What sources for HS vs HT

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited September 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I've been giving some thought here on my he-man stereo vs HT. I have a delima. For HS I am very happy with my 1.2's, Manley tube monoblocks, Audible Illusions 3A tube preamp and turntable. For HT I think I will be happy with the LSi setup, super power transistor amps, and a DVD player.

Here is my delima: multichannel dvd audio and SACD (my DV47Ai player)... So which system do I put it on? Do I set up more SDA's and tube amps which I have laying around and put it on my he-man system OR do I put it with my LSi setup?? Either is do-able. I keep going back and forth but I can't decide which makes more sense. Plusses for the HT system is that it has a very high quality video output. Plusses for the HS is that I want to listen to good music through it.
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited September 2003
    easy one Mad.......

get another one.Why settle with just one when you can have 2.......or if you can find a good used DV 47a,go that route in the HS room and keep the ai in the HT room......thats what I would do in your shoes.....live only once and all....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    I'll keep that in mind but it is way out of budget this year. I guess there were a few things I was thinking but couldn't get out in words. One is whether I would get better multichannel performance from the sda's or LSi's. (for me the LSi's don't cut it for two channel but they are awesome for the 5.1 stuff I have heard from them). Another issue is that given the incredible dynamic range from the SACD and DVD Audio discs whether I would be better off with extreme high power of the transistor stuff or the lower power of tubes with the more efficient SDA's. I will eventually try the combinations but am still thinking it through. I don't know if you are familliar with moving around the SDA's but it really pays to think it out first. Read: Oh my back!
    madmax

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited September 2003
    Mad,
    tuff call there Bro.I feel the Lsi's are a much better sounding speaker then the SDA's,thats my opnion as I owned only the SDA-2b's.I got them out awhile ago.

The Lsi's would be a better run for SACD and DVD AUDIO as they love High RES music.You'll notice when you travel down those roads.

I'm thinking a non tube setup for LSi's.I don't think tubes would be the way to go,I could be wrong as I personally haven't given it a run.....just thinking I'm not feeling it.

2 channel music with LSI is remarkable for the money.Sure I have heard many speakers blow the wofers right out of them but not for the same or less....price that is.

Sounds like fun over there.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    max,

Buy your new player and try it in both?

Could boil down to which room you like better for your serious listening. Can't discount the environment.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited September 2003
    I'll have to disagree about the LSi's being a better choice for hi-rez. My SDA's are singing with SACD and from what I've heard from the LSi's so far, they can't hold a candle to the SDA's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2003
    Try swapping the speakers. The tube vs ss is going to be tough if you own the LSi15. My LSi9's are kickin with 35w/ch tube power. IMO, tubes is a must have for music. I will not be going back to ss for 2ch. If your LSi15 are still starving, try the Ei Big Bottle. According to thetubestore.com, they're suppose to pump out some serious juice. If you're more serious about 2ch, use the better source on that rig until you upgrade.
    Did you get those Chinese tubes yet? How do they sound?

Maurice
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    My chinese tubes and a few other goodies will have to wait since my record cleaning machine purchase ;)
    madmax

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by madmax
    Audible Illusions 3A tube preamp and turntable.

Max
    I was just killing some time and made it to this thread and saw you have Audible Illusions. I'm floored and need some help. Can you snap a pic so I can see if its what I got?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    Hbomb,
    It is exactly like this one. Is this what you have? They had an earlier one which was the 3. Mine is the 3A.

http://www.gcaudio.com/products/reviews/infoaudible.html

Mine has the stepped attenuator and MM phono preamp board. The sound is awesome but the preamp is definately not perfect in operation. The attenuator pops when you change volume, a couple of tubes are spitting (it is hard on tubes unless you leave it plugged in), the left and right levels do not match, and when you switch from phono to any other source the level changes dramaticly. So why would anyone want one? I keep asking myself the same question but I'm not willing to give up it's glorious sound.

madmax

EDIT: ATC, of course you are correct. The thing is I'm just considering it for now. Later I will actually try it. Besides, the traffic on the two channel forum has been a little slow lately. Another benifit of putting the question out there is that others have input that will cause me to possibly think in a different direction.

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2003
    Max that looks like it but I'm missing some knobs and buttons... should prove to be a fun little project.

BTW, you removed my quote???

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    Hmm,
    I didn't actually remove it. I wonder why it isn't there?

On the AI, did you find a fixer-upper or what?
    madmax