madmax is hereby declared insane...

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited September 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Looking at the calendar I found that next month has three paychecks rather than the normal two. That means I will have extra money next month. It seemed only right to find a way to eliminate this attrosity. (I didn't feel like spending the extra cash on a dictionary to help my spelling). I did it by investing in a new record cleaning machine. The VPI 16.5. By the time the credit card bill comes I will have the cash in hand! The reason? After receiving several used lp's I started noticing that they sounded a lot better than most of the sealed lp's I own. How is this? After thinking about it for awhile I determined that the only real difference could be that they were professionally cleaned. I started looking around the net and the overall opinion is that once the mold release etc are removed even a brand new lp sounds significantly better. I believe this is true. I notice that all the "audiophile" type lp's I have sound just like these used lp's I bought. Coincidence? I'm not sure but now I get to test my theory. I'll let you know after I get it. The down side is that it will be 3 weeks...
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited September 2003
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2003
    You're not insane, you're vinyl CRAZY:)! I think I better stop spinning records, don't want to end up like you:Dj/k. Those cleaning machines are expensive. How often are you suppose to clean your records with them?

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    max,
    OK, now tell us something we don't know... :D

Nitty Gritty here... amazing little box. Talk about a light dimmer when I hit the vacuum switch :eek: Very powerful...

MFSL long maintained that their LP's improve with play. I found this to be true (although maybe I'm just impressionable). The grooves (there are two) do undergo some honing during play.

organ,
    I have a link some where on a DIY record vacuum. Guy built one for about $50 in parts. It's not very "sexy", but laying out a few hundred for a "name" cleaner is a little embarassing when you peek inside the box. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig up the link.

As for how often... I go before every play. It's a mini-ceremony. :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2003
    You're a mad man. Just not in an angry sort of way. Congrats! Let us know what you decide.

Get linkin' Tour. I saw one quite some time ago, but doubt I'd ever be able to find it again. That's right up my alley. Cheap and ugly.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2003
    Mad,
    thats just 2 funny:D
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    Tour,
    That link was where I started It's a small internet after all! The problem as I saw it was finding the right motor and a strong enough vacuum. I pictured a shop vac sitting next to this 100 pound box with a big round hunk of wood on top. (not too pleasing and too big). It could be done if you find the right junk parts though. I'm all for doing it yourself if you have the stuff sitting around. BTW, Galen Caroll had it for $425. I couldn't quite stomach the $499 to $525 that everyone else wanted and the used ones seemed to have a following of bidders.
    madmax

• Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    max,

Yup, that home jobbie is not the most elegant thing out there, and I don't like his vacuum nozzle, but if you had the parts...

Audio Advisor won't list their price for the domestic 16.5, but list the 220 V international at $499, so I assume the domestic is somewhat south of that.

My NG is the 1.5 FI, or at least that's the model in the NG line that looks closest today. I had to do some home repairs a while back as the cleaning solution in the tank ate through the glue bonding the pump's suction tube to it. The VPI's read to be a better build, but the NG is very simple.

BTW, I found that contact lens clening concentrate and Distilled water make a nice, economical substitute for the packaged, "official" cleaning solutions. Note that it was not my mix that ate the glue, it was theirs.

Think I'll watch them for a while on ebay. Here's a nice NG...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3044954082&category=48648
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2003
    I know nothing about turntables, but I know ALL about 3 paycheck months! It's like Christmas when that happens! LOVE those months!

Congrats on the new toy!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    Thanks! I have to wait 3 weeks to get it though :mad: I have been reading about how everyone uses this thing and everyone seems to have their own procedure. One uses this brush and that cleaner and another warns that using this or that causes a loss of detail or recommends something else. One guy even uses two separate machines, one to clean with and one to rinse with. Whew... What craziness.
    madmax

• Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by madmax
    One guy even uses two separate machines, one to clean with and one to rinse with. Whew... What craziness.
    madmax
    In other words... You're among friends. :D

Two machines.... a little over the top.

IMO Wet Brushes should only be used to deep clean old, neglected vinyl.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited September 2003
    IMO Wet Brushes should only be used to deep clean old, neglected vinyl.
    I sure could use some deep cleaning on some of the used vinyl I've picked up. I don't even play them because of the clicks and pops.

Neil Young - Decade
    Jimi - Electric Ladyland

There's a couple more but having trouble remembering. :(
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Sadly dc, clicks and pops are indicative of surface damage more than they are dirt.

Only ways to quiet them are:
    - wet playing - ususally limited to a couple plays, often for recording precious LP's; and
    - digital processing - click and pop eliminators have been around for a couple decades, but most were not very good. There are now PC programs that do a beautiful job, but then the music is going through a digital "wash" and that's sorta contrary.

If you want what many consider the best "wet brush" ever made, let me know. I can hook you up.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dcarlson
    edited September 2003
    They seem to only have light surface scratches and some crud. They sound lifeless. I'd be interested to see how they would come out after a good deep cleaning.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • madmax
    edited September 2003
    dcarlson, I would be happy to give them my best shot at cleaning. Just let me get a little experience on the machine first. I want to learn all the tricks before subjecting someone else's lp's to my wrath. Should be interesting! Remind me later and we can swap addresses if you want. I'm new to the world of cleaning, what do you mean by the "wet brushes" comment tour?
    madmax

• dcarlson
    edited September 2003
    Right on. :cool:

Let me know when you feel confident with it.

• Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    max,

The wet brush is an old classic made by Edwin Watts, which unfortunately went out of business some time ago. Very fine, plastic bristle brush that you wet wash albums that really need cleaning. Just stand at the sink and "do the dishes", but with a Distilled water rinse.

The VPI's brush looks similar in some ways...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli