RT800i vs. RTi70

Options
2»

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Blah blah, blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Uhhhhhh, OK. Whatever you say.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited October 2003
    Options
    No way I can switch my amps out. You wanna talk about a pocket drainer...lol

The Adcoms are very powerful sounding, known for crisp clear mids and highs...no? I found them that way with the RTxxxi line, possibly not with the newer line. BS seems to like the Adcom on his RTi150. I dont know, that might be the problem. I would borrow some other amps, but the only amps around me in availibility are Adcoms. Dad owns 3, I own 3. he owns a 50 pound Yamaha with 300 watts of power. That might just eat my speaker alive right there! lol!

Thanks for the suggestion, will have to look into. I plan to buy a Rotel integrated from a forum member here around summer time. Will test it out on the Polks to see how it sounds on them also.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You slated to bag ATC's broke-dick Rotel? Good luck, he's had TONS with it.

Can't wait for your updated, yet inconsistent NEXT review. Keep us posted.

Oh, and BLAH BLAH BLAH, blah blah.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Havn't bought it yet, but I plan to. It will run the Advents perfectly for what I use them for.

Russ,

There is no next review. Don't worry.

Was't it you that said the RTixxx line sounded like dog sh**? Im about sure it was you on messenger that did, because I talked to you about what speaker to chose. Yep, seems your opinion has changed also eh?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The Adcoms are great amps. You might want to take a look at the source or pre amp. All the amp is going to do is amplify the signal you feed it. Feed it some nice, warm and juicy sound from a pre and it's going to amplify warm and juicy sound.

Maurice
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Where did I say my opinion changed? I don't like the current RT line *at all*, dogshit? Well I've never crammed speaker wire into a fresh **** and listened, so I don't know. Is it the 'old' RT sound? No.

With ATC's Rotel clipping, and checking out early / dropping a channel on the SDA 2b's, and blowing a midbass on the LSi9's, what the hell do you plan to do with it on Original Advents? Please say 'use it as a pre-amp only, with a Hafler 500 for an amp'.

You crackpot.
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Yeah,
    Only problem with that is preamps are expensive to. Only thing I can upgrade this year and the years to come are speakers. Very soon I am going to have to worry about insurance and gas.

My upgrades are looking to be this right now...

1) Pay off Dad
    2) SVS PCi 20-39 (M&K is sold) - IXOS wire for left main
    3) RT35i or RT35 for surrounds
    4) (If needed) CSi5 with another Adcom GFA-545 II to power it.
    5) IXOS wire for center channel
    6) Depends when I get it all, and what my funds are. If I am doing good, then I may get a preamp. Will let you know.

Thanks for the suggestions. After selling off most of my audio gear, I am trying to slowly build it back.

Russ,
    If your opinion hasnt changed, then stop messing with mine.

If the Rotel can't mingle with the advents, I have an adcom I can run with them that my Dad isn't using. We have Adcoms everywhere. Don't worry.

BTW- EDIT: The Advents are hardly ran over 40db. I think the Rotel can manage that...no?
  • bigsexy1
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sid, my Adcoms are the newer generation than yours, and a lot of people (myself included) feel that the older generation was "brighter" then the newer ones. I also have an old 535. The newer ones do seem to run hotter, even when driving highly efficient Klipschs. However, they will give my 150s the kick in the **** that they need.
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The newer versions are alot more expensive. With the price half the newer version, I'll stick to the old ones. Unless you know of some killer deal that I don't know about. The newer Adcom amps, the 50 watt amp went for the price of the 545.
  • walk
    walk Posts: 178
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I think if you can even see the speakers at all, the lighting in your viewing room sucks! :)
    - Sony 50"A3000 SXRD; Onkyo TX-SR 805
    - Polk RTi150 mains; CSi30 center; FXi3 surrounds, R15 backs
    - Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    That, and the camera has a terrible flash.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2003
    Options
    OK Sid, I'm going to take this step by step to try and make you understand WHY we think what we do and why your posts are viewed is inconsistent.
    You don't understand. Have you ever heard a RTxxxi speaker? I know every owner of them that switched over to the newer line knows what I am talking about that thinks something is missing

I don't see this as the 'AVERAGE' opinion. It might be yours but don't find it to be the 'norm'.
    The RTi70 has gotta have the driest sounding midrange, along with EVERY RTixxx line.

Then we have...
    To me the ixxx series has a very enclosed sound, with a ton of slam, which to me has its own appeal. Where as the RTxxxi line was more open and detailed, with a crisper sound, but not as smoother in some respects to the ixxx line.

Maybe it's the way I read it, but it sounds like you are contradicting yourself.

The overal tonal quality of the RT35i over the RTi70 is tremendous! I mean huge! If you could just hear how much cleaner, cirsper, open the RT35i woofer sounds than the RTi70. Although, at the same time, with the dual mid-bass they both gain the same clearness to an exstent, however still has that same overall quality of enclosure

and from another post:
    The RT35i sounded kinda trapped within the box when doing male, or female vocals. The RT35i did male vocals kinda like listening to a singer with major alergies. Male vocals are also where the Infinity fails. Anyway, back to the Polk. The Rti70 does the vocals with a high sense of force. IE: In your face and all over the place. At times, I was tempted to pull out a measuring tape and measure the vocal height and then go to the bands website and see if the height was right. Because that is just how pin point accurate the RTi70 is in the sweet spot. The RTi70 just really lays it down infront of you and lets your ears mingle with it

Ok, so which is it? Again, sounds to me like you are contradicting yourself again. Sure opinons change but we are talking complete 180 turns here.
    I'm sorry to say, why do you think the RTixxx line didn't last long? Wouldn't Polk change the line because it didn't sell. I mean really, 1.5 years? From seeing what I saw at their HQ, they must have went straight into R&D on the line coming out right now, as soon as they released the RTixxx line, or soon after. That just tells me something that they didn't like how something went

That's just normal business....the original RT line was out about 2 rs, then the RTi line was out a while....it's natural progression. It's just the way the system works.
    The above post may make people mad. I don't care, I honestly don't. I've made fewer and fewer post on this forum each day, and today is an exception to absence

Obviously you do care. I understand you are 14 BUT this is a board inhabited by adults, that's just the way it is. It's not Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood. You want to post your opinions, be prepared to support and explain your positions. Otherwise, don't post.
    Now, I made this post trying to make it the most unholing post, that is complete in hopes that Troy will just get off my back. It is my opinion, nothing more. If you feel different, great.

Now, the first part I don't understand but I'm not on your back. I just made some comments and asked some questions. I do that a lot. If I find something inconsistent, I ask. If you feel persecuted, that's not the intent. HOWEVER, I was not rude or did I ridicule your intelligence. YOU are the one who starts out with the attitude and challenged my reading comprehension skills. Apparently, there are a few others who feel the same way about your posts.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I'd also (after reading F1's comment somewhere else) like to add that I do think Sid is a nice kid and has a lot on the ball. I'd really like to think what I'm offering here is some constructive criticisim. I don't want to run him off or piss him off, I just think if he slowed down a little and put more thought into his posts....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • bigsexy1
    edited October 2003
    Options
    "The RTi70 has gotta have the driest sounding midrange, along with EVERY RTixxx line. You hear reviewers saying "Far away, dull, forgotten, not exactly with you." The RTi70 has a very forward sounding mid-bass, and also at the same time has that muffled sound. However I will say this, the soundstage is mostly on the outside of the speaker, IE: More side based that center based unlike the RTxxxi speaker. The soundstage is not as pin point, however I did describe it as pin point accurate, which it is in vocals. Just when I pulled the RT35i out on top of it (Yes, being one only) the soundstage was so much more center based even with one on, the opposite type of soundstage follows the RT35i though. Very center based, and not so outter based.

The overal tonal quality of the RT35i over the RTi70 is tremendous! I mean huge! If you could just hear how much cleaner, cirsper, open the RT35i woofer sounds than the RTi70"

I thought the 70 was supposed to be just the greatest speaker ever in the history of the world by anybody, ESPECIALLY on midrange. What's up with that?
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Troy,
    All your posts are taken in with care.

BS,
    Your post are read with an attitude of your name initials. Pure BS.

Now back to Troy,
    I will post back with my direct comparison, I will take direct notes, infact - I will scan them of what I think each sounds like. I will spend 1 week listening to the RT35i, 1 week with the RTi70, and 2 weeks with the stacked combo. Not in any particular order. I will try my best to describe exactly what I am talking about. My opinions change often, I think I found the combination I like though. The RTi70 and RT35i mixed is a great sounding setup. To me.

BS,
    The 70 is not the greatest speaker in the world. The greatest sounding speaker I have heard is the SRT and the Wilson Audio X-1.

Troy,
    I understand why you want answers to my opinions, and I will definetely try to answer them. Right now it is hard to explain, so I will try my best when I get my review on. Also, I am sorry for all things that I have said the past couple of days. It has not been a good week for me. Please forgive me.

Will keep ya'll posted.
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    My opinions change often

That, my friends, is the absolute fault in subjective ratings. We have battled this for years with what we refer to as "jury tests" where up to four people sit in a car and give their ratings for NVH (noise, vibration and harshness). Peoples ratings can change drastically for the silliest of reasons. Mood swings, big meals, Friday afternoon, hangovers, you name it. All these things and more affect what we think sounds good or bad when the truth is nothing has changed. We have gone as far on numerous occasions to not make any changes to a vehicle at all; perform one test in the morning and repeat it in the afternoon. Guess what?? Totally different results just because they thought it should be different and therefore it must be when in reality nothing changed at all. Silly humans...

Wally
  • SteveH
    SteveH Posts: 4
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Audio opinions are notoriously subjective. Blind tests have usually shown people to greatly overestimate their ability to discern differences accurately.

The Classic ABX tests:
    http://www.pcavtech.com/abx/abx_data.htm
    Hard to say those cables opened up the soundstage when you really can't tell the difference.
    I also remember a Stereo Review test which showed trained listeners could not tell the difference between amplifiers. Created quite a ruckus-needless to say that isn't done much anymore since the manufacturers pay for ads.
    Or when Consumer Reports did a double blind test and downrated Bose and got sued.

Certainly speakers sound different, but which is more correct? How do you know? Your opinions change because you change. You may prefer certain colorations. All speakers butcher the sound pretty badly compared with amps, cables, etc. Its very difficult to choose. Even comparing side by side with level matching is suspect due to knowledge of the choice. That's why pharmaceuticals are double blind tested. I personally find reviews of audio equipment to be pretty much worthless-almost everything is somehow very highly rated-more so if it is very expensive.
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Blind tests have usually shown people to greatly overestimate their ability to discern differences accurately.

No kidding. I replaced my Toslink interconnect (between the Sony DVD <-->Sony TA-E9000ES) for a Belden 89259 with Eichmann Bullet Plug's only to find the Toslink revield more Bass.
    Maybe the coax needs a 'burn in' time or maybe I should listen "thinking" the 89259 should sound better.

Dan