's without the super-wide soundstage. I mentioned to Doro after we listened to them that, "I could live with them." He really liked the leather panels, but he's kinda twisted like that.

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I think that one look like the New SRT system prototype:cool:
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Can you say...

$15,000?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Those Sonus Fabers are nice, sounded very much like my SDA2.3TL's without the super-wide soundstage.....

In RARE form Jesse, RARE form. Solid friggin GOLD.

Cheers,
    Rooster

Oh, all you other pudnockers, keep practicing - it's the only way to get to Carnegie Hall. ;)
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Them Sonus Fabors ($8,000/pair) sounded like a friggin souped up R50....just me, or maybe it was listening to them after hearing the X-1. But they sounded like complete garbage to me. That and the fact the SRT smokes it for 500 less.
  • Fastmerc
    Fastmerc Posts: 99
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I nominate Har for next polk speaker designer :D
    Nice thought
    Mains: RT20Ps
    Center: CS350LS
    R. Surround: RT16s
    R. Center: CS350LS
    F. Effects: LS/FX
    Sub: Titanic 15
    Reciever: Yamaha RX-Z1
    TV: 55 LED LCD
    Interconnects:AR, RSF, MC
    Speaker Cable:MC
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The Sonus sounds very very nice, I don't recall dancing R50's in my head while listening.

F1 - Whats wrong with a leather clad speaker I ask you! It sure could use a spiked collar tho', to finish it off.