Polk Audio RTiA7 Mod Thread

Options

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2011
    Options
    In a ported speaker, I wouldn't bother. Besides, it could alter the voicing of the speaker enough where some crossover adjustments would be need.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I do not like the boards on the RT series. In comparison to what Def Tech and Monitor Audio uses - I would consider their board quality to be substandard. Not to mention the soldering seems sloppy in comparison to the LSi. (Just my observation)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited April 2011
    Options
    thanks maudioguy for saying oh so politely, "stop whining! Get off your duff & do something about it!"
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Why don't you try some divider mods and report back?
    I will. A lousy excuse: planning to relocate soon; they're in boxes.
    Your posts are becoming repetitive...
    you're right! I've wasted too much of others "action-based" time. I'll limit any future communiques' of these subjects as PMs to 'A7 owners.*
    Time to take action
    As soon as we're moved in.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Alright - here we go!

Im waiting on resistors from Canada - so this is my stopping point for now!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Looks good, cant wait to hear them.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Me either - It always amuses me how these awesome crossovers sound with free air drivers ;)

But seriously - cant wait to hear your impressions! I am sure you will love the change!

I like constructing these - its kind of like a puzzle..

Thanks!
  • jbooker82
    edited April 2011
    Options
    How tall are they going to end up being? You have a test bench you hook them up to test them out before shipping them.
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Around 8" or so - Yes! I always test them out before I ship them back!
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Alright!

Resistors are here except one - my fault - DOH!!!

But I think they turned out pretty bad **** if I do say so myself!
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Not to add fuel to the fire on a previous discussion but there is -zero- high pass filtering on the midbass. It is playing everything.

Odd design

(I have them running free air)

I am also using a bi-wire cable as well
  • jbooker82
    edited April 2011
    Options
    That looks like a lot of work.
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    lol

I tell ya what - soldering the top caps on to that board in that 1.25" space was a treat!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Do you think there's a concern with the plastic tabs breaking off the binding post plate with all that extra weight hanging out so far? Not a criticism, just my own curiosity.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Alright!

Resistors are here except one - my fault - DOH!!!

But I think they turned out pretty bad **** if I do say so myself!

WOW!! Awesome out-of-the-box work! Nice pics.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Do you think there's a concern with the plastic tabs breaking off the binding post plate with all that extra weight hanging out so far? Not a criticism, just my own curiosity.

I would guess not - the metal rods go in pretty deep and I actually pulled on it pretty hard with very little stress.

I think think should be good for the long haul!

Thanks guys!
  • EDUBAG
    EDUBAG Posts: 401
    edited April 2011
    Options
    would you mind sending me via pm, how much a mod like this would cost. i have always wondered about the full potential of the a7.

regards,

eduardo
    HT:
    POLK AUDIO RTI4 FRONTS
    CSI3 CENTER
    DEF TECH PROMONITOR800 SURROUNDS
    PSW 125 SUB
    PIONEER ELITE AVR23TXH AVR
    APPLE TV 160GB
    PANASONIC BLURAY PLAYER
    50" PANASONIC PLASMA TCP50C2

2 CHANNEL:
    KEF R300 THREE WAY BOOKSHELF GLOSS PIANO BLACK
    ROTEL RC 990BX PRE
    ROTEL RB 990BX AMP
    OPPO DV980 (AS CD PLAYER)
    PIONEER PL100 TURNTABLE WITH SHURE MX97E CART
    MIT EXP2 SPEAKER CABLES
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    With the CSiA5 thrown into the mix it was right around 319 bucks - so I am guessing.... 220-250 for the RTia7...

Obviously that is with the parts used here
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Assuming all of the woofers are 8 ohms (I am using 8 ohm woofers for the load) - the crossover measures out at 5-6 ohms vs. 8 ohms -- very interesting
  • Face
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Assuming all of the woofers are 8 ohms (I am using 8 ohm woofers for the load) - the crossover measures out at 5-6 ohms vs. 8 ohms -- very interesting
    Even if you had the correct woofers there, you would need a woofer tester or similar tool to know the real impedance of the speaker, measuring across the binding posts only tells part of the story. As you see, the crossover itself can have a large effect on the speaker's impedance.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Gotcha - well that should be here tuesday so we will get to the bottom of this! HAHA!
  • Outfitter03
    Outfitter03 Posts: 563
    edited April 2011
    Options

I might be guessing wrong, but you may be confusing resistance, as measured with a voltmeter which is purely DC resistance with Impedance which is AC resistance or Z. This is ac frequency dependent. This is a much more complicated measurement that consists of true resistance and capacitive and inductive resistance. A meter to measure this is something like this.

http://www.teknetelectronics.com/Search.asp?p_ID=13050&pDo=DETAIL&Fluke_PM6303A

http://www.teknetelectronics.com/DataSheet/FLUKE/FLUKE_pm630X80408.pdf
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yeah I ordered the Dayton measurement software with test leads and scale yesterday - so it should be here Tues/Wednes
  • Outfitter03
    edited April 2011
    Options
    That sounds pretty cool and doesn't look like it will break the bank to buy. I would like to see your review of this when you get it.

I would think that the nice poly caps should be dropping the impedance quite a bit from the cheap electrolytics in the original crossovers.
  • Face
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I would think that the nice poly caps should be dropping the impedance quite a bit from the cheap electrolytics in the original crossovers.
    How?
  • jbooker82
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yeah I ordered the Dayton measurement software with test leads and scale yesterday - so it should be here Tues/Wednes

So do my xo's will get the full treatment then?
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yep - I have already ran yours free air and I put a volt/ohm meter on them. Everything seems fine - I will definitely check them with the software as well!
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Polk Audio CSiA5
  • Outfitter03
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This is on the edge of my HiFi physics but I will put myself out there for the masters to educate. So to the the best of my understanding:

All capacitors have a rating of DF or Dissipation Factor for AC.

The DF for most Poly Caps is very small, fractions of a percent so they are close to an ideal capacitor.

Electrolytic Capacitors have different DF ratings depending on quality, but 10% is probably standard for inexpensive capacitors.

This higher DF rating results in a larger reactive load or put another way, impedance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissipation_factor
  • jbooker82
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I am starting to worry about the pressure of doing a review since I only power them with a Onkyo TX-NR808 avr, and dont have an audiophile ear.
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Dont sweat it man! Just be honest and let us know what ya think! :)