are you a bass head?

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
ok. so you are you a bass head? When listening to music, do you like to have deep thumping bass in your home? I don't really.. some bass adds to the music.. but to much and it can ruin it.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I like a fat, warm sound; but nothing too boomy. Alot of music needs that extra oomph and that last hz of extension to really come alive and not sound anemic and boring.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,072
    edited September 2003
    Options
    i like a blend, but i prefer to pressurize the room around me
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2003
    Options
    i can never get enough bass. i am planning my upgrade to my sub but i might need more power to drive all my amps.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I like a fat, warm sound; but nothing too boomy. Alot of music needs that extra oomph and that last hz of extension to really come alive and not sound anemic and boring.

Well put rs. My thoughts and preference exactly!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited September 2003
    Options
    My long and short on this......
    I like the hear and feel the music or movie I am listening to and or watching.The ability to replay all freq's is my goal.My stand is balance.The system needs to work like a system.Bass is a part of the system.

Some may go off the deep end with sub's.A properly calabrated sub will blend in with the system as it isn't even there.If you can hear the sub then it's not set up correctly.

I think the whole sub thing some take it to far.It's there to complete a part of the audio that most speakers simply cannot do.

Sub's in my opnion and remember that a sub is only a sub if it can play down to 20hz solid.If it can't you have nothing more then a powered speaker box.Sound quality differ's greatly between sub's that can and subs that cannot.

In the end home theater needs a subwoofer to be a modern day home theater.Before we go into WHAT IS HOME THEATER allow me to voice my definition....Home thater of today requires at least 5 speakers and a sub.Dolby digital and DTS have at least 6 channels.In order to replace all the channels you need to have all the speakers.Higher standard would be 8 speakers including 2 surround back channels.

2 channel music also can benefit from a sub unless your speakers can play to 20HZ solid.If they can't then a sub bass system would fill in the rest of the audio.Blending is key.

Well thats how I look at it.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Ditto Dan's post - nothing to add. Great post.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • redhouse
    redhouse Posts: 78
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Well said right on. I learned this the hard way when I upgraded my sub to the servo 15 it sounded weak to me because I was used to hearing booming bass not well blended. But after listening to this sub with my system man it's so awesome you don't know it's there, you feel it. Music is so full and movie dialog is so full and real. So with home theater if your sub and speakers are not set right, when you hear someones whose system is set right, your mouth will water. I thought about upgrading the R30's but there are not any other polks that fit under the screen without showing up on screen. But for real I demoed some other speakers from polk and other brands and the R30's are just as good and sound just as awesome. Great job Polk that even your entry level speakers are kick ****.