2011 2nd Annual - Capital Audiofest - July 8-10 - Washington, DC(Rockville, MD)

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,573
2011 CAPITAL AUDIOFEST

JULY 8-10, 2011

Crowne Plaza Hotel
3 Research Court
Rockville, Maryland 20850-3212

Well, it's that time of year again and an idea of a friend of mine has turned into a 2nd Annual, national audio event. Gary Gill is the organizer and host, along with the Carnegie Acoustics. I met Gary when he bought a pair of Magnepan loudspeakers from me off Audiogon back in 2008 or so. He's a fantastic dude with a knack for loosening people up and an ear for good audio. On top of that, he's an accomplished musician to boot.

Polk has decided to sponsor this event again and what perfect timing as the new LSiM is coming out this year. We'll be hosting the "Whistler" room, 1st Floor, past the Atrium and front desk. We're in one of the large rooms and hanging with the super high end folks. I'm sure this will make them twitch and give us the evil eye but that's the way it goes and we came to really play.

We will have the new LSiM 707 Floorstander and 703 Bookshelf, as well as the Blackstone TL3 Satellite and MicroPro series subwoofers. I'll also have the cut-away models and press only items that were presented privately almost a year ago. These are cool because you can see how the actual loudpseaker is made and handle the individual parts, including the "sonic engine". You can find out more about the engine if you attend :smile:

The fact that we're introducing the new lineup it only felt appropriate to get some hardcore equipment to match up with them. Audio Research Corporation has been kind enough to send me a brand new REF CD8 CD Player & LS26 Tube Line Stage Pre-Amplifier. Along with my personal CTC BBQ Amplifier, our front and back end is rock solid.

We're also getting support from Joe Abrams & MIT Cables for the second year in a row. Joe has been a Club Polk regular supporter and I couldn't have asked for better help and guidance over the years. Joe's customer service rivals Polk's and that's not taken lightly. MIT is sending a full compliment of Magnum series cables and power cords.

As a bonus, Frank Dai from Signal Cable and Grant Vandermye from Mye Sound are both sending some goodies and products to show at the event.

You might remember Ken Swauger from the Polk Customer Service days....well he's pledged to bring some old school Revox Reel 2 Reel players with some rare tape recordings that we can enjoy as well. He might have retired from Polk but he's as busy as ever restoring vintage R2R and collecting more and more media. This is pretty special to me personally, since his Stellavox player is what created the bar standard of all things audio for me back in 2005. I'm very happy that he's joining our room and bringing some truly great stuff with him.

On top of all the aformentioned stuff I'll have a couple pairs of vintage Polk's on display, to include a pair of SDA CRS+ on custom stands by Grant of MyeSound. These are moreso to jog memories of folks in attendance but will be fully prepared to play and perform as needed.

I've been asked about SACD and that's not been hashed out yet but if we do go that route it'll be with a Sony SCD-1. We're going to be running digital media thru my iPad via the HRT Streamer or similar device. We used this quite a bit at last years event, as did 75% of the other rooms including Joseph Audio, and it performed beautifully. To those that are iHaters....get used to it because it's what you're going to hear more and more of at these shows like this, CES and CEDIA. It's just a fact.

This is from the first year... Capital Audiofest 2010

Exhibitor/ Manufacturer List - We are in the Whistler room.

Equipment List:

Audio Research LS27 Tube Line Stage Pre-Amplifier
Audio Research REF CD8 CD Player
CTC BBQ Amplifier
Adona Corporation Custom Audio Rack
MIT Magnum Speaker Cables and Interconnects
Signal Cable Power Cords
MyeSound Spikes and Custom Speaker Stands
Bright Star Audio Isolation Gear
Revox A77/PR99 - Tapepath Modified - Reel 2 Reel Players

-Mark

Here are some comments from last years event:

"The Polk Audio room was packed as usual!" - CAA 2010

"Mark of Polk Audio taking a break from the ever crowded room." - Gary Gill, Host/Organizer

"Polk Audio shows off their high end speakers on the second floor." - CAA 2010

"Polk Audio speaker lineup before the masses filled their room!" - CAA 2010
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited March 2011
    This looked like a great time last year! I'll have to check my schedule.... would love to check out some of this new gear (that I'll probably never be able to own). :wink::smile:
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited March 2011
    Looks great Mark:)
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited March 2011
    Not far from me.Do they allow rednecks in?
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited March 2011
    Wear a turtleneck, you'll be good as gold.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited March 2011
    More like a t-shirt. Class A power in July.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited March 2011
    dorokusai wrote: »
    ... not just a get together or elbow rub with 20 dudes....

You say that like it's a bad thing....

Sounds very cool.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2011
    Well, I should be able to bring a couple of nice sounding Revox A77s, one high speed 1/2 track and the other 1/4 track standard speed. Maybe a nice sounding Revox PR99 that turned out well. I can bring the Stellavox SP7 that is set up to play the TP tapes. One of the A77s can play those as well so different machines can be set up. I have some nice sounding tapes I can bring, some never released Count Basie stuff. I'll have to go through and find the more interesting ones.
    It's really great of Mark and Al to invite me to the event, typical Polk-Folk generosity.
    See you there, Ken
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited May 2011
    Looking forward to this.
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2011
    You should be. It would be great to have some 'noobs' show up. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Vette C6.r
    Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
    edited June 2011
    I'm in. I'll be there Sunday.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited June 2011
    Vette C6.r wrote: »
    I'm in. I'll be there Sunday.

Me too! Sounds like fun...
  • Vette C6.r
    edited June 2011
    We are probably meeting somewhere near you to carpool on Sunday.

