LSi's in the house....

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited August 2003 in Speakers
FedEx dropped off some early (or late depending on how you wanna look at it) Christmas presents for me today. I got my LSi9's and LSi7's. Unfortunately, the center didn't come. It will probably show up tommorow.....

Right out of the box, these are some HEAVY mofos. The 7's are MUCH bigger than I thought. I was thinking something along the lines of an RTi25 but these things are HUGE.

I've got them hooked up in the cave (the 9's) and a couple of initial impressions (subject to change and pending a more comprehensive review): these are one of the flattest sounding speakers I can recall listening to. They have a very DQ-10-ish like top end. I also don't think I've ever been struck by a bookshelf having such bass response. The manual says on the 9's 50Hz +/-3db but I'd SWEAR it seems much lower.....

Anyway, I'm happier than a clam at highwater and I'm off to the cave to play....

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited August 2003
    Options
    congrats, Troy! and belated welcome home too!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Welcome home Troy, I wasn't sure if it was official until Polka's post. Sorry if it was actually sooner than now. Nice to hear that you are giddy like a schoolgirl....I think you have a partner right now in the "I am an audio freak" category with Faster100...lol

Nice to see you safe, and get your ears back to normal. I served, and Cannon Cockers make a Commo guys life a living HELL! You are lucky to have missed all that BS at least. :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Lsi's simply shine! when you've got some spare time try the 7's in a 2 channel setup, they will also cause your ear lobes wiggle with joy.............or as some might say....Aural Zen Whoopie!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Congrads Troy.......sweet man.They sound much better after there run in.Give them time,they do take alot of it.

Very cool,
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I think they sound pretty good out of the box, actually.

Well, the 7's are actually going to go into the bedroom (re: Wendi's) 2ch rig. For a couple of reasons. One being that they are too big to go where my rears are now and more importantly, it seems like a waste of a damn good speaker to be hanging for rear effects in HT...

Off to see the wizard!

BDT
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Troy,
    that was exactly what I thought of, when I got them. What I've been doing now is to listen 2 ch using DPLII, utilizing all channels so that I get to use the 7. It's such a nice speak..
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Just an update.....the center arrived last night. Got the front soundstage hooked up although I still need stands for the 9's (BETTER stands I should say) and I need to double run the speaker wire to biwire but I'm on my way to Aural Zen Whoopie. I don't know though, I'm torn, I thought I had Transparent in my sole but know I just don't know. Lemme go check my horoscope.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited August 2003
    Options
    You got really nice speakers,why would you think of putting Transparent on them?

Aren't you a firm believer in lamp cord,home depot wire???Why not use that?it won't cost you anything...and sound as good as Transparent.I bet you'll find that in your horoscope.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I never said wire didn't make a difference. Never not once. What I DID say is that if you take basic Monster, AR, RatShack, HD etc etc....the differences in them all are somewhere between minimal and nonexistent. Having said that, I also believe that with the gear that most of us use, including 'reference integrated quality receivers' that esoteric wire is overkill, in my opinion. I also believe that wire is where the greatest 'placebo' effect is. If you hear it and you dig it, so much the better I say.

BDT
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Troy - I found my AB shootout between MC and MIT to be very significant. There was a price difference, perhaps it wasn't even fair, but I tried to be as true to the review as possible. That being said, I would not in any way, go over that basic price range for a cable, period. MIT is/was the maximum I will ever spend on a given interconnect. I am not in the position to spend the outrageous amounts that some of these manufacturers ask for their even higher end cable. There are way too many things for us audio fans to get into, then spend $1000 on 1 set of cables.

All of this is probably crazy when you think about it....I know the lovely Terrie, thinks I am insane. :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Congrats on the purchase Troy. You have a kick **** system there. We'll be waiting for a review:).

For the wires...so far I'm happy with my Monster. Never tried Transparent or any expensive speaker wires.

Maurice
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Troy,

Congratulations on your LSi purchase. I'm digging mine more and more every day.
    I also believe that wire is where the greatest 'placebo' effect is. If you hear it and you dig it, so much the better I say.

Well, I guess I fall into this category. I went from 10 year old original Monster wire, to Monster XP, to IXOS super gamma 7 biwire, to Transparent Musicwave with Transparent jumpers, to Transparent Musicwave Biwire.

Dan turned me onto Transparent. IMHO that wire has maxed out my system performance. It helped squeeze out the last 10 - 15% of clearness and detail that the LSi can provide. This is a qualitative number of course but I know it just sounds better. I tried many times to disprove this theory by swapping back to the inexpensive wire only to find myself longing for the better wire back in my system.

What Dan recommends is not usually inexpensive. But I have found that he has good taste in matching gear and solid recommendations. His advice isn't for everyone because there is a price / performance ratio involved and that is a personal decision that we all have to make whether or not we want to go that route. For me... I'm glad I did.

Paul
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to say Dan has 'good taste'. Cmon now, his ego is big enough already, lets not make his head explode.

Anyone can recommend 'high end' or 'totl' gear, and for the price, well, it better sound good. Secondly, from a reputable company, why wouldn't it?

You bought the wire, now will you go get the Danes, Maggies or VMPS ribbons? ;) Chances are they will sound better! ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I'm going to echo Russ's sentiments.....

I'm not suggesting that my cheapie AR wire is comparable to a pair of top of the line cables. Shoot for what they charge, they ought to sound better. However, to me, throwing out top of the line or even major brand names isn't rocket science. I also believe that these brands are designed to mate well with a wide spectrum of gear. So, sure, Transparent and Rotel probably do sound great together as I'm sure Transparent probably sounds good with B&K, Denon, Marantz, NAD etc etc etc. I'm not knocking Dan, but, frankly, sure, I could recommend Transparent Musiclinks or what have you with any piece of gear that you have and it will probably sound better than the patchchord or entry AR's or Monster cables etc etc. I would also say that I take with a grain of salt a remark that "OK, if you have Brand X gear and Brand Y speakers and Brand Z IC's....that you should use Brand M speaker wire (or any varation of the above scenario) because there are WAY to many variables (not the least of which is that we all hear things different) to make a blanket statement like that.

Having said all that, I'm also of the opinion that IC's make more of a difference than speaker wire. I found more difference swapping IC's than I have swapping speaker wire.

A more comprehensive review of the LSi's will be forthcoming, be patient, but I can tell you that I'm DIGGING them huge.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited August 2003
    Options
    No, I don't have any real experience with SDA. YET. Not until Russ gets his travel on to SC.

BDT
  • pjdami
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Troy,
    Having said all that, I'm also of the opinion that IC's make more of a difference than speaker wire. I found more difference swapping IC's than I have swapping speaker wire.

I agree with you 100% on this issue. The ICs I have found to have a profound influence on the sound. I used entry level IC's (< $15 for years) until I discovered this website through my brother TonyPTX. Anthony, if you read this you are to blame for my newly sparkled addiction.

Troy it's cool you are digging the LSi. They are so different from the other six pair of speakers that I own (Russ you got me beat with like 18 pair of speakers??? damn!! I thought I was hooked).

The better wire, I got second-hand from generous people on this forum like Dan and gshisme. I don't think I would have paid retail for this wire. But second-hand you can get some really sweet deals. I have tried to return the favor of learnings and deals from this website through my generous sale of equipment here as well. Just me giving back to the forum a little. I know that I could have maybe gotten a few extra bucks on eBay or Audiogon but I didn't want to do that.

Dan has been one very nice person on my direct emails to him. He has helped me out a lot. Egotistic?? I have not seen that with my dealings with him. I don't know what happened here before four months ago (as long as I have been a member) but that's probably none of my business as well.

I will say this. We all enjoy this audio hobby and that's what matters the most. Russ and Dan, both these dudes know a lot more than I do because they have tried out a lot of gear (and there are plenty others you know who ya'll are).... more than me... and I have been through a lot of gear myself. Both of you have your target audience that you appeal to and are able to help out. Its all good folks.... this forum wouldn't be the same without both of you and Troy as well. Checks and balances... its all good...

Paul
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Checks and Balance eh...

So Russ Checks me, then I balance? ;) hahahaha
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Frank Z
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Congrats Troy, I will be recieving some LSi's within the next three weeks as well. Looking foward to it!

Stop! Back up the freakin' Lsi Bus! Did I miss something here?!? You have 9's already.....or at least you had Lsi9's at one point. And if memory serves they weren't up to your standards/expectations! What gives?

Vanna I need a vowel....and a clue..... please!

I'm not raggin'on ya, I'm just trying to figure out what I missed here!
  • pjdami
    edited August 2003
    Options
    So Russ Checks me, then I balance? hahahaha

Hey Mx,

Nah. More like Russ checks you, you move, then you get checkmated!!!;)

But you know what. You'll have your day. You know a lot more than I did at your age and you will probably know more than I do when you get to be my age about this hobby. Keep your learn on and your ears open bud!

Paul
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Sean you lucky ****! 750 for the pair???? I'm sure you're going to enjoy them. You really have a thing for full range towers eh?:)

Maurice
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome back. That hazard pay has benefits. I had a package almost all ready for you. There were just a couple of ingredients missing. Since you're home now and won't need baby wipes, hot sauce, etc., I'll just send some of those missing ingredients in the future. I have a backlog and a honey-do list that you couldn't believe.
    Anybody wanna buy a fixer upper of a house? How's about rent an upper flat? How's about rubbin' out (and not in the good way unless it works) a city building inspector?

ATC: Don't discount that combination yet. It might be a good contrast. It's been a very long time since I've heard SDAs, but it seems like a they could use a little forward lighting. PS package received!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Frank Z
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Sean,
    Understood....I think.;)

So do you still have the 9's?
  • TroyD
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Ahhhh, I give it a month and they will be for sale ;)

BDT
  • Frank Z
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I think that we've kinda jumped the tracks on Troy's thread!

Everyone say Hi to Mr. Jackson....HI-JACK!!

We now re-join the original thread.....

Troy, have you hooked up the CJ amp to the 9's yet? The local Lsi dealer has the same type set up and it sounds incredible!
  • TroyD
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    I think that we've kinda jumped the tracks on Troy's thread!

Everyone say Hi to Mr. Jackson....HI-JACK!!

We now re-join the original thread.....

Troy, have you hooked up the CJ amp to the 9's yet? The local Lsi dealer has the same type set up and it sounds incredible!

I did hook up the CJ to the 7's and it did sound pretty sweet, I must admit!

PFFFFFFT.....like I haven't hijacked a thread or two :D

BDT
  • Frank Z
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    I did hook up the CJ to the 7's and it did sound pretty sweet, I must admit!

Cool! The bigger Lsi's seem to get the most attention around here, but it is amazing how well the 7's sound all by themselves! If I had not gotten such a great deal on my 9's from Hoosier, I would have probably gone with the 7's for my living room! I can understand not wanting to use your 7's for surrround duties (side or rear) but having a room full of Lsi's for Multichannel music as well as movies is just about as close to ZEN WHOOPIE as I'll ever get. Hook up those 7's in your HT for a weekend and you'll see what I mean. You can make it up to Wendy by getting her some 15's or 25's!!:D
  • TroyD
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Well, I'm not ruling out the possibility but, like I said, for rear ambient noise, I'm more than happy to leave the R10's for rears. The 7's are going to be for the lovely Wendi's 2ch rig for now. I got to get busy and find a preamp with remote for her actually.

Actually, right now in the cave, I've got the DQ's, my RTA12C's, B&W and the LSi7's....now THAT is Zen Whoopie!

BDT
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I think I would try the lsi rears a few times just to see if keeping all lsi's make a difference. Sounds like a nice system, congrats!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • mantis
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Troy,Russ,
    guys why is it when someone wants to say thanks for help from me you guys want to find anyway to bash it?

Makes no sense as I read it.I helped out some fellow brothers in here and you guys want to say"hey anyone could have given you the same exact advice".But you know what???No one did.

It really doesn't matter,his system is really coming along sweet,thats really the only thing that does matter here.

Kick me all you want,you know in your heart who the effin man is around here:D .........I'M THE MOTHER EFFER!!!!!!

Good luck with the Lsi's Troy,there great speakers.But don't ask me for any advice,anyone can tell you how to tweak them.

The unknowing general knowledge Mantis:confused:
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Christ Dan, don't have a complex. You are the man, you know everything.

All I'm saying is that yes, anyone can say, for example, Transparent and B&K sound good together. The odds are that you are right. I'm not saying it's not good advice, I'm just saying that it for what they charge, it should and they should mate well with many different combinations.

Oh, by the way, I got the hate emails you sent to my Charleston.af.mil address while I was gone yesterday. Sorry, I didn't read them sooner but thanks for letting me know what a dirtbag you think I am.

BDT