Wyred DAC-1 vs Benchmark DAC-1 (NON USB)

Options
falconcry72
falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
edited January 2012 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm in the market for a sub $1000 DAC, hopefully closer to 500-700.

I'm looking at the Benchmark DAC-1 and the Wyred for Sound DAC-1, both preferably on the used market.

I will be using my PC as my main source, but I will also be using a Musical Fidelity V-Link, which is a nice asynchronous USB to SPDIF converter, so for the purpose of this thread the afformentioned DAC's USB capabilities are irrelevant.

I have read numerous threads here about these two DACs, but the result is usually that the W4S DAC-2 is the way to go because of its superior USB connection, but that point is moot here.

So what I am looking for are listening impressions/comparisons of the two DACs through their SPDIF connections.

I am also looking at the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC; it's cheaper ($699 new), but I'm not sure if it's on the same level as the other two.

Other DAC suggestions are welcome! Thanks for the help!:biggrin:
2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
Post edited by falconcry72 on

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,421
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I have and like the Music Hall 25.3 DAC, $600 new. I think it performs beyond its price point. You don't need to run a pricey tube in it for it to sound good. Using the balanced out bypasses the tube circuit.

http://www.musichallaudio.com/detail.php?p=68

My digital music is hard drive based (flac) fed through a Squeezebox Touch to the MH DAC. The 25.3 will play high res files.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • falconcry72
    edited July 2011
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    ...You don't need to run a pricey tube in it for it to sound good. Using the balanced out bypasses the tube circuit.

hmm. I like that you can choose to use or not use the tube circuit. That would be fun to play with.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,421
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I was bucks down when I bought it and have been very pleased with it. Doug (dkg999) put me on to it, and he has tried many DAC's. Once I finish my turntable build and sell my current table, I may try a pricey DAC.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited July 2011
    Options
    someone else liked the Music Hall DAC here too.. pearsal maybe? I haven't heard it yet myself, but searching the forum for it would probably yield something useful

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I would go with the Musical Fidelity, only because I dont know anyone else with one. That and MF usually makes excellent gear, really havent heard of a piece that let someone down. Everyone seems to sport the Benchmark and W4S stuff, and for good reason. But yeah my vote goes for the MF.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I have one of the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC's and it's excellent. We used it as CAF just a few weeks ago. I've never understood the hype about the Benchmark as it's just ok.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I would have liked to get my ears on that MF M1 dac before I splurged for the W4S Dac2.. i love the W4S, but would have liked to compare to the M1 first.. could have some new speakers too (instead of having to save! boo..)

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited July 2011
    Options
    No agenda, no affiliation - just fyi from another forum - semi-related to topic:
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1311207842&&&/W4S-DAC2-vs-Benchmark-DAC1-my-observatio

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I run a EE Minimax DAC with upgraded LME 49990 opamps and a BlackCat digital cable to my CDP and i love it.if you get a chance listen to one in your system
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • falconcry72
    edited July 2011
    Options
    By the way, guys, this Musical Fidelity V-Link that I'm using is a really sweet little piece of gear.

Link:

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/V-Series/V-LINK/v-link.asp

All it does is convert USB audio to SPDIF, both coaxial and toslink. It is asynchronous and does a great job. The free ASIO4all driver works great with it, so it's easy to run it in ASIO through Foobar and I would assume other media players that support ASIO.

Best part? It's only $169 bucks brand spankin new! Having one of these lets you use any number of non-usb DACs with a computer-based rig.

I bought a Musiland Monitor 02 usb to spdif conbverter for my dad a few months ago on heiny9's recommendation, but I almost bought the vlink at that time. I went with the vlink for myself simply because my dad already had the musiland, and I wanted to compare the two. They're both cheap enough that if one comes out the clear winner it would be easy to pick up another one. They are both async, but the musiland does have its own dac and analog outs whereas the vlink has no dac.

I'll try and post a comparison after the weekend. Initial impressions are very positive of both.:biggrin:

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,920
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I've heard more than a couple people dig that blackcat digital cable. Gonna give it a whirl when I get a dac.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • falconcry72
    edited July 2011
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I have one of the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC's and it's excellent. We used it as CAF just a few weeks ago. I've never understood the hype about the Benchmark as it's just ok.

Thanks for the insight; there aren't a ton of reviews out there for the M1. Since I already have the V-Link, I would imagine there would be good synergy between the pieces.

How does the sound of the M1 differ from the Benchmark? How would the M1 stack up against a W4S DAC-1?

• dorokusai
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I think the W4S would probably edge out the M1 overall. I know I really liked the one I heard but wanted to try out the new M1 instead since it was a new model. As far as the M1 vs Benchmark, it just has more life in it. The Benchmark sounds sterile and the form factor compromises the components, although they're still top notch. And initial impressions were immediate with the M1 over the Benchmark, which I needed to spend a lot of time with to really get anything from it.

Any of those units would be fine and would blow the doors off anything not dedicated. I would suggest getting the one that you can find the best deal on and if you don't like it....move on to the next one. That's all I did and I'll most likely go to a W4S if I can get a smoking deal on it....or not, since some here already own it.

I'm interested in some Alesis/Tascam gear for another project, so I'm not sure I'll get more involved with DACs anymore since I have a good one. Benchmark has some other gear that's neat like the ADC1 USB and ADC16.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • falconcry72
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Any of those units would be fine and would blow the doors off anything not dedicated. I would suggest getting the one that you can find the best deal on and if you don't like it....move on to the next one.

This DAC would be replacing the Parasound DAC-2000 Ultra in my main 2-channel rig. The Parasound is a nice piece, it ran about 2k new, but it's 12 or 13 years old, so I'm thinking a newer piece from a company whose known for their DACs would sound better.

I've got my eye on all three, so if I can find a great deal on any of them I'll pull the trigger... I can always get rid of it if it doesn't outperform the Ultra. I'm glad to here that the M1 is a serious competitor.:smile:

• falconcry72
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I have one of the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC's and it's excellent. We used it as CAF just a few weeks ago...

Hey doro,

did you or do you use the M1 for any PC-based rigs? If so, did you or do you use its USB input? If you do, you may want to check out using the vlink -> M1, as it's asynchronous. I read in a stereophile review that the Musical Fidelity guy recommends that the M1 be used in conjunction with the vlink for optimum performance from a PC.

Here's one on ebay with a BIN of 139. That would make it 154 shipped. They usually run 169 plus shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Musical-Fidelity-V-Link-USB-S-PDIF-Converter-NR-/300577896653?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fbd6b8cd

• PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm really happy w/ my W4S DAC-1. But, then again I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to DACs, as my only reference point is a Cambridge DacMagic. Using Signal Silver ICs between it and the NAD 375bee + SB Touch and music is scary clear on the LSi9s ;)
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Falconry - I do but not all the time. I doubt I'll buy that based on a single recommendation and it's sonically just fine for me as it is now. Plus it wasn't mentioned at all when I spoke with my MF contact on some other issues. Thanks for the link and note.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,055
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm happy with my W4S DAC doubt I will let it go anytime soon, something magical when used with a tube pre!!
  • falconcry72
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Well I've read all I can on these 3 DAC's, and there's nothing else I can read that will lead me to believe that one will sound bettter in my system than the others.

I'm going to have to listen to all three in my rig.

I found a good deal on a Musical Fidelity M1; it should be in the rig this week. Next I will get a Benchmark DAC-1 and A-B the two. The loser will be sold, and I will then find a W4S DAC1, A-B the Wyred vs the winner of the Benchmark vs M1, then sell the loser and be left with a DAC that I will enjoy for years to come because I will know that I prefer its sound.

Let the games begin!!!:cool::biggrin:

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Well I've read all I can on these 3 DAC's, and there's nothing else I can read that will lead me to believe that one will sound bettter in my system than the others.

I'm going to have to listen to all three in my rig.

I found a good deal on a Musical Fidelity M1; it should be in the rig this week. Next I will get a Benchmark DAC-1 and A-B the two. The loser will be sold, and I will then find a W4S DAC1, A-B the Wyred vs the winner of the Benchmark vs M1, then sell the loser and be left with a DAC that I will enjoy for years to come because I will know that I prefer its sound.

Let the games begin!!!:cool::biggrin:

Full pics and write up here - or it never happened! :tongue:

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • falconcry72
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    Full pics and write up here - or it never happened! :tongue:

Will do! I think it will be a beneficial writeup since a bunch of people on here either own or have listened to the Benchmark and Wyred DACs, but fewer have listened to the Musical Fidelity M1.

I'm hoping to have the M1 by the end of the week, it just depends on the seller's haste to ship it.

When I get it I'll first A/B it with the Parasound I'm currently using.

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,042
    edited July 2011
    Options
    punk-roc wrote: »
    someone else liked the Music Hall DAC here too.. pearsal maybe? I haven't heard it yet myself, but searching the forum for it would probably yield something useful

Jason

I still have the MH 25.2 DAC & it does sounds very, very, nice. But always wanting to try other gear I had to give the CA DacMagic a try...am I glad I did!!! Coupled with the Yagin Tube Buffer & running a Black Cat Veloce digital cable from my SONOS to the DacMagic the sound is truly remarkable. The MH now has closet duty!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,920
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Phil, which Yagin tube buffer did you get ? I'm still waiting for reviews on Burson's new dac, it's between that and the w4s dac1. I saw Pacific Valve had a few different Yagins.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Wow, how'd I miss this thread? falconry, I can't provide you with precisely the comparison you want, but I can come close. I just sold my Benchmark DAC1 Pre, in favor of my new Wyred4Sound DAC-2. I didn't use the USB, though, my source is a Squeezebox Touch that I connect via a silver coax cable.

For me it was a very close call. Listening to the W4S made me understand what people meant by describing the Benchmark as being on the clinical side, as opposed to the W4S being more musical. The Benchmark is incredible, but there's just a certain something about the W4S that is a bit sweeter. It's not a coloration or anything overly tonal, there's just a cohesiveness to the sound that I found a bit more pleasing than the Benchmark. I read a similar comparison elsewhere, and fully agree with what I read - the Benchmark draws your attention to the recording, where the W4S draws your attention to the performance. With the Benchmark, you hear a guitar, a vocalist, a bass guitar, drums, and keyboards. With the W4S, you hear a band. I don't really know how to describe it any better than that, but in my head to head comparison, the W4S was the winner. YMMV.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,042
    edited July 2011
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Phil, which Yagin tube buffer did you get ? I'm still waiting for reviews on Burson's new dac, it's between that and the w4s dac1. I saw Pacific Valve had a few different Yagins.

Tony, this is the one I picked up...http://www.pacificvalve.us/YaqinTB.html. I like the single tube version better then the twin tube unit. Just personal preference. It really does add that tube "balance" to the mix. It really plays well with the DacMagic & Sonos. I'm using the Black Cat "Veloce" digital cable which is material for another thread...it's that good.

Good luck on you DAC hunt. You have picked out two stellar units to choose from. It won't be easy that's for sure.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • falconcry72
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Well I picked up a Benchmark DAC-1 locally this evening and spent a couple hours comparing it to the Parasound DAC-2000 Ultra that I'm used to. It's too early for a conclusive write-up, but I will say that, at this point, there is not a clear winner. I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting the Benchmark to completely outperform the Parasound. Not the case.

I have wrist surgery tomorrow (motorcycle accident), so I may be too drugged for critical listening, but a lightly used Musical Fidelity M1 DAC will be here Friday. I will listen to all three all weekend and then post my conclusions, including setup configurations, music selections, pics and any other pertinent data.

Once I pick a winner of the three, I will off the other two, and then run the winner vs a Wyred for Sound Dac-1 in a head to head death match.:cool:

• falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    Options
    OK so now have the M1, Benchmark, and Parasound DACs setup. I've been listening all weekend, but I'm not quite ready for a writeup.

And to add a wrench to the plan, I will be throwing zingo's Audio GD NFB-7 into the mix instead of the W4S DAC. The NFB-7 uses the same Sabre ES-9018 chip as the W4S, but it appears to have crazy over built power supplies and great ouput section, but no USB, which is a non-issue for me since I'm using the V-link. I'm hoping the NFB-7 will blow the other 3 out of the water!:biggrin:

• dorokusai
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I doubt it but it's nice. You must have at least a generic statement of who you like so far....
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Don't think that since two DACs use the same chip that they sound the same. OPPO players use that Sabre chip as well, but I've read reviews comparing to the W4S and indications are that they sound very different. The W4S really is a masterpiece.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ...You must have at least a generic statement of who you like so far....

OK fine, here's a quick summup:

The Parasound is warmer, has a wider soundstage, and as a fuller bottom end than either the M1 or the Benchmark. The 2 newer DACs are both slightly smoother than the Parasound, and are less fatiguing at higher volumes. The M1 and Benchmark sound very similar to each other, but the M1 seems sweeter whereas the Benchmark is grainier, not in a bad way. Very, very slight differences between the two.

For my tests I've been using my PC with the foobar2000 media player in ASIO mode, to a Musical Fidelity V-Link, which has 2 digital outs, so the coaxial goes to one DAC and the toslink to another, then I run the 2 DACs via the same type of MIT AVT1 IC's to different inputs on my Parasound PLD-2000 preamp, and then on to the Parasound HCA-2200ii power amp. This lets me switch between DACs instantly with the push of a button on my preamp's remote. This ability has been invaluable. It makes me want to get a DAC with a remote so I can judge sources the same way....W4S D2?

After formulating opinions, I switch which DAC gets toslink vs coaxial to make sure that's not the difference, and so far I haven't noticed a difference between the two cable types.

I have been using Magnepan 1.6's 90% of the time and SDA-1C's 10% of the time because the maggies are more revealing.

So with this method I compare only two DACs at a time: Parasound vs M1, Parsound vs Benchmark, or Benchmark vs M1. When the Parasound is in the mix I'm limited to redbook sample rates, but when it's the Benchmark vs the M1 I break out the hdtracks. Both DACs have no problem locking onto 24 bit, 88.2 or 96khz material.

At this point I don't know which of the three sounds better, which is why I want the NFB-7 to smoke the others!:biggrin:

I like that the 2 newer ones can play hi res files, and I like that the M1 shows you what resolution it's locked onto; this helps ensure that the PC is configured properly.

Aside from the added features of the newer DACs, I'm not sure that either one sounds better than the Parasound for redbook material, just different. And if you're wondering if my ears work, I will say that when comparing any of the 3 external DACs to the Parasound CDP's internal DACs, it is like night and day difference, so I'm not completely tone deaf.:smile: