Dumb Question...but what is "bi-wiring"?

Options
pbc74
pbc74 Posts: 63
can someone please explain what this means? Thanks.
Main system:

Fronts: Infinity Alpha 50
Center: Infinity Alpha 37c
Surrounds: Infinity Alpha 20
Receiver: Onkyo TS-XR607
Subwoofer: Pioneer S-DW1-K
Cable- Monster Cable XP

Bedroom Setup:

fronts- Polk R50
surrounds- Polk R30
center- CS1
sub- Sony 50 watt
AVR- Onkyo TSXR502
Cable- Monster Cable XP
Post edited by pbc74 on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hey pbc, welcome to the forum. There are many experts on this forum, I am not one, but I'll try and help you out. Bi-wiring is running two speaker cables from the amp to the two separate binding posts on the speaker. You need two separate posts to bi-wire and you must remove the gold plates that connect the +s and -s. I believe the theory is that the low current high frequecy signals are separated from higher current low frequency signals thus reducing electromagnetic interference that you could have with one cable. If I dont remember correctly then someone will come along to set me straight.
    Graham
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited September 2003
    Options
    No question is a dumb question :) Welcome and here is a pic to further explain your question. What setup you got?
    Life without music would
  • Pauly
    edited September 2003
    Options
    ok it wouldnt let me post it so see this thread for it...:p http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12511
    Life without music would
  • malikarshad
    malikarshad Posts: 527
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Check out this site. you'll find an extensive explanation of bi-wiring
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/audio/biwire/Page1.html

Speakers=>Salk Soundscape 8, Soundscape Center,Surrounds-Dali Rubicon LCR, Lsi7
    PreAmp, Amp => Marantz AV8801, ATI 6007 amp, Oppo HA-1 DAC
    Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
    Sub - JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18")
    Power - Furman IT-Ref20i on dedicated 30Amp circuit with Furutech GTX-R outlet
    Screen=> JVC RS-45 projector Da-Lite HP 133" 2.35
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the link, malikarshad. A lot more on the site for reading later...

As for the bi-wire exercise... a lot of effort, even with the generous assumptions, to conclude "maybe/ maybe not... depends on the listener". That is pretty much what an empirical sampling of the members would produce...

Welcome pbc..
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • pbc74
    pbc74 Posts: 63
    edited September 2003
    Options
    thanks for all the responses! that answered my question.

spasticpitbull- I'm just getting started with Polk. I have R30 fronts, R15 surrounds, and a CSI20 center. It's an upgrade for me because I had a cheapie pioneer setup from circuit city. I just recently upgraded all my speakers with their upgrade program. Right now I have a Kenwood VR605 receiver that I will eventually get an Onkyo to replace it.
    Main system:

Fronts: Infinity Alpha 50
    Center: Infinity Alpha 37c
    Surrounds: Infinity Alpha 20
    Receiver: Onkyo TS-XR607
    Subwoofer: Pioneer S-DW1-K
    Cable- Monster Cable XP

Bedroom Setup:

fronts- Polk R50
    surrounds- Polk R30
    center- CS1
    sub- Sony 50 watt
    AVR- Onkyo TSXR502
    Cable- Monster Cable XP
  • Pauly
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I am right there with you. I have well taken advantage of the CC upgrade program. And am still upgrading. The wife hates it but....Oh well! Good luck!:D
    Life without music would