RT5 Spider reglue

Options
JimAckley
JimAckley Posts: 1,138
edited May 2011 in Troubleshooting
I got my hands on some RT5s and hooked them up, and instantly heard the joyous sound of a woofer with an unglued spider. How should I go about regluing them? These are some nice speakers (free speakers are always nice speakers), and I wanna get them working. I've never really attempted to reglue a spider before, so I'll need as much advice as I can get

Jim
- Computer Rig -
YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
Post edited by JimAckley on

Comments

• DON73
    DON73 Posts: 516
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You have probably solved your problem by now. This would seem to be the correct forum for your question but you may get better response posting in the Vintage Speaker forum.
    TO ERR IS HUMAN. TO FORGIVE IS CANINE.
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Well, after reading a few threads and articles across various forums, I decided to give it a go myself. I used some Locktite Instant Mix™ Epoxy, and it was perfect for this repair. This stuff comes with the mixing tube that attaches to the end of the epoxy device, which it made it easy to reach around the basket spokes, and now these speakers are playing like new. After applying the epoxy, I pressed it down well with my fingers for the first 60 seconds, then let it cure for the next 5 minutes, and am back in playing order. These are actually some pretty nice speakers. They might see some time in my HT front height speakers.

If anyone has a spider reglue issue, feel free to get in touch with me about it!
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf