LaserDisc Trivia question of the day....

Options
wayne3burk
wayne3burk Posts: 939
edited July 2011 in Music & Movies
What was the last movie released on LaserDisc????

just curious...

I'm watching Four Weddings and a Funeral right now on my new to me Pioneer CLD-M403.

|wayne|

p.s. Four Weddings and a Funeral is dated 1994
Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
Post edited by wayne3burk on

Comments

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited July 2011
    Options
    From wikipedia....
    The last two titles released in North America were Paramount's Sleepy Hollow and Bringing Out the Dead in 2000. The last Japanese released movie was the Hong Kong film Tokyo Raiders from Golden Harvest. A dozen or so more titles continued to be released in Japan, until the end of 2001.
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'd like to get a nice player someday, the local used store has some great titles sometimes. I like the format alot, I'm 'old school' and still use VHS every now and then.
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I was in Good Will on Friday and ran into a bunch of these things.. the checker thought they were "albums' so sold them for $1.00 each. i don't have a player and never did own one.

I guess you can't even give these things away on epay... :eek:

I was hoping to make enough to get a new kidney or something by flipping em.. guess it'll have to wait.. :tongue:

titles I got are
    Titanic
    A Few Good Men
    Top Gun
    Dracula
    The Lion King
    Vision Quest
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,600
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Playboy on LD is the bomb!

Actually, not really. More like a soft core version of the real channel. This should be considered a lost medium. 'Nuff said.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,345
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The only one I saw, and was quite impressed with, was Total Recall. It was great watching in my friends trailer. He had a Sansui amp and massive speakers with some huge woofers shaking the place. When the dome in the movie broke, the breaker tripped and the power went out. Ahhh, the good old days in the trailer park...
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • stuwee
    edited July 2011
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    The only one I saw, and was quite impressed with, was Total Recall. It was great watching in my friends trailer. He had a Sansui amp and massive speakers with some huge woofers shaking the place. When the dome in the movie broke, the breaker tripped and the power went out. Ahhh, the good old days in the trailer park...

:biggrin:Right On!! Great story :smile:
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited July 2011
    Options
    stuwee wrote: »
    I'd like to get a nice player someday, the local used store has some great titles sometimes. I like the format alot, I'm 'old school' and still use VHS every now and then.

I had a older pioneer than got a "u-turn" model that reads both sides w/out having to flip a disc ( I still got it )
    last year a friend gave me a kereyokee model has mic input and all plus a stack of discs , one of these days I will get a mic and the proper discs .
    I think I got like 50 discs .
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,495
    edited July 2011
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    This should be considered a lost medium. 'Nuff said.

Except that there are many titles still not out on DVD that are on LD, and some probably never will be. Also, the audio put out from Laserdiscs is still better (more dynamic) than DVD (in at least 85% if the cases, at my best guess). There was a thread about comparing the audio of LD and DVD about 8or 9 months ago. You should look it up. Kind of interesting.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • 20hz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    one nice thing is the LD has no copygaurd , but you are right it is kinda a lost medium .
  • wayne3burk
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm not holding my breathe... but I also never thought I'd see 15,000 vinyl titles available at Best Buy either:

Best Buy > Movies, Music & Instruments > Music
    NARROW YOUR RESULTS
    Format
    CD (355544)
    VINYL (15930)

$25 an album is a bit steep for me, but if I just had to have it.... I just might shell out $25 for it.
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited July 2011
    Options
    IMO, the real value in the LD are the covers. When framed, they make great wall hangers for a home theatre, mini movie posters.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • stuwee
    edited July 2011
    Options
    IMO, the real value in the LD are the covers. When framed, they make great wall hangers for a home theatre, mini movie posters.

What a superb idea!
  • 20hz
    edited July 2011
    Options

you are so right , I was just looking at some 2 page ones I got (like the movie aliens) .
    Hows this for a idea ..
    since most dont watch the L/D include the disc within the cover on the frame this way its safe .
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So audio was arguably better than on DVD, how did video compare?

And compared to Blu Ray?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• wayne3burk
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'd have to hook my LD player up to a LCD TV.... to give a direct comparison. I've got mine hooked up to my 38" curved Panasonic CRT TV. but all said i cant see any scan lines per se.

I'll hook it up to my daughter and son-in-laws 42" 120Hz LG LCD TV sometime this week and see how it looks.

And yes the sound quality is awesome....
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited July 2011
    Options
    skrol wrote: »

Excellent post. I got a good chuckle out of this one.:biggrin:

As for LD, do any of you guys have Star Wars? I heard it has awesome video/audio.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,600
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And compared to Blu Ray?
    Nowhere even remotely close.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • 20hz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So audio was arguably better than on DVD, how did video compare?

And compared to Blu Ray?

less lines of resultion than a dvd
    Tv is 330
    dvd is 425
    b/d is higher ( I guess)
    I am not 100% on those #'s there are a lot of polkies who are ..