IM us Ed if you want to join us.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2011
    Wish I could be there. I was living in the Rockville/Potomac area before moving to CA.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2011
    You guys/gals getting ramped up or what? This is a show worth attending if you are anywhere within a couple hours drive. Be there. Experience LSiM among lots of other exotic audio!

Who's coming, lets do this and show support for the brand you love!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • brgman
    edited June 2011
    I hope to be there.I am wondering about what you will hear as far as music genres.If i am interested in something will i have to base my decision on jazz and classical music even though i listen to rock?
    This doesn't look like a place that will be playing Stevie Ray Vaughan or the Allman Bros.
    Just wondering.

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited June 2011
    brgman wrote: »
    I hope to be there.I am wondering about what you will hear as far as music genres.If i am interested in something will i have to base my decision on jazz and classical music even though i listen to rock?
    This doesn't look like a place that will be playing Stevie Ray Vaughan or the Allman Bros.
    Just wondering.

Bring your own CD's many times if you get to someone that is not slammed you can put in your own music

Just be courteous many and have a good time
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like fun; think I'll head up there on Sunday, too. Jesse, are you going this year?

Schedule from the site:

Schedule of CAF

Thursday July 07 - CAF Setup
    3:00PM - 7:00PM: CAF Event Setup
    (You may be able to access rooms earlier depending on availability so ask at desk)
    7:00PM - Closed

Friday July 08
    8:00AM - 11:00AM: CAF Event Setup
    11:00AM - 7:00PM: CAF Open to Attendees
    6:00PM - Raffle Drawing at Registration desk
    7:00PM - CAF Closed

Saturday July 09 - Jazz Jam
    6:00PM - 8:00PM
    Be sure to be in the hotel lobby for a fun jam session along with your host. We will start off with a quintet and will go from there so bring your instrument!

Saturday July 09
    10:00AM - 11:00AM: CAF Event Setup
    11:00AM - 7:00PM: CAF Open to Attendees
    7:00PM - CAF Closed

Sunday July 10 - Swapmeet
    7:00AM - 8:00AM Swapmeet Setup
    8:00AM - 12:00NOON Swapmeet Open to Attendees
    11:30AM - Start Swapmeet Cleanup
    12:00NOON - Swapmeet Closed

Sunday July 10
    10:00AM - 11:00AM CAF Event Setup
    11:00AM - 6:00PM CAF Open to Attendees
    6:00PM - CAF Closed
    6:00PM - 9:00PM CAF Event Cleanup
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited June 2011
    brgman wrote: »
    I am wondering about what you will hear as far as music genres. If I am interested in something will I have to base my decision on jazz and classical music even though I listen to rock?

Good question. Last year Polk had a selection of rock, but IIRC none of the others did, which is rather short sighted since most of the shoppers are baby boomers brought up on rock & roll.

As txcoastal1 stated, bring your own music. The dealers are normally very accommodating.

Sounds like fun; think I'll head up there on Sunday, too.

I'll be there.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brgman
    edited June 2011
    Great! I'm in the market for a pre and listening to just Stan Getz and Beethoven won't get me to the promised land.

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, just bring whatever you want to hear. I've rarely been turned down by a manufacturer in regards to music. They usually welcome it since they're so tired of playing the same stuff over and over since that's what happens at every event, even CES.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • brgman
    edited June 2011
    F1nut wrote: »
    Good question. Last year Polk had a selection of rock, but IIRC none of the others did, which is rather short sighted since most of the shoppers are baby boomers brought up on rock & roll.

I couldn't agree more.I have no problem with what anyone likes to listen to (except maybe rap) but i always wonder if i am going to wake up one day and all of sudden like the stuff that has been the audiophile "standard" for years.
    Just look at what LP's etc keep getting re-made and released.IMHO there should be 100 times more rock and roll available than there is.I would think our generation is who they should try to cater to.

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • brgman
    edited June 2011
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Yeah, just bring whatever you want to hear. I've rarely been turned down by a manufacturer in regards to music. They usually welcome it since they're so tired of playing the same stuff over and over since that's what happens at every event, even CES.

Nice.Zappa and Ramones it is!:biggrin:

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Vette C6.r
    edited July 2011
    F1nut wrote: »

I'll be there.

Before noon too. What's this world coming to. I guess you're going to tell me you're into home theater now too.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2011
    OK....getting real close to game time. If you're helping tomorrow, call me tonight.

Forget Polkfest 2011 for right now and concentrate on this weekend.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2011
    What's $60K+ worth of front and back end look like? This.....

2CH : Audio Research Reference CD8 CD Player, Audio Research Reference 5 Pre-Amplifier, CTC BBQ Amplifier...optional/backup Audio Research Reference 210 Amplifier.

Blackstone : NAD VISO 5 CD/DVD/Receiver, Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, 100% Signal Cable interconnects.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited July 2011
    If you're helping tomorrow, call me tonight.

I tried, 3 times.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    edited July 2011
    About to board an MD80...you local guys make it happen and get out and show your support for Polk!
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited July 2011
    I am thinking about bringing some items to the swap meet Sunday. Do a lot of people attend? Will it cost me $20 for the swap meet and another $20 to get in to the show?
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2011
    I have no idea Romeo....PM for my phone number. Yes, the swap meet was pretty good last year. I'll also have stuff for it so you can piggyback with me, don't worry about the $20.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2011
    I talked to F1Nut...he's grabbing Russman @ the airport and some stuff from Polk Audio on the way down to the show today. This is just setup but if anyone wants to come down today, feel free to do so and help out with setup or just listening tweaks. I believe it will be F1Nut, Russman, Greybeard, Kenneth Swauger and myself. The more the merrier.

I'll be there by 2pm.