tweeter twouble

marvipoo
marvipoo Posts: 1
edited August 2003 in Troubleshooting
Awhile back, I dropped one of my Moniter 10s' while moving it to a new location in the room. It was only about two feet off the carpet. After hooking it up, I noticed that the tweeter wasn't working. O.K....I got a new tweeter...NOW, I am noticing that when I turn the speaker up to a what I consider a nominal loudness(sometimes ya just want to crank it)...by the way, I'm 41 and listen mainly to classic country(had to get that out in the open)...no blown ears...When I lower the volume, it will resume working. Do you think I have a bad tweeter, or is it a crossover problem. These are 1985 models and they have NOT been abused!!! HELP!!!

Thanks, Marvin
Post edited by marvipoo on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited August 2003
    For starters I'd check the fuse on the binding post plate located on the back of the speaker. Make sure the fuse is good and then clean the fuse ends and the fuse holder clips on both speakers. If that doesn't help try swapping the left and right tweeters to see if the problem is with the tweeter or the crossover. If all else fails try switching to a different type of music. ;)

BTW, welcome to the fray!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2003
    Hello Marvin,
    It is possible the particular Monitor 10, you have, has a Pollyswitch as a tweeter protection. Having the tweeter turn off and come back on would be indicative of this type of device. It is possible that the Pollyswitch has been triggered so much that it is opening up at a lower level. If you'll contact me at kswauger@polkaudio.com I can send replacement switches and a general set of installation instructions.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • F1nut
    edited August 2003
    Ken,

Did some 10's come with external fuses and some with the Pollyswitch or am I way off base and they all have the switch?

Jesse

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2003
    Hello Jesse,
    Yes, there were versions with an external 1 Ampere fast blow fuse for the tweeters. Then others used the Pollyswitch, probably 1984/85 was the time frame.
    Ken
  • F1nut
    edited August 2003
    Thanks Ken, I didn't realize that the later versions used the switch.

President of Club Polk