Anybody own a Mini Cooper?

Options
joeparaski
joeparaski Posts: 1,865
edited May 2011 in The Clubhouse
My daughter bought a 2005 Mini a couple of weeks ago with 85,000 km. on it. Mint condition too! I think it just might be my next car....economical, sporty, and they're not parked at every corner.

Joe
Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
Post edited by joeparaski on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Fiat 500 Abarth.

Don't look back.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited May 2011
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Fiat 500 Abarth.

Don't look back.

Except if an SS or Corse model ever hit our shores.

Either that or an Alfa Romeo MiTo. Same car underneath (well, Grande Punto which is a Punto lengthened and widened a bit) but prettier styling. BTW, Fiat 500 = Fiat Punto = Ford Ka. You want a hot little pocket rocket Ford Sport Ka with the turbocharger kit. Puts power in the 150 horsepower range and with a curb weight of about 1800 pounds, it's a little rocket ship of a phone booth.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • SWFalken
    SWFalken Posts: 136
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The wife has a 2003 MINI. BRG, White roof with glass roof option, 5 speed and 100,000 on the clock with no major problems. Gas mileage is not what you might expect in the real world. People will just randomly start asking about your car. It is without a doubt one of the fastest canyon carvers anywhere. The car has an almost supernatural ability to get through corners without losing speed or grip. Unless you spring for a Cooper S they are not very quick off the line but run well on the highway. I have a MkV Golf for my everyday ride but when we go somewhere as a family with our 7 year old daughter, we almost always take the MINI.
    "I drank what?" Socrates :eek:
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,636
    edited May 2011
    Options
    My neighbors have one and love it. They traded in their Cadillac CTS for it because the wife decided the caddy looked like an old lady car. I have ridden in it and it seems to be a neat little car.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2011
    Options
    My dad just bought one. They love it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I would like one just to use for Sunday drives in the summer. Perhaps in my retirement years.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Fiat 500 Abarth if it ever comes here. I hope it does.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I dont own one, but darned if I dont really want to. Only problem is I dont think it can tow a boat and since thats a big requirement of my next car, looks like I wont be getting one....

Now I might convince the wife to get one and then switch her cars.... :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited May 2011
    Options
    took a ride in a Mini Cooper.
    easy to handle and good on MPG.

good luck with the car.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I've got one - an '09 Mini Cooper S. Never had so much fun in a car. Just driving to the store is a blast.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Fiat better start bringing some of "their" cars to our shores. The 500 Abarth would be my pick. As a kid I always wanted an Alfa and I had several friends that had Fiat 124 Spiders and 124 Coupe (race car).

Mini Cooper's are cool, but they are plentiful and really too small for an everyday driver. I'm a smaller person and I find my VW GTi a tad small at times so I can imagine a Mini would be even smaller.

I wanted one when they first came out, but not so much anymore simply because they are too small to be practical. If I had one as a 2nd vehicle that would be cool. I have a lot of fun in my modded VR6 -GTi but she;s starting to show her age a bit. Nasty Midwestern rust is creeping in. I have to decide if it's worth the investment to do some body work or move on to something else.

It's hard because the howl of a modded VR6 motor can be intoxicating at times and all the suspension work I've had done as well as SS exhaust, chip, etc., makes it hard to let go.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BottomFeeder
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If the Mini Cooper is too small for you, you might consider the recently released Mini Countryman. It's got 4 doors, more room, smoother ride & is nearly as fast & corners almost as well as its smaller brother.

Big plus for me is that it's available in all wheel drive. I'm thinking about it.

& Have you read anything to indicate that Fiats are more reliable now than they were when they pulled their cars from the US? The Abarth looks cool, but it's a Fiat. . .
  • heiney9
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I believe Fiats are more reliable than days past. I don't care for the looks of the Countryman. I admit the 500 Abarth is a small car too. What I really want is the new 2012 VW Golf R32, but I'm not spending $34K on a hot hatchback even though it rivals most luxury sedans for ammenties, quality interior and comfort.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BottomFeeder
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I've eyeballed the R32 as well. But if I trade my MCS in - & I probably won't - it'll be something w/all wheel drive. We get a lot of snow in these here parts.
  • heiney9
    edited May 2011
    Options
    R32 is all wheel :wink:
  • heiney9
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sorry I meant the 2012 Golf -R, the R32 is old nomenclature.

H9
  • BottomFeeder
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Dang. Well, I'll have to add it to my list then. Any idea about reliability?
  • heiney9
    edited May 2011
    Options
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I dont own one, but darned if I dont really want to. Only problem is I dont think it can tow a boat and since thats a big requirement of my next car, looks like I wont be getting one....

Now I might convince the wife to get one and then switch her cars.... :wink:

If they can tow all that gold in the cab like they did on the Italian job...I'm sure they could tow a boat:tongue:
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • BottomFeeder
    edited May 2011
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

Oops! Yeah, sorry! Back to MINI talk!
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited May 2011
    Options
    My fiance's son has TWO of the OLD mini's from years ago:

2010-12-25_12-07-56_541.jpg

2010-12-25_12-08-08_441.jpg
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I don't own one but plan to one day.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BottomFeeder
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Crumby pic of mine.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited May 2011
    Options
    A friend's wife had a base model and then went and got a Cooper S. Probably because she thought the base model was fast and got beat at a stoplight by my old farm truck. She doesn't like me for some reason, I dunno why?

I still the Cooper S is slow. They handle real well but the ride is rougher than I thought it would be. They are sharp looking cars but they are nothing when compared to the original. Which is funny because a local Mini dealer actually has a REAL Mini parked on top of a new Mini.

I think what bugs me the most about the new Mini brand is that Mini was the model name, not a line of cars. It was originally built by British Motor Corporation and branded a Morris. It wasn't even a Mini but a version of the Morris minor called the Morris Mini-Minor. Then BMC went belly up and British Leyland was formed when BMC combined with Rover picked up the asserts. Then we got the Austin Mini as well. There was a bunch of different variants as well but they were all just different version of an Austin, Morris, Wolseley or Riley Mini. Although the Wolseley and Riley were called the Hornet and the Elf respectively.

Leave it to the Germans to screw it all up though. And the Mini isn't really mini anymore. The Ford Fiesta and Ka, the Fiat 500, Panda and Punto, the Toyota iQ and it's Aston Martin variant as well a whole slew of Korean and Japanese Kei cars are smaller.

I like the car, especially the Cooper S JCW. Looks sharp, has a reasonable amount of performance and economy too. It's expensive though and I just look at it and it gives the car history nerd in me apoplectic fits at how wrong it is.

The Mini makes me conflicted.

Now a Fiat 500 Abarth? I'm all for that!

Especially the hot rod SS kit/model!

Then again, this would be nice to have here too:
    800px-Abarth695TributoFerrari.jpg
    The Abarth 695 "Tributo Ferrari" is a limited edition version developed in collaboration with engineers from Ferrari based on Abarth 500. The 1.4 Turbo T-Jet 16v engine is further developed and uses a different Garrett turbocharger. Rated at over 180 PS (130 kW; 180 hp). It includes a MTA (Manual Transmission Automated) electromechanical transmission with paddle shifter, Unique to this version17 inch alloy wheels with performance tyres, Brembo 284 mm (11.2 in) multi-section discs with fixed 4-piston calipers, "Record Monza" variable back-pressure "dual mode" exhaust, Scuderia Red body with Racing Grey wheels and rear air intakes, Magneti Marelli Automotive Lighting xenon headlights, "Abarth Corsa by Sabelt" seats in black leather upholstery with carbon fibre shell and seat base, black leather steering wheel with red leather inserts and a tricolour hub, Jaeger instrument panel, non-slip aluminium foot wells, Scorpion racing pedals, special kick plates and a plate bearing the vehicle series number. This version will eventually be released also in blue, yellow and grey. The vehicle was unveiled in 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show.

That's a...uhhh...Fiat Abarth 500 modified and tuned by Ferrari.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • BottomFeeder
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Well, to each his own, but I completely disagree w/your assessment of the Mini. (Naturally, I own one!) It’s fast, corners better than most any other car on the market & gets excellent mileage to boot. It’s a complete kick in the pants to drive. You say, “they are nothing when compared to the original,” well, I’ve driven the original & the newcomer is vastly superior in every way.

& Saying that the Mini isn’t mini anymore because it’s larger than some other cars, the vast majority of which aren’t even available in the US, is comparing apples w/oranges. Compared w/most cars in America, the Mini is pretty mini! As if being tiny is some sort of virtue.

& How can you say the Germans screwed it all up when the Brits were the ones to make a hash of the car themselves? Remember, the Mini hadn’t even been produced for years before BMW came along & resurrected the brand. Seems like they’ve done pretty well since doing so, & with the Coupe & Roadster coming soon, the brand will only grow.

I get it – you’re an “if-it’s-not-the-original-it’s-not-a-Mini” kind of a guy. An “original only” fan boy. You’ve got some serious sour grapeage going there, but as for me - & a whole lot of other folks - I’m lovin’ the wine.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Didn't RonP own one....personally I prefer the old school Mini, just nostalgia wise. The same with a BMW 2002, Sunbeam Tiger, Datsun 280Z, etc etc.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'm wanting a Mini Cooper... maybe an electric version

BMW's Mini division has a problem most automakers would love to have: too many people want to buy its cars. Specifically, they want an electric version of the wildly popular Mini Cooper. The company can't build enough examples of its proposed electric Mini to meet demand. While most automakers struggle to attract buyers, Mini has to figure out which buyers to choose.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2011
    Options
    That Abarth is the fugliest looking thing I've seen since the AMC Pacer.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If you want a Mini just be sure you won't get tired of the stiff suspension. They are definitely a kick in the butt to drive, but as an everyday driver, unless you live in an area with very smooth roads, you may tire of the ride real quick.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • heiney9
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I would kill for a Sunbeam Tiger with a Ford 289. I saw a restored "sporty" version at recent local car show. Definitely not something you see on the road everyday. Same car Maxwell Smart drove in the TV series "Get Smart", but this one was on steroids.

H9