SDA and Home Theatre calibration.

Options
joeparaski
joeparaski Posts: 1,865
edited May 2011 in Speakers
Not sure if this has been discussed.......

I recently acquired a Pioneer Sc07 and was wondering if I should calibrate the speakers with the cable between the SRS speakers disconnected? I get different readings with the cable connected.

In particular, with the cable connected, the left speaker requires a higher DB setting and when the cable is disconnected they are even. Is this normal or is there a problem with my speakers or crossovers?

Also, do SDA speakers affect the sound when watching a movie in full surround? If a sound should be on the left, won't there be some "cross-talk" on the opposite side? I can't say I really noticed this but I had a buddy over when I was tweaking the Pioneer and he asked about it.

Joe
Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
Post edited by joeparaski on

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited May 2011
    Options
    joeparaski wrote: »
    I recently acquired a Pioneer Sc07 and was wondering if I should calibrate the speakers with the cable between the SRS speakers disconnected? I get different readings with the cable connected.

In particular, with the cable connected, the left speaker requires a higher DB setting and when the cable is disconnected they are even. Is this normal or is there a problem with my speakers or crossovers?

I have SRS front speakers in my HT. Calibration was done with the IC in place and both speakers measured the same.
    joeparaski wrote: »
    Also, do SDA speakers affect the sound when watching a movie in full surround? If a sound should be on the left, won't there be some "cross-talk" on the opposite side? I can't say I really noticed this but I had a buddy over when I was tweaking the Pioneer and he asked about it.

In my rig, sounds that move from one side to the other do so without any apparent crosstalk on the other side.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • intangible
    intangible Posts: 262
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I would calibrate them connected as you intend to use them.

SDA speakers affect the sound regardless of what you play through them. They will minimize cross-talk, not enhance it. That's what SDAs do.
  • bsoko2
    bsoko2 Posts: 1,449
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I would not use the A-1 interconnect when using the SDA's for movies. Calibrate without the interconnect as it can interfere with the reciever calbration. If you have the newer reciever with the front wides, then use them. I use my 2.3TL's without the interconnect and use the front wide speakers (SC-37) and it does a much better job then the crosstalk with movies.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Never any issues with my Denon AVR audessey and SDA 1Cs with IC in place.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs