Squeezebox Touch-tips, tricks & tweaks

Options

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I ended up buying a duet controller, I love that thing. Sit on my couch and punch up music. Wicked cool.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2012
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    Another worthy source of power supply upgrades is Bolder Cable.

Looking at your system, I bet that sounds real nice.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Another worthy source of power supply upgrades is Bolder Cable.

Yes, I used a Bolder modded ELPAC power supply for my previous SQB III
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited March 2012
    Options
    And that same power supply will work just fine with the SBT.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Yes, I used a Bolder modded ELPAC power supply for my previous SQB III
    And that same power supply will work just fine with the SBT.

I sold it with the SQB III because at the time I was told it didn't have enough voltage. Doesn't matter the Welborne looks much cooler :lol:

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Yes. I have 'em both, one in my 2-channel system and the other in my office headphone setup. For a while I was moving one SBT back and forth between the two systems, but I got a second SBT now. I now have two SBT's, one SB3, two SB Radios, and one Boom!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Thanks guys. Appreciate all the helpful hints. As I said, I'll be re-reading this thread over the weekend. A PSU upgrade will be next then.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Don't feel like you're behind the curve, I'm still learning what different options do.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I would hold off on the mods and work on the system and getting it to sound the way you like first. Work on getting it all setup, then work on the dac angle and pre amp before throwing money at SB mods.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Drenis
    edited March 2012
    Options
    So while I didn't get ANY time to read this thread again, I did do some more tweaks. Still have some reading up on why some music stations play and others don't. Still need to sort my very messy lossless music media folder.

I was able to determine that the issue I was experiencing is with the app I use to access my SQBT. It reads the files but upon selection does a blank and the SQBT plays nothing (and shows nothing). When you access the files via the remote on the SQBT itself, files play fine. So something in the app is not updating or working properly.

Also, is there anyway to have LMS continuously scan for updated media? I always have to rescan anytime I add materiel in that directory. I was very frustrated on Sunday when trying to play a sing for my other half and it wouldn't show up in the artists list. :evil: Had to open LMS and tell it to rescan and voila...

Also noticed the sound has changed a bit. Not sure if thats due to burn in or some setting changes I made. But sound is fuller, bass has expanded and is now fuller to what it SHOULD sound like. Also the second set of MIT's I have in my setup are about a full week and a half burnt in. I'm really diggin' the sound... and so is my other half.

I put on one of her favorite songs (Coheed & Cambria - Welcome Home) and have her take a listen for her impressions from hearing it on MP3 to now lossless with the addition of the SQBT and DAC with MIT's. Well she noticed a difference. She said it was like you were front and center and the songs made a very exciting performance. What's weird is when I turn it up to a reasonable level... not even 1 watt, maybe 80db and she grabs the remote and starts turning it up to probably 95db and I'm watching the lights on the Carver climb. Rather funny in a sense but we both love the ease of use and how clear the sound is. Has me pondering my next upgrade... cross overs or new speakers. She seems to like the bright sound... I know crossover upgrades will help the musical aspect of my speakers... ahh this damn rabbit hole.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Re-scanning after adding music has to be done. There's no auto scan that I'm aware of. A scan for "new or changed music" should only take less than a minute. The "Clear and re-scan" takes a lot longer. You only need to do the latter on rare occasions.

Sounds like the app you're using is flawed.

Others have debated with me on this--but I still believe that the music being read from a Hard Drive sounds smoother than from a CD player. I believe it has to do with the method of reading the data....
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012
    Options
    You always have to rescan after adding new music to your database. How does SQB know you added music? Just because you rip it to the HD, doesn't mean SQB knows it's there. The ripping has nothing to do with the SQB so you have to "tell" the software (by asking it to scan) there is new music added. Although the newer version of the software may have an auto feature, I'm not sure though.

Scan for new music not the entire database scan. As Steve said it should take less than a couple minutes.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2012
    Options
    As an example, I burned 2 new CD's to my library this weekend. The Re-scan for "new or changed" scan took like 25 seconds to add the 2 CD's. I currently have 387 CD's in my library, all flac.
  • jaycam
    jaycam Posts: 100
    edited March 2012
    Options
    There is an auto scan feature buried in the settings. I have mine set to scan every night...I some times upload music remotely. I don't remember where the setting is but I can check later tonight when I get home.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Cool...I didn't know that. You're running LMS right? Of course this would require the computer being on 24/7.
  • jaycam
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Okay, here you go!

