Blown Subwoofer

Options
hatchet
hatchet Posts: 6
edited September 2003 in Troubleshooting
My PSW100 Sub is distorting badly. Sounds like a blown driver to me. I started to take it apart awhile back and seem to remember it was sealed. Anything I should check before I try again and any tricks to getting it open and properly closed again.
Dave Hood
Post edited by hatchet on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hello Dave,
    Thanks for posting. The PSW100 is a band pass enclosure design, meaning the woofer is mounted on the inside of the enclosure. To check out the condition of the woofer, first remove the AC power cord, and take out the 12 Phillips head screws that go around the circumference of the bass amplifier's input plate. The bass amplifier will now pull forward, away from the enclosure, and you'll see the internal 8" woofer. There will be two wires that disconnect with metal Faston connectors and four screws holding the driver, in place. Once the woofer is out of the enclosure you can power it directly by your receiver at a moderate playing volume. In other words, at a reduced volume, connect your receiver's speaker wire directly to the terminals of the woofer. This should determine if the woofer is functional, or not. You may telephone us at 1-800-377-7655 for parts ordering information.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • hatchet
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply Ken. Took it apart and I can't hear any distortion when connected directly to my amp, but I'm a 46 year old pilot so don't have the best hearing. Anyway I put it all back together and made sure everything was tight ,but I still get a loud rumble when listening to anything with a lot of base at moderate volume. I am no electrician but I can use a multimeter. Anything else I should check?
    Thanks again
    Dave Hood
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hello Dave,
    I believe we talked on the telephone yesterday, correct? Let me know how the sub is doing.
    Regards, Ken
  • hatchet
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Ken,
    Yeah that was me. I will send it to you to check out.
    Dave Hood
  • hatchet
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Ken,
    Sent the speaker UPS about a week ago. Do you have it?
    Dave Hood
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hello Dave,
    There's nothing showing yet in the service data, if you want you can telephone the service facility in San Diego at 888-267-5495 and they can probably spot your item. If you have any tracking information that will be helpful.
    Regards, Ken
  • hatchet
    edited September 2003
    Options
    The speaker was delivered to Baltimore on 5 Sept. UPS tracking # 1Z9A1T200341495192.
    Dave Hood
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hello Dave,
    I received the driver yesterday and will check it out.
    Regards, Ken
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hello Dave,
    We tested the driver out, this morning, and it is performing fine, no sign of distortion. The terminal mounting strip was broken, we replaced it and are sending the driver back to you, today, via UPS.
    Regards, Ken
  • hatchet
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks Ken. So the problem is either in the bass amp or something wrong with my sterio amp right? Any suggestions where to go from here?
    Dave Hood
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hello Dave,
    When you've received the driver bac and have it reinstalled, heres's a fool proof way to test to see if the sub-woofer is the cause or not:
    1). turn the volume all of the way down on the sub-woofer and remove all of the connecting cables/wires except the AC power cord.
    2). find the right and left RCA cables that go from your DVD player to the receiver and remove them at the back of the receiver.
    3). bring the DVD player over to the sub-woofer and provide AC power for the DVD player, then connect the right and left RCA cables from the DVD player to the corresponding right and left inputs on the sub-woofer.
    4). begin playing any CD (not a DVD, but a CD) and turn the volume up slightly on the sub-woofer. There should be plenty of clean sounding bass with no bad noises. Let the CD play completely through and try stopping and starting the player.
    Let me know the results.
    Regards, Ken