SDA SRS tweeter protection circuit

gator82
gator82 Posts: 5
edited August 2003 in Troubleshooting
Can anyone tell me their experience with the tweeter protection circuit breaker for a SDA SRS.

I'm running a Bryston 14 B ST (600 watts @ 8ohms) with my SRS and am tripping the tweeter circuit breaker just at 11o'clock on my Sony TAE 9000, while playing rock music. At my seated location this registers at about 95db. Of course some would say this is loud enough, but I'm looking for more.

Does this performance seem normal? Is the speaker capable of more? Does this circuit degrade with time?

Thanks for the help.
Post edited by gator82 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2003
    You need a better pre.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Kinda confuses me as clipping should not be an issue at 600 wpc. Is the "tripping" occurring in one or both channels?

I think it was raife that commented in the past that he has disabled the protection circuit in at least one of his SDA pairs, but I would hesitiate to offer this as a solution. Raife will likely be along to comment at some point.

I want to say the Bryston runs twin power supplies, and as such may not be a common ground design. Obviously contacting Bryston would be in order on this point. If I am correct, then buying or building the modified SDA IC would be in order.

I would also recommend that you contact Ken Swaugger at Polk CS for a copy of the SDA troubleshooting guide. It's a comprehensive set of relatively simple VOM tests that will identify any issues you may have with your SRS's.

Good Luck...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gator82
    edited August 2003
    Tour2ma-

"Tripping" is occuring in both speakers. The tweeters will shut down and if I back the power down for 10 seconds or so, they will come back on. Frustrating as hell, because the speakers don't sound stressed at all before this occurs.

F1nut -
    How would a better pre alleviate this?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2003
    Hello,
    It is possible that the Polyswitch (tweeter protection device) is tripping at a lower threshold, over the years if the device is tripped repeatedly it will begin opening up sooner and sooner. If you can contact me at kswauger@polkaudio.com I can send the correct replacements and some general instructions.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Ken,
    I'd be interested in this info as well. You got mail...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited August 2003
    This was happening on my monitor 10s. Seemed like the tweets would cut out well below the level they should have. I was given the same explanation from Ken and decided to replace the polyswitches. While I was at it, I also upgraded several other crossover components. They haven't tripped once since then and unless my aural memory failed me, they sounded much better as well. Good luck, it sounds like that should take care of it for you.
  • gator82
    edited August 2003
    I've hooked up with Ken and he's sending out the polyswitches.
    Thanks for the advice and I'll post the results upon completion.