First, launch LMS Control Panel
    Click the "Advanced" tab
    Click the "Advanced Settings" button; your web browser will open
    Click the "Advanced" tab
    Select "Rescan Library" from the drop down menu
    Set "Rescan Timer" to on
    Select your rescan time
    Select your rescan type

You're done!
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012
    Options
    That's a good idea, but if it's set to scan everyday at 10PM and you put a bunch of music in at say 10AM and want to hear it, you still have to rescan it manually to hear it instantly. But that is a good option for someone like myself who is waaaaayyyyyyy behind on scanning to add a few discs each night and then the system will automatically update the scan. Otherwise I see no use for it, or necessarily helping Drenis when he wants to scan and listen.

H9
  • jaycam
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I agree. I would be nice it would actually monitor the folder and add music to the library as it's added to the folder. It doesn't solve the problem of wanting to listen to music you just ripped or added right after adding it...guess that's why they offer the manual scan :-)
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Logitec obviously does not know we are impatient listeners. LOL.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I just tell LMS to rescan as I put away the last CD of the stack that I just ripped to the server.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Drenis
    edited March 2012
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Re-scanning after adding music has to be done. There's no auto scan that I'm aware of. A scan for "new or changed music" should only take less than a minute. The "Clear and re-scan" takes a lot longer. You only need to do the latter on rare occasions.

Sounds like the app you're using is flawed.

Others have debated with me on this--but I still believe that the music being read from a Hard Drive sounds smoother than from a CD player. I believe it has to do with the method of reading the data....

Thanks. Wasn't sure if there was an option to automatically monitor and update without having to re-scan.
    You always have to rescan after adding new music to your database. How does SQB know you added music? Just because you rip it to the HD, doesn't mean SQB knows it's there. The ripping has nothing to do with the SQB so you have to "tell" the software (by asking it to scan) there is new music added. Although the newer version of the software may have an auto feature, I'm not sure though.

Scan for new music not the entire database scan. As Steve said it should take less than a couple minutes.

:rolleyes: I don't think my question merited a cheap shot... your statement is cheeky. But thanks for the (unnecessarily long) answer...
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I wasn't being cheeky at all, just throwing some logic out there. Loosen up, and don't think everything is directed to be a personal shot at you.
  • nspindel
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I mentioned this earlier, but if you know where you've put the music that you've added, one alternative to scanning is just browse to it directly via music folder. As soon as you browse into music that it's never seen before, it immediately adds the entire folder to the library.
  • Drenis
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I wasn't being cheeky at all, just throwing some logic out there. Loosen up, and don't think everything is directed to be a personal shot at you.

*delete*

Maybe I'm just having a bad day...
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012
    Options
    It's all good Andre :smile:

Glad you are enjoying the SQB.

H9
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Hey guys had an issue with my sbt this morning. Had been working perfectly last night and then when I tried it this morning, it couldn't read any of my library. Tried everything I could think of. Rebooted the touch itself rebooted the pc I'm running Logitech server from and also rebooting the server itself. None of it worked. And when I rescanned library in Lms the tracks went to zero. Finally I just reinstalled Lms and at least it's recognizing the server and is rescanning the music. Hopefully it will work when done scanning. Anyone else have this issue before?
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Thankfully working now.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I downloaded a Luther Vandross mp3 from Amazon and evidently you get the album art too. For some reason the Luther Vandross album art shows up for half of my library. It won't start out that way...I'll have the correct art but at some point it changes to the Luther art :^ / Tried rescanning several times....haven't tried re-installing.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • sandworms
    sandworms Posts: 1,043
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I was thinking of a PS upgrade and searching this thread I can't find anything on the Pangea ps, is this worth consideration or a waste of money
    Samsung pn64f8500
    Sonus faber venere 2.5
    Sf venere center
    Oppo 105d
    Squeezebox touch
    Parasound hca1500a
    Apc power filter
    Audioquest cables asst
    Polk rtia3 SB
    Polk fxia6 sl,sr
    Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

• Drenis
    edited April 2012
    Options
    beek wrote: »
    I have had exp. with other extended supplies & the differences are only minimal, unless you can find someone to build one with a tremendous capacity it would be costly & prob not worth it

:evil: leave now troll