raife1 help me please

Options
i4gotmyid
i4gotmyid Posts: 173
edited August 2003 in Speakers
How did you wire the CRS's as your centers? Did you split the signal from your preamp to amp? Or did you split the wire coming from the amp to both speakers? Is one better/worse? Is there an echo from using two speakers reproducing mono sound? I wanted to get some info before i took apart my equipment rack, because inorder for me to do this i have to rearrange everything.
Post edited by i4gotmyid on

Comments

• i4gotmyid
    edited August 2003
    Options
    bump

raife where are you
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I used a dedicated Adcom GFA-5500 driving a pair of CRS+s. I also rewired each speaker so that both 6-1/2 inch drivers were wired in paralled on the STEREO circuit. If I had used the CRS+s without rewiring the drivers, I would have had little to no output from the SDA drivers.

Rewiring the CRS+s in this fashion dropped the nominal impedance to 3 ohms. The low impedance was no problem for the Adcoms. Some amps might "object" to being presented with such a low impedance.

I also tried wiring the drivers in series, but that raised the impedance too high (and the sound volume too low) and made it difficult to balance the sound with the other speakers in my home theater system.

My preamp (Sony TA-E9000ES) has two center channel output jacks, so no signal splitting was necessary.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • i4gotmyid
    edited August 2003
    Options
    thank you raife, but one question, how did you rewire the crs to be in parrallel?
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2003
    Options
    My CRS+s are the 1989 version with the pin/blade SDA interconnect.

1. Disconnect the blue and green wires from the MW6511 dimensional driver and tape off the ends.

2. Disconnect the black and white wires from the MW6510 stereo driver.

3. Solder a wire connecting the positive terminal (black wire) of the MW6510 stereo driver and to the positive terminal of the MW6511 driver .

4. Solder a wire connecting the negative terminal (white wire) of the MW6510 stereo driver and to the negative terminal of the MW6511 driver.

5. Reconnect the black (+) and white (-) wires to the MW6510 stereo driver. A red dot on the MW6510 speaker wire terminal identifies the postitve lead.

Enjoy
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!