Cool ... finally Kimber Kable 8TC biwire speaker cable

Options
pjdami
pjdami Posts: 1,894
Okay for a few weeks now I have been pondering that something was missing in my two channel rig which consists of a B&K PT5 preamp, B&K ST125.2 amp, Myryad Z110 cd player, and LSi 9s. So based on some positive feedback from Dan and others I purchase the Kimber Hero ICs. Better and improved but something was still missing. Although the sound is very good (I was using single run Transparent Musicwave speaker cable with the Transparent jumpers) the B&K / LSi sound was almost too dark, veiled, or rolled off in the highs compared to how my Rotel rig sounded. I complained about the LSi 9 having a threshold volume to "wake-up" before one could hear the details. Since my two channel rig is in my office, I usually don't put the volume to high but prefer nice background music in the 70 - 75 db range from my listening position. I was at the point where I thought I wanted to get into some different speakers for the office. The sound was just too laid back and warm for me. The Studio 40's I have would get substituted for a while, but over long listening periods at the computer the Studios would tend to be fatiguing to listen to especially since my ears have been trained for the LSi sound. The LSi just have a better ambience and air to them.

Okay, so I keep hearing all these good things about the Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cable. I find a "good" deal on the internet for some 8TC biwire at $14/foot terminated nicely with bananas. I purchased an 8 foot pair and have been burning them in for about 10 hours so far. The 8TC is a braided 8 wire cable. The cables I bought, they used 3 of the wires for the highs and the other 5 for the lows to make the biwire.

So how does it sound? Wow... very detailed and forward sounding yet smooth with no fatigue. At lower volumes the LSi 9 have the detail I have been looking for. The rolled off highs are gone. Perfect balance in fact. I hope the burn-in doesn't get much more than this but it may mellow out a tad bit more. I actually had the treble +2 db before the new wire now I have everything flat again. I am thinking the Musicwave had slightly deeper bass but not by much. Midrange sounds a little more relaxed than the way the Rotel rig sounds.

So far so good.
Post edited by pjdami on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Very Cool man,

Transparent and Kimber sound very different.I have found Transparent to work here and not Kimber and visa versa.Kimber is the corredct wire for my rig and I'm loving there sound or lack of there is.The Kimber seems as you found to add some sparkle on the top that I felt as need and or lost with the Transparent.But when you have a hot rig then the Transparents can cure and smooth everything out.

The correct wire for the job is key.

How about some more pic's my friend....

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pjdami
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Dan,

Check out my system showcase. The two channel rig I have to replace the overall picture with the new kimber wire.

The company I bought these from you can also get the factory Kimber spade terminations for $55 more. The banana terminations they did they say are approved by Kimber and the wire has a one year warranty on them.

If you want better pictures of the wire let me know. I can email them to you. They did a very professional job with the terminations and heat shrink wrap.

The sound on the B&k rig wow .. i'm diggin it now bigtime. I actually prefered the Rotel sound before this new wire... now I'm torn again... but its all good.

Thanks so much for your advice.
    Paul
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hey Paul yes E mail me some pic's.Torn huh well so was I when I owned both.Rotle makes fantastic sounding gear.But so does B&K with more features.As you know I picked B&K over Rotel......not an easy decesion.The Transparent I perferred with Rotel and Kimber with B&K.....funny your rigs are the same...we have similar ears.

Send away my friend and I will check out the showcase.

Kimber got a new Digital X series digital cable on the market I picked one up.It's not on the website or have I had time to call Kimber.It's not a big deal but nice build quality with there Tipical Kimber plated ends.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Paul, great review! ain't this thing supposed to stop anytime soon?? I meant the never ending "tweaks" to this audio improvement pursuits ;)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hey PJDAMI,
    The Kimbers were a little bright for my Rt's, but their perfect for my now LSI"S. They definately are perfect with the 9's, they add an openess or presence to the top and higher midrange. If I could find any weakness with them it was in the Bass area, that's why I went with the 4tc's and kept the Monsters on the LF. I know you have the Bi-wires, if you feel like playing some day, put the Musicwaves on the LF and see what you think.
    Personally I notice a little bit of the much noted "wake up", but I had the same thing with the RT's as well.
    I'm surprised you didn't get more of a bang out of the Heros, I love those things, for me it was as dramatic a differece as the TC"s, I'm sure it has a lot to do with equipment as well.
    Enjoy, Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2003
    Options
    What company did you buy them from? web address?

Thanks!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • pjdami
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I found about this company on Audiogon. These are new cables though with a one year warranty.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?cablspkr&1067813183

The company's website is found here:

The wires came in packaged extremely well with bubble wrap protection. They even threw in a couple of velcro straps for wire management.

I am really enjoying these cables. They sound very open, true, and detailed. Stuff, yes they are a bit bass shy compared to the Transparent Music Wave but not by much. The mids and highs are killer sounding on the LSi 9 though with my B&K and Heros.

Here's a closer picture of the terminations that they did along with the packaging:

http://www.pnfaudio.com/
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Has anyone ventured higher up the line from the Heros? As in Silver Streak or KCAG.

I would be very interested in hearing them and what people have to say about em. I have the Heros and love them.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Options
    That audiogon link has some outstanding prices for Kimber - About half what they *should* be in the store.

Makes you go hmmmm.....

Cheers
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I'd say, the only thing is some of them are 0.5 meters. When I get home I'm going to have to see if that's long enough for my system and maybe snatch something up.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I just hope they're still around when it's cable upgrade time!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15