2011 2nd Annual - Capital Audiofest - July 8-10 - Washington, DC(Rockville, MD)

Options

Comments

• jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited July 2011
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I talked to F1Nut...he's grabbing Russman @ the airport and some stuff from Polk Audio on the way down to the show today. This is just setup but if anyone wants to come down today, feel free to do so and help out with setup or just listening tweaks. I believe it will be F1Nut, Russman, Greybeard, Kenneth Swauger and myself. The more the merrier.

I'll be there by 2pm.

Hey Mark

Is the beer cold yet?

Jim
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Next year... I promise...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'll be there Saturday morning with my son Ryan and my old friend Di-Pole Dan. I'll be in Annapolis Friday night crashing at Dan's place. I look forward to seeing you all!
    Carl

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ok folks, the Polk Audio room is ready to rock. After a lot of head scratching as to why only one channel was playing on the main rig it was determined that the pre amp had a bad tube...swapped it out and we were back in business. You've got to hear the 707's doing their stuff......Polk hit one out of the park.

On the other side of the room Ken has one of his restored Revox reel to reel tape decks set up....a real treat.

If you're on the fence about attending, get off of it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2011
    Options
    jtgranby wrote: »
    Hey Mark

Is the beer cold yet?

Jim

No but it will be tomorrow. Sorry that I didn't have more time to chat but we had to get everything setup.

Ok, first day went ok. Let's see, major problems with equipment that turned out to be a single bad tube in the Ref3 preamplifier. The stands for the Blackstones didn't work out so we used our alternates. The room carpet has caused at least two epileptic seizures. Found one bad MIT cable pair, new out of the box.

We got Ken's rebuilt Revox setup and he has his own table for showing his excellent work as well as displaying the beautiful Stellavox. I was able to get the Audio Research amp from Polk so we're 100% with them and will use my CTC BBQ later in the show. The NAD Viso5 and wireless subwoofer are giving us a fit but after reading the manual, found that it's just a setting.

The LSiM 707's are dialed in tight, sound awesome and are on all tubes. We'll play with the 703's tomorrow and get them solid. We also brought down my stock, NIB, SDA CRS+ to run some vintage Polk. Had a great conversation with Manley sales manager Albert Schippits, who I actually met last year. Albert traded war stories with Russman and I as he's been doing these shows since 1976. He told us about puking in the Alpine Lamborghini from the 1980's and more that we can't really talk about but is a prime example of why doing these shows is legendary. You get to hang out with real industry folks, trade goodies and talk shop. The friendships made here last years and never ever get forgotten.

The show is easily worth 10 times the admission fee and if you come by and see us, you'll get a free tshirt and Eco-friendly shopping bag. Take some time and come down, more later.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited July 2011
    Options
    TNRabbit wrote: »
    Sounds like fun; think I'll head up there on Sunday, too.....

Make that Saturday.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Hello from Rockville,
    Mark, Russman, my wife and I are ready to roll. Everything looks excellent and getting things warmed up!
    Come on by!
    Ken
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Have fun guys, between this thread and what Russ has posted on Facebook looks like a great event. I just wish these things weren't so far from me. It makes it difficult to attend without it being a full blown vacation, etc.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I will be there Saturday and Sunday to see some friends from Club Polk , Audiocircle and Audionervosa :cool:
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Day Two: Got the LSiM703's dialed in tightly with Russman and F1Nut at the helm. Foot traffic was light to heavy but overall a typical Friday, which is usually quiet at shows. We're hoping to be swamped tomorrow and are very ready on the LSiM side of the room. Fred(Polk) brought down the LSiM cutaway which was smart since it was an instant magnet for ppl coming into the room.

Ken really got some great press and traffic with his R2R table. Royce, Ken's better half, saved the day of being unnoticed in our location, in the corner of the building by thinking of hanging our small banner from the ceiling in the hallway. The Wilson rooms' upright banner was keeping ppl from seeing our area and this worked perfectly. You can't miss us now.

We're still having issues with this NAD but changed the settings at my house tonight, hoping for the best. Ken is going to bring his NAD 3020 and we should be able to use it just fine with the pre-outs as a substitute for a dedicated LFE output.

The hotel **** shut our free beer down since they weren't getting their cut of the proceeds. We worked our way around that so his boastfulness will continue to go unnoticed and unheeded. He must not know how we roll.

At the very least we'll have a full fledged SDA CRS+ rig running on the other side of the room. I'm upset over this subwoofer issue since we really want to demo the satellites, even though only one person has asked about them. I'm sure we'll get the NAD working then find out the subwoofer doesn't work. I went and saw my friends Jeff from Joseph Audio, PJ from Bel Canto and Alex from Cathedral Loudspeakers and listened their respective rooms. Jeff Joseph was running his new "Perspective" floorstanders which sounded stunning and Alex Rivera was teamed up with Audio Note out of Canada, and of course sounded great with his Altec/Emminence based monsters.

Fred, Ken, Royce, Jesse, Russ and I went out to dinner at Taipei Tokyo and got absolutely stuffed to the gills. I coerced Ken into a couple MaiTai's and after a great meal called it a night since we were all bushed.

Tomorrow we'll settle in for the long haul and long night. Saturdays are my favorite because everyone lets loose after the public hits the road and we get to relax.

Well, that's it for now, more later.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I see you can't keep Russ out of any Tokyo Steak house...

Post some pics when you get a chance, that includes other Polksters...thanks for the update
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Pics on the way. Thanks William for gracing us with your presence. *facepalm*

On another note, I just had a smoke on Mark's back deck and came inside to see him shirtless eating gummy worms. I think I had a fantasy like that a few years back. I didn't act on it.

