Wyred DAC-1 vs Benchmark DAC-1 (NON USB)

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited August 2011
    You should let the Benchmark and M1 get some solid burn-in before making a final decsion. 100 hours would be fair enough I think.

Cool, nice read and thanks for posting it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited August 2011
    A dac chip is only part of the puzzle, and in my opinion, the least important. Too many other variables determines what comes out the other end.

Agree with Mark, let some burn in time rub in and do another listen.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited August 2011
    tonyb wrote: »
    A dac chip is only part of the puzzle, and in my opinion, the least important. Too many other variables determines what comes out the other end.

Agree with Mark, let some burn in time rub in and do another listen.

Agreed about the DAC chip being a small part of the puzzle. Proof of that is this 13 year old Parasound DAC sounding better, in some respects, than the 2 other newer DACs. It has a great output/analog section.

And as far as the NFB goes, I'm not expecting it to sound like a W4S, I'm hoping that it sounds BETTER than a W4S!:biggrin:

"Fully discrete amp without any OPA , couple caps ,non- feedback analog output stage and non-feedback Class A power supplys .
    Uses three R-core transformers (135W total), one 35W R-core supplies power for digital parts, another two 50W R-cores supplies power for analogy parts. The power transformers and rectifiers are carefully shielded from the electric field of the power transformers and rectifiers' frequency transmission. More than 45,000uf audio grade NOVER capacitors are used to ensure ample and smooth power feed. The NOVER capacitors are specially custom order from NOVER (U.K.) according to Audio GD?s requirement. A total of 16 PSU groups are used to purify the power supply. To achieve Silent operation, the control circuit is powered with separate regulator.
    Uses mostly DALE and Vishay resistors, WIMA ,EVOX capacitors and a lot SOLEN caps. The electrolyte capacitors are custom ordered from NOVER (a UK brand), Sanyo OS caps, and exact-matched transistors. RCA sockets are custom ordered and 24k gold-plated. All transistors are Toshiba and Hitachi."
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    pics of the setup.

The Parasound DAC is the second Parasound piece from the top.

As you can see, the Paraound DAC is about twice as large as the M1 which is about twice as large as the Benchmark, not that it's the size that counts...:tongue:
    1.jpg 208.4K
    2.jpg 152K
    3.jpg 179.4K
    4.jpg 147.6K
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,155
    edited August 2011
    Those Nover caps are used in the least expensive Chinese gear around. They are very popular in those inexpensive designs.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited August 2011
    pics of the setup.

The Parasound DAC is the second Parasound piece from the top.

As you can see, the Paraound DAC is about twice as large as the M1 which is about twice as large as the Benchmark, not that it's the size that counts...:tongue:

Is that some longboard lager I see in the first pic?:biggrin:

Interesting DAC comparisons too. Thanks for sharing.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    headrott wrote: »
    Is that some longboard lager I see in the first pic?:biggrin:

Interesting DAC comparisons too. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Good eye! Longboard indeed. Great summertime brew.

• falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Those Nover caps are used in the least expensive Chinese gear around. They are very popular in those inexpensive designs.

H9

hmm. I don't know much about cap bands. I guess I'll have to let my ears be the judge on this one.

• heiney9
    edited August 2011
    I reread my post, didn't intend to imply the dac you have is cheap. I was just a little surprised how the marketing dept made it sound like the Nover caps were something "special". I did have an inexpensive Chinese dac that used them and it was nothing special as far as sound, but I certainly couldn't say it was the caps fault since it's only a small part of the entire equation. I know Jake thinks that dac sounds really good. It seems to have all the things on paper that should make it sound excellent. I am scratching my head how they can offer the level of design for the price. Anxious to hear your impressions.

It's just something I've noticed over the years researching the more inexpensive Chinese gear like tube integrated amps, tube pre-amps and dac's. A good majority have Nover caps in them.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2011

It's just something I've noticed over the years researching the more inexpensive Chinese gear like tube integrated amps, tube pre-amps and dac's. A good majority have Nover caps in them.

H9

That's never a good sign.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited August 2011
    Great review falconcry and a very interesting read

It would be awesome if you got your hands on a w4s
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,535
    edited August 2011
    The "base" Benchmark is better suited to a system leaning to the warm side. I don't think I would call it "sterile" but it certainly digs deep into a recording, Keep in mind the base DAC1 doesn't have the upgraded op-amps of the USB, PRE, and HDR models. My DAC1/PRE is a perfect match to my Carbon 7 speakers; but the carbons have a laid back tonal balance.

Again, synergy is key.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    Great review falconcry and a very interesting read

It would be awesome if you got your hands on a w4s

I'm hoping that I'll like the NFB better than the other 3, in which case I will sell the others and pick up a W4S to compare to the NFB. If I don't like the NFB as much as the others, I'll sell it and still pick up a W4S to compare to the M1 and the Benchmark. So either way, a W4S is in my future. I am determined to determine the best DAC for the money for my system!

I really like that the W4S DAC2 has a remote; it would make evaluating sources soooo much easier, but I don't know if I can justify the extra money just for a remote, since I won't be using its async usb or preamp functions.

• falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    I reread my post, didn't intend to imply the dac you have is cheap. I was just a little surprised how the marketing dept made it sound like the Nover caps were something "special". I did have an inexpensive Chinese dac that used them and it was nothing special as far as sound, but I certainly couldn't say it was the caps fault since it's only a small part of the entire equation. I know Jake thinks that dac sounds really good. It seems to have all the things on paper that should make it sound excellent. I am scratching my head how they can offer the level of design for the price. Anxious to hear your impressions.

H9

Hey, man, no offense taken here!:smile: I like to learn.

I have a good feeling about this piece. I'm anxious to see how it stacks up to the others.

• dbaldus
    dbaldus Posts: 730
    edited August 2011
    This shootout is great and will be extremely valuable to many of us in the future as we're debating between these DACs.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    I'm hoping that I'll like the NFB better than the other 3...

Well, I hoped for it, and I got it!:biggrin:

The NFB-7 showed up yesterday, and wow. Solid piece of gear. Looks good, sounds good, and weighs near 40 lbs! Thanks again for the fast shipping and good packing, zingo.

So, spoiler alert...

The Audio GD NFB-7 wins.

I will post an in-depth assessment of the four DAC's that I compared in a couple days once I digest a little more, but for the time being I will say this:

It took me almost two weeks to pick a clear winner between the other three DAC's; it took me 30 seconds to pick the NFB-7 as the overall winner.

edit:

I'm very curious to put this DAC up against a W4S; I will not be suprised if it wins.

• heiney9
    edited August 2011
    Everytime I pick a 30 second winner later on after more listening it doesn't make the cut. :tongue::wink:

H9
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2011
    dbaldus wrote: »
    This shootout is great and will be extremely valuable to many of us in the future as we're debating between these DACs.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

I wouldn't go too overboard with the impressions of an individual. They're all quality DACS and just because one is adored by someone, doesn't mean it's going to be the sonic equal in your home.

Reviews usually suck since it's one dimensional and based on a singular setup. What's nice is that Falconry has taken the time to give each piece a try, let it settle, try it again and offer his observations. This is a process I extremely dislike doing and so I don't. Kudos to him for taking the time to get these products and really put them thru their respective paces.

If anything, it allows you to get some piecemeal information based on an honest evaluation. SteveinAZ did a great writeup on his Benchmark as well....if I recall correctly. It's all useful to a last minute decision but remember it's YOUR gear, not theirs'.
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    Everytime I pick a 30 second winner later on after more listening it doesn't make the cut. :tongue::wink:

H9

I know what you mean; for me that's especially true with speakers that are of a very different design than whatever speakers I'm used to listening to.

I don't think that's the case here, but I'll give it some time for sure.:smile:

• falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    dorokusai wrote: »
    ... It's all useful to a last minute decision but remember it's YOUR gear, not theirs'.

Even true within my own rig: I prefered the Benchmark with the SDA's but the M1 with the Maggies.

• steveinaz
    edited August 2011
    Yep. This stuff has soooo many variables attached. I don't think you can go wrong with any modern, well-reviewed/known brand.

As always, speakers are going to be the biggest factor.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    steveinaz wrote: »

As always, speakers are going to be the biggest factor.

Yep. Part of me wants to stop killing myself over all these dacs, USB converters, etc and refocus my energy towards speakers since I haven't found my just right pair yet. Speakers will define my overall sound way more than a slightly better dac. Dont get me wrong, sources, preamps, amps, cables, etc are important, but once they're "good", changing brands won't be nearly as dynamic a change as changing speakers.

• drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    edited August 2011
    When does the DI arrive?
    Are you planning on declaring a winner before you put it into the mix?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited August 2011
    As we say around here, everything matters. Speakers being of utmost priority. Find the right synergy, regardless of price, and just enjoy the tunes instead of chasing after the latest and greatest. Tubes,imho, have to be somewhere in the mix. Good luck on finding whats right for you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    drselect wrote: »
    When does the DI arrive?
    Are you planning on declaring a winner before you put it into the mix?

Got the DI yesterday. Amazingly fast shipping from hong kong... Actually faster than my bnc cable order from blue jeans that I ordered the same day but arrived today.

It is awesomely built and looks great, but so far I cant hear a difference between it and the vlink. I'll listen more this weekend and come back with a review of the USB to spdif converters as well as the dacs. Btw, I'm getting a great deal on a pair of 1.7's on Friday. Hopefully they'll sound better than my 1.6's.:cool:

• drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    edited August 2011
    I have the nfb3 and have been reading up on the DI trying to decide if it would worth trying.
    Enjoy your weekend its sounds like it won't get here soon enough.
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2011
    Yep. Part of me wants to stop killing myself over all these dacs, USB converters, etc and refocus my energy towards speakers since I haven't found my just right pair yet. Speakers will define my overall sound way more than a slightly better dac. Dont get me wrong, sources, preamps, amps, cables, etc are important, but once they're "good", changing brands won't be nearly as dynamic a change as changing speakers.

Once you find the right speakers, the rest will fade to the background; and you'll realize what caused all the tail-chasing--I've been there, and done that. IMO, speakers do a lot more than "slightly" improve your sound. DAC differences are miniscule by comparison, IME.

9 times out of 10, if you find yourself forever changing cables, components, etc---IT'S THE SPEAKERS. Seriously. Now that I've found the right speaker for me, I could hook up a $29 Sony walkman as my source, and thoroughly enjoy it.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2011
    The room is the most important, then speakers, then gear, then tweaks(cables, etc...).
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited August 2011
    I'm happy with my W4S DAC doubt I will let it go anytime soon, something magical when used with a tube pre!!

Have you tried our DAC2 without the preamp?
    design is where science and art break even.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2011
    I have. I have the W4S Dac2 as well, I've tested it straight into my amp with the volume controlled via the W4S. It works, sounds fine, not saying anything against it. But I also have a tube pre, and I also wouldn't be without it.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.