RT800i vs. RTi70

Options
PolkThug
PolkThug Posts: 7,532
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Are the differences between the RT800i and the RTi70 just cosmetic?
Post edited by PolkThug on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Different crossover, and different tweeter composition.

And yes, the obvious, the 800 looked COOL, the 70 is UGLY. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    the obvious, the 800 looked COOL, the 70 is UGLY. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ

HUH?

They look the same.. better finish outside.. better grill IMHO.. what gives
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I'm guessing Mr. Winky-Eye holds the answer to the last question..
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Oh i see.. LOL
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Actually Mr. Winky was there to keep the ****-hairs down.

Imo, the current (closeout) RTi line looks like hell. I much prefered the old 'velvin' or valvin (whatever they called it) material on the cabs. The grilles seemed a lot more sturdy back 'then' also.

Not a big fan of neodymium tweets either, vifa or not.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2003
    Options
    My 800i's are the best ever speaker in audio history! There is no way they can be beat in any shootout!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

HBomb:D
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I'll have to agree with Russ, and not because I own them. The RT800i is a nicer looking speaker than the RTi70.

The cabinet finish on the RT800i is more natural looking and less glossy. And the new grille fabric on the RTi70 is cheesy looking.

And just this past weekend, I had tour2 and BDT and Russ over for a shoot-out and they brought the CA's and the DQ-10's and the SRS' and my lowly RT800i's smoked 'em all - hands down and I almost forgot, HBomb was there too as a witness...........and this one time, in band camp, I stuck a flute up my ****........
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec

And just this past weekend, I had tour2 and BDT and Russ over for a shoot-out and they brought the CA's and the DQ-10's and the SRS' and my lowly RT800i's smoked 'em all - hands down and I almost forgot, HBomb was there too as a witness...........and this one time, in band camp, I stuck a flute up my ****........

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Good 1 Doc!:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    waaaaaa.....
    that's great, Doc! never seen that Pie' side of your personality...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    Options
    he's been in rare form.. its great!!!!!
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    and this one time, in band camp, I stuck a flute up my ****........
    ... and that cat never forgave him...

Anyway, I think Russ should be fined for misuse of Mr. Winky-eye...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Lookit Doc.....

I don't like the black finish (I do like the cherry) and I don't like the shiny grill cloth. I also prefer the flat silver logo as opposed to the plastic bubble colored one.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • PolkThug
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I guess I'll just have to wait til they are available at CC and listen to them, then maybe use the CC upgrade plan, and trade in my old (by 2 months) RTi70's. I'm not a fan of that "bubble" they put in the middle of the 800's though.
  • PolkThug
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Wait a sec! Now there is an "RTi8" which looks different yet. What the heck is going on here?
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited October 2003
    Options
    RTi70's rule!
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The Rti70's and family look cheaper than the rt800i's line-up.

Polk seemed to "sacrifice" looks for a competitve market. Cheaper grill, bad veneer finish, cheaper price and I don't know why but they got rid of the bevel for their center channel and rear surrounds ?! I thought you were suppose to keep things sonically equal for all speakers ?!

Now with the new rt series coming soon- Polk seems to be going back to their roots. No cutting corners with finish, bolster the build quality, and give it a sexy look!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Owning the RTi70.

I personally like the grill.

I also like the finish and build quality. Alot of my family members comment on the look of my speakers, which is usually a jaw drop and a half.

I have a RTxxxi grill infront of me, and a RTixxx grill infront of me. I tell ya, I think Polk made the RTixxx grill like that for sonic purposes. The RTixxx grill moves ALOT less than the RTxxxi grill. I mean alot less, which to me would make the sound come through the grills alot cleaner since the grills are not reverberating with the woofer. If that makes sense.

I also like the old RTxxxi look, with the plastic front and back. I like that look over the all wood. However, I like the newer wood over the older wood.

Now the sound, thats a different story for a different time.

Just my opinion, I am very picky with looks, and wouldn't own something that looooooooooooked completely terrible. I like both looks and sounds.

EDIT:

I will say this, by the end of it all, I might end up owning all generations of the RT line up. I may end up with another pair of RT35i or RT35 (I WILL NOT OWN THE RTI38....BLEH!!!!!!!!). I plan to purchase the CSi5 for my center channel, and I don't like the look of the CS400i, and I want cleaner midrange than the CSi40 for my center channel. Just MO.

EDIT #2:
    SInce I have seen the new black oak veneers. I will say the RT800i and RTi70 don't own junk to that wood right there. That is some NICE wood they used. Very nice!

EDIT #3:
    The grills on the RTi70, I have had them for about a month or so now. I must say, my room is prone to dust and these grills have ZERO dust, hairs, dirt, grime, you name it on them. They are spotlessly clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now the RT35i needs a cleaning like no other. I think I will go do that now.

- SiD
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • hamzahsh
    hamzahsh Posts: 439
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I love my RT800i too. They are pretty looking speakers. They use Tri-laminate tweeter as opposed to RTi70's Silk Dome tweeter.

In my opinion Tri-laminate sounds better than silk dome. Silk dome is more for HT than Music.

800i's have no harshness. The sound is warm, clear, crisp, bright, clean depends on the type of A/V Receiver or Pre/Pro Amp you use. They are balanced for both HT and Music.

The old RTi line wins hands down!:D
    Panasonic TH-50PX80U Plasma HDTV
    Polk Audio RT800i (fronts)
    Polk Audio CS400i (center)
    Polk Audio F/X1000 (side surrounds)
    Polk Audio RTi6 (back surrrounds)
    Velodyne CHT-15 (subwoofer)
    Yamaha RX-V1400 (Pre/Pro)
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
    Adcom GFA-7605 (5-ch Amp)
    Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD/CD player)
    Malata DVP-580 (Multi-region DVD player)
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    I want cleaner midrange than the CSi40 for my center channel.

What makes you think that the CSi5 will have "cleaner midrange" than the 40?
  • TroyD
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mjk91383

Good question, actually. I didn't know Sid owned the CSi40. I'm also perplexed in that I'm pretty sure that the drivers in the CSi40 and the RTi70 are the same and the RTi70 seems to be the cat's meow. :rolleyes:

I'd actually say that the grills on the RTi and RT series that I've had actually had sturdier grills than the LSi's (I don't know about the new RTi's) that I have now.

BDT
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mjk91383

Because I've heard it ;), and is my opinion. Not a fact.

EDIT: Thing about the CSi5 that the CSi40 took the floor with was the bass. The 40 had much more bass in my op. The CSi5 took the floor in the mids and highs.

Just MO. I have heard the 40 also, of course in CC. So opinions may vary. I heard the CSi5 in Polk Audio HQ in Baltimore.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    edited October 2003
    Options
    RUCY! you got some 'splainin' to do.

Ok, by what I can read, as far as you are concerned, the RTi70 leaves nothing to be desired. Now, take the same drivers, drop 'em into a center channel and now the midrange is muddy?

BDT
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Troy,
    You obviously have a low comprehenion skills. I will not comply and shall ignore upon my own request. You obviously did not follow my threads and obviously do not know what I like and dislike in this moment in time.

I personally feel the RTi70 has MUCH to be desired for, where as the stacked combo has much less to be desired for. The entire speaker sound is altered. The brightness of the 70 is smoothed out between the different drivers. The sound is much cleaner and more natural. I also made a post about the RTi Driver Materials in this part of the forum. To me the ixxx series has a very enclosed sound, with a ton of slam, which to me has its own appeal. Where as the RTxxxi line was more open and detailed, with a crisper sound, but not as smoother in some respects to the ixxx line.

I personally would have taken the RT800i over the RTi70 anyday of the week if the 800i came with a full 5 year warranty.
  • TroyD
    edited October 2003
    Options
    No, I think my reading comprehension is just fine and I seem to be able to keep my story straight.....

I refer you to this thread in which it seemed like a pretty ringing endorsement of the the RTi70:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11618&highlight=RTi70

Best of the RTi line? No mention or suggestion of midrange muddiness? Are we talking about the same speaker?

But, what the hell would I know compared to a 14yr old, eh? Oh, and I suggest you ditch the attitude, son. I'm just asking questions about the obvious disparities in your stories. If you don't like it or can't deal with it, don't let the door hit you in the ****.

Troy
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    No need to explain myself. I am writing an updated review later on this month, will make sure to keep you posted oh so mighty Troy.

My replacement RT35i tweeter is here. Goodbye
  • TroyD
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I didn't realize that so much had changed in, what, two whole weeks?

Hey, you are the one that's laying all this stuff out there, I'm just asking for some clarification is all.

Troy
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It's been over a month, and yes. Things can change in a month.

I'm gone, if you need to talk to me - Screen name is listed in profile. I see your online.

- SiD
    To me the ixxx series has a very enclosed sound, with a ton of slam, which to me has its own appeal. Where as the RTxxxi line was more open and detailed, with a crisper sound, but not as smoother in some respects to the ixxx line.
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited October 2003
    Options
    To me the ixxx series has a very enclosed sound, with a ton of slam, which to me has its own appeal.
    The RTi70 is a more wide spread speaker, as it can easily fill my entire room with sound.

Enclosed? Widespread?

Wow, sounds like a lot can change over the course of a month or so.
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You don't understand. Have you ever heard a RTxxxi speaker? I know every owner of them that switched over to the newer line knows what I am talking about that thinks something is missing.

I have a RTxxxi speaker sitting directly on top of my RTi70. I will say this in the most un-harmful fashion I can manage. The RTi70 has gotta have the driest sounding midrange, along with EVERY RTixxx line. You hear reviewers saying "Far away, dull, forgotten, not exactly with you." When reviewing the RTi150, thats because that one mid-bass has gotta be the most enclosed sounding, blanket-covered sounding mid-bass I have heard. The RTi70 has a very forward sounding mid-bass, and also at the same time has that muffled sound. However I will say this, the soundstage is mostly on the outside of the speaker, IE: More side based that center based unlike the RTxxxi speaker. The soundstage is not as pin point, however I did describe it as pin point accurate, which it is in vocals. Just when I pulled the RT35i out on top of it (Yes, being one only) the soundstage was so much more center based even with one on, the opposite type of soundstage follows the RT35i though. Very center based, and not so outter based.

The overal tonal quality of the RT35i over the RTi70 is tremendous! I mean huge! If you could just hear how much cleaner, cirsper, open the RT35i woofer sounds than the RTi70. Although, at the same time, with the dual mid-bass they both gain the same clearness to an exstent, however still has that same overall quality of enclosure.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the RTi70 sound, I still do. It has its own appeal as I said. I just like the way the RTxxxi and RTixxx compliment each other while working together. The results to me are fabulous!

I'm sorry to say, why do you think the RTixxx line didn't last long? Wouldn't Polk change the line because it didn't sell. I mean really, 1.5 years? From seeing what I saw at their HQ, they must have went straight into R&D on the line coming out right now, as soon as they released the RTixxx line, or soon after. That just tells me something that they didn't like how something went.

The above post may make people mad. I don't care, I honestly don't. I've made fewer and fewer post on this forum each day, and today is an exception to absence.

I like the sound of both lines, but they each succeed where the other falters.

Now, I made this post trying to make it the most unholing post, that is complete in hopes that Troy will just get off my back. It is my opinion, nothing more. If you feel different, great.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sid,
    If you find the mids too "dry" sounding, a change in amp or pre amp can really juice them up. I started listening to my 800i again using the ASL pre and NAD amp. Now they sound much better than before when I tried using them with a NAD pre and amp.

Maurice