Polkies need to **** or get off the pot if you are local. No excuses. We're making a list and checking it twice. Don't be naughty, be nice. ;)

Babyarm,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Some crappy phone pics & video located here: http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TNRabbit/Audio/Capitol%20Audio%20Fest%202011/?start=all

The Joseph Audio speakers WERE stunning! Surprise of the show for me--never heard such outstanding imaging, clarity & BASS from such small speakers....

I was MOST impressed with the McIntosh system. WOW~

Their line array 6.5' speakers are amazing.

The ridiculously expensive MBL stuff sounded like straight ****$~
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited July 2011
    Options
    How was the Polk room? and looking forward to more day to day updates from Doro and Russ as well as the others there
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2011
    Options
    wish I was there, looks and sound like a great time, Polk and the forum crew as always putting on a great show.

raise one for me
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • F1nut
    edited July 2011
    Options
    TNRabbit wrote: »
    The Joseph Audio speakers WERE stunning! Surprise of the show for me--never heard such outstanding imaging, clarity & BASS from such small speakers....

I listened to that rig multiple times. A few times it sounded great, other times not so. Seemed to depend on what was playing.
    I was MOST impressed with the McIntosh system. WOW~

Not me, it was absolutely horrid at any volume or material played.
    The ridiculously expensive MBL stuff sounded like straight ****$~

Agreed, the problem is the speakers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I am HAMMERED drunk. What a show. Words later.

Xoxo (via doro's iPad)
    Russ
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2011
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Not me, it was absolutely horrid at any volume or material played.
    Harsh?
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I am HAMMERED drunk. What a show. Words later.

Xoxo (via doro's iPad)
    Russ
    I am truly stunned. :biggrin:

Sounds like you're having a great time.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • F1nut
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Harsh?

I think sloppy fits what I heard best.

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Day 3: To hit on some earlier comments....Russman said the most accurate comment on the MBL room, ..."it sounded awesome in the hallway, sweet spot, not so much". Sorry, they're a beautifully aesthetic and do sound very good at times but just nowhere close to the best for me in any way shape or form. The show standouts for me, bias aside, are Joseph Audio, Manley, Cathedral, Audio Note and Salk.

We continued to have problems with the NAD and long story short ended up going with speaker level inputs between it and the DSW550wi, at which point it worked out perfectly. I believe it was mainly due to the NAD setup functions and the inability to do so via remote, in lieu of a monitor output option onsite. The Wadia S series CD player we had as an option in rig B also refused to work correctly in regards to output selection, coupled withthe fact we had no manual, and we finally ditched it. At that point I was so fed up with other stuff, that it wasn't enough of a factor anymore. I'm not sure what's up with the Wadia but the NAD was also enough of a PITA, that I've lost some of my NAD mojo.

Rig B, Blackstone, got dialed in just in time for a specific request to hear it today, and with the help of Russman and some chatter from Fred in the rear. The dude was super nice as we got it squared away for him in short order and the feedback was appreciative and very positive for his project.

John Atkinson from Stereophile stopped by and jammed out to some KebMo, courtesy of Hoosier21. He bobbed his head, asked questions and said it sounded real good, which is all you can ask for from a guy that just reviewed 40 other manufacturers. Another comment from a return listener that I also recall in relation to the new LSiM is "....you have something really special with these...".

Al Barron and Al Ballard came down to review our work and looked as though they liked the room. About the same time, we had a sweet demo with a cute older couple that visited us yesterday. He wanted to bring his wife down because of his past love for Polk but mainly due to the fact she never really heard a difference over the years, nor cared. We played Kunzel Telarc(Cinc' Pops?) and they absolutely loved it on the LSiM. it was a great demo for the room with the Cows, Lone Ranger and Magnificent 7 themes....really a great show moment for us personally.

A real thanks to those that actually came down to not only help but simply attend and support....TNrabbit, Carl Schwartz, Son and Dipole Dan, Wwaldecker, F1nut and Greybeard. You guys rule and we won't forget you on the back end. Although, we will forget about who didn't and could have, should have attended.

The LSiM really stands out to me as a Polk statement, not only as a listener but as a fan of the product overall. I know as an insider, what has gone into bringing this new line to life and it means so much to me as a Polkie, let alone someone who appreciates high fidelity. Thanks to Polk for listening, caring and having the balls to start something from the ground up, seriously ground up and welcome the competition. I don't think we have anything to back down from anymore.

I'm very happy with our showing and product, period.

More later....Mark
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • F1nut
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ...they gave great sound on Keb Mo's version of "It Hurts Me Too" from his The Door CD, with extended low frequencies and impressive dynamics.

High praise indeed!

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The Keb Mo was for Abernathy, great track!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I glad you guys had more space to push those puppies than at Lone Star,

I'm sure hearing them on the tubes was a treat
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2011
    Options
    knock em' out guys,,have fun!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Everyone we've met has been super-responsive to the Polks. I can't tell you how many conversations start off with, "My first serious speaker were Polks, it's great to know this company is still making great stuff!" People just list all the Polk speakers they've owned like long lost girlfriends. Talk about goodwill regenerated by Mark and Russ! They deserve tremendous kudos for all the effort they've put into this.
    I had a nice encounter:
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/tapepath-revives-recorders
    Cheers: Ken
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Very cool article for you and Polk. Congrats on a job well done guys.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I hate living so far from all of the good stuff!!! Looks like you guys are having a blast..
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Here's more coverage from Stereophile:
    http://www.stereophile.com/
    A big thank you to Fred (Polk's most recent CS find) for bringing down the LSiM cut-away! It makes all the difference in the world when you can show someone what the speaker looks like inside!