LSi tweeter scratchy

Options
Jockos
Jockos Posts: 310
edited September 2003 in Troubleshooting
I recently noticed that one of my LSi ring radiator tweeter sounds scratchy at times with certain vocals and highs. I took off the grille and noticed that around the center phase plug there is a small area where there is some glue/sealant missing that joins it to the main diaphragm. Has anybody else carefully looked at there ring tweeter and seen this? Is this normal? The other tweeter seems to be sealed all the way around. Anybody else had this experience, and could this be the cause of it.

JOCKOS
Post edited by Jockos on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Air leak....

can not be good....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Jockos,

Are you referring to where the High Freq Waveguide (the nipple) joins to the diaphragm..?? I have a small maybe 1 mm gap all the way around mine too with some adhesive looking stuff not uniform all the way around in there. I would say this is normal.

I would contact Ken Swauger in customer service by email to see what he has to say:

kswauger@polkaudio.com

hmm.. this might be the first time I hear / read about a bum LSi tweeter...

PJ
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I also hope it's the last tweeter problem too. I've got the '9s on the 2-ch brain.

If you haven't done it yet, check all sources especially FM if you are using a receiver. If still there, I'd swap left and right speaker cables. If the problem is still there, swap left and right speakers.

Good luck!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Jockos
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions. To pjdami your're exactly correct in the terminology of the suspect parts. I wonder if alot of the tweeters are like that, mine has about a 2mm gap. Gidrah when you were referring to trying FM are you talking about testing with white noise?
    I am going to give it a shot tommorrow as well as swapping the channels; will report back ASAP. I am driving the LSi's with a NAD 370. Has anyone else examined there ring tweeter for gaps? Ken S. do you have any info. on the normality of the gaps in the tweeters?
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Jockos,

Before contacting Ken you will want to do as gidrah has suggested and swap the speakers around to eliminate a source problem. The FM he is referring to could be reception related. Do you notice this problem regardless of the source like when you play cds? Also swap speaker wires and see if the problem stays with the suspect speaker. Ken will probably want to know if you did some basic troubleshooting when you contact him.

Paul
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I'm just saying to use the tuner and listen to a radio station. If the problem goes away it's one (or more) of your sources or their connection.

Not too long ago I thought I blew a tweeter in my 2ch rig. It ended up just being a bad connection on the back of the Playstation I was using for CD.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Jockos
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have compleated my intial testing by trying different sources and swapping left and right channels. The problem is somewhat source related. I notice as you turn up the volume to moderate levels the tweeter sounds a little compressed. Wondering if the missing gap of glue/sealant could be causing this. Is the tweeter supposed to be air tight behind the diaphrahm/wave guide. Iam working on taking some pictures. Does anybody know how to shink the pictures down as well as the file size?
  • Jockos
    edited August 2003
    Options
  • Jockos
    edited August 2003
    Options
  • Jockos
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I received my replacement ring tweeter from polk. New tweeter looks great. Bravo to the great customer service. I did notice a sticker on the new tweeter that says LSi 7. Is there any difference between the ring tweeters in the various models? I have the LSi 15's.

Jockos
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    edited September 2003
    Options
    No difference, one fits all.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk