Current Production Drivers - Vintage Support

2»

Comments

• Barry they are there ,you might need a magnifying glass to see the marks but both are marked. I did complain about that and the fact that not everyone in the world knows to trim the butyl rubber around the screw holes and then rips the sheet of the surround. Well they took my complaint and w/ thanks sent me 2 new 6502 driver free and no shipping. I was so pleased that I did call back the supervising guarantee officer Ken to thank him for listening. I am going to try to take a close-up shot which may or may not help . it's that faint. Oh those new drivers are in my Monitor 7s now.0zb7wh2h9aq6.jpg
    e-up of the markings if I don'yt get flash back.fd6prvwne5qw.jpg
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • I notice the gaskets on the driver in the picture should not be trimmed that way at the screw holes they will not seal properly.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• I found the markings on the third speaker I unwrapped! Thanks guys!
    Barry
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    BarryD wrote: »
    I was thinking of using the MW6503, in a home speaker project. Need about 35hz or lower low cut off so this driver seemed to fit the bill.
    I have seen some used drivers on Ebay and also seen this driver new at some speaker repair sites.
    My first question is:
    Are the new OEM drivers (MW6503) the same quality as the original ones?

I know that the old ones are now subject to Magnet shift because of the old epoxy.

Next question:
    Are these parameters correct?

Driver: MW 6503 Driver's model #.
    Brand: Polk Driver's brand name.
    Fs: 29.8600 Hz (Free air resonance)
    Vas: 3.0017 ft^3 (Compliance volume)
    Qts: 0.3100 Total Q
    Qms: 1.7680 Mechanical Q
    Qes: 0.3760 Electrical Q
    Sd: 0.0130 M^2 (Piston area)
    Xmax: 3.1800 mm (Cone excursion, linear)
    Revc: 6.5400 ohms (DC resistance)
    Znom: 8.0000 ohms (Nominal impedance)
    Pmax: 35.0000 watts maximum rated power

Thanks in advance.

esyyd9eghx40.jpg

Quickly entered given parameters, ended up with an "Ideal" box and tuning, and a "Custom" size and tuning also....

Kinda tough to truly get a really low cut off with this driver, as you see it either rolls off higher, or to get your -3db point, but with reduced bass over a portion of the range.

The relatively low Qts is the reason. no matter how big the box, or how low the Fs of the driver, the Qts will determine the low end as to whether it is flat, reduced or peaked looking.

.40 is ideal to extend the lows truly "low" and anything less (.31) will result in a sag at the bottom end....
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    K_M wrote: »
    :#

So you replied to a post in a thread that hasn't been replied to in 3 years to someone who has 1 post and hasn't visited the forum in 3 years...?

It is stuff like this that has people mocking you. If you paid attention to detail, maybe people would take you more seriously.

But I doubt that is going to happen.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited November 2019
    @ZLTFUL

PM me with your concerns.
    I posted it for a reason, despite the age of the question.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Too funny
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    K_M wrote: »
    @ZLTFUL

PM me with your concerns.
    I posted it for a reason, despite the age of the question.

Attention seeking?
    Mom not hug you enough as a baby?
    Where did the bad man touch you (show us on the doll)?

Seriously, you sort of hijacked a pinned thread with something that is only vaguely and loosely related to the thread content.

My only concerns are for your mental health and situational awareness...

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    I must say that the above comment is simply beneath this forum.

I used to think of this forum as one of the greatest since the discussion was in general knowledgeable and respectful. I truly love this forum and what it stands for. So I ask all parties to be civilized, let the forum continue to be one of the nicest on the internet.

Bury you axes!

Hrannar
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • ZLTFUL
    hauxon wrote: »
    I must say that the above comment is simply beneath this forum.

I used to think of this forum as one of the greatest since the discussion was in general knowledgeable and respectful. I truly love this forum and what it stands for. So I ask all parties to be civilized, let the forum continue to be one of the nicest on the internet.

Bury you axes!

Hrannar

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSBu3FWElZphUB-Fep1Eg7aQqtPArxCPCN8VUt1H5FE1UvqDmh&s

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Is it snowing where you’re at ZL?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ZLTFUL
    Is it snowing where you’re at ZL?

Did a bit over Thanksgiving. Just been cold since.

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    The current drivers are much better replacements. I wouldn’t replace anything still working but I wouldn’t bother searching for a direct replacement.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Hey guys, first post here! I recently got a pair of Polk Monitor 10s, I don't know if it's 10a or just 10, it has the Peerless silk dome tweeter. I'm looking to replace the 6.5" drivers, I took one that was frozen out, I don't see a model number, such as 6503, etc... can anyone tell me what model it is? And I understand being a member here entitles me to a discount, does anyone have the web site I can order from, or is there a number to call?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637
    Hey guys, first post here! I recently got a pair of Polk Monitor 10s, I don't know if it's 10a or just 10, it has the Peerless silk dome tweeter. I'm looking to replace the 6.5" drivers, I took one that was frozen out, I don't see a model number, such as 6503, etc... can anyone tell me what model it is? And I understand being a member here entitles me to a discount, does anyone have the web site I can order from, or is there a number to call?

Unfortunately Polk is no longer supporting the replacement drivers. Your best bet is Ebay or for new Midwest Speaker Repair.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,119
    edited December 2020
    Hey guys, first post here! I recently got a pair of Polk Monitor 10s, I don't know if it's 10a or just 10, it has the Peerless silk dome tweeter. I'm looking to replace the 6.5" drivers, I took one that was frozen out, I don't see a model number, such as 6503, etc... can anyone tell me what model it is? And I understand being a member here entitles me to a discount, does anyone have the web site I can order from, or is there a number to call?

A picture would help enormously. The MW____ is on the label but is in understated small print near the upper right. If you need any more info. your best bet is to start a new thread in this same section.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Vintage_S10Es
    Vintage_S10Es Posts: 1
    edited June 2022
    Good day to all who see this. I have a late 80's early 90's pair of the polk S10E's I pick up when I was stationed in the UK. They have the trilaminate dome tweeters and the MW8101 7.5" drivers. One of the drivers has died and i'm having a hard time finding something that will fit in the 6.5 inch cut out. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Post edited by Vintage_S10Es on
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Search Ebay for MW8101