Denon DVD 2900

Options
Devildog
Devildog Posts: 68
edited August 2003 in Troubleshooting
Could anyone give me their input on a new 2900 I connected to a Denon 4802 with the coax digital connection? I wanted to use the unit primarily to play DVD-A and SACD but after hooking it up, I get a great picture, DVD-A and SACD work fantastic but I can't get any sound from the digital output. I made certain that the 4802 is set for the correct coax input (coax 1) and I even tried switching it to coax 2 on the physical connection and the receiver. Still no noise. Please guys.:confused:
The Revolution will not be televised.
Post edited by Devildog on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Nice DVD player you have man.

Hey I'm not into DVD audio or SACD yet, but don't you have to use the six analog outputs with RCA interconnects between your DVD player and your receiver to get DVD audio / SACD sound?

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/reviews/20030715/S-G2maPcmge1f/denon_review.html?page=2

Dr. Spec has this same unit. I'm sure he will chime in with some suggestions. He knows this player well as do others.

Paul
  • Devildog
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Paul
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, I have the analog outputs connected properly and they work great. My problem was with the digital audio output. I was using a brand new Monster M Series M1000D cable and I never in a million years would have guessed the problem is the cable. I swapped out another optical cable from my laser disc player and tried it with the new Denon. IT WORKS. I put the new Monster cable in the LaserDisc player and - NO SOUND. I really thankful I'm not sending the 2900 back for repair. The cables will fly much cheaper. I'll now start using all the tips from you guys to set up as properly as I can. My first coax audio attempt was a real bummer.:)
  • pjdami
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Devildog,

Cool deal you got your problem fixed. Great troubleshooting on your part. Shucks the cable would have been the last thing I would have thought of. Sorry for misinterpreting your question.

So what are your impressions of SACD / DVD audio? I guess I'm still an ole fashion two channel analog nut. I was checking out the SACD section at Best Buy the other day and they didn't seem to have a whole lot.

What's strange to me when listening to it is that you are in the middle of the soundstage and it is confusing to me since I'm loyal to two channel. Definitely takes some getting used to and I haven't experimented too much in the multi-channel arena but one of these days I may modernize and get with the program.

Am I missing out or what??

Paul
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Nice player Dog, that is real odd that it was a cable....hmmmm go figure.

I had the same problem, but it was a menu issue, and shortly thereafter solved.

PJ - Yes, you need to check it out closely. SACD is the best investment I ever made. F1Nut got me hooked, and now I would really be suprised if I buy a regular CD ever again. If its not on SACD, I will wait.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited August 2003
    Options
    hehe...........:D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Plus, pj, you don't have to be surrounded with the hi-res formats; you can also enjoy traditional stereo, but with superior resolution.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Devildog
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Yes, that's certainly true, L&C. I just got back from listening to Deep Purple Machine Head and Yes, Fragile, and they really sounded great. I stll have the old RT's too but I'm really satisfied with the sound. I was really panicked about sending that 2900 back for repair after it was just smuggled in yesterday. WAF is important but the best I can hope for is neutrality. I'll hide the receipt for the monster cable going back, what could a little set of wires really cost anyway. Kimber may be next.
  • pjdami
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Plus, pj, you don't have to be surrounded with the hi-res formats; you can also enjoy traditional stereo, but with superior resolution.

So are all SACDs capable of two channel playback? Would a Sony SACD or Denon which are both fine units in two channel, outperform say a Rotel or Arcam analog two channel player? Hmm... here I am the past few months trying to find a cd player and I may be barking up the wrong tree.

What are most folks buying SACD or DVD audio?

Damn I've totally hijacked this thread but ya boy dog got his problem fixed so what the heck...
    :o

p.s. just when I thought I was done with upgrades (except for better sub... now I gotta learn about this!)
  • Loud & Clear
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I was under the impression that all SACD's and DVD-A's have a two channel mix, but that they don't all have 5.1 mixes. I may have it wrong. So, yes (if I'm right), you could scrap the CD player search and get yourself a hi-res unit and rock out two channel style, with all the dynamics and resolution that you'd no doubt enjoy.

Kind of pisses me off, as in December I bought myself a nice CD player, and so I thought I had it made; now this ****. Whatever, I'll pay any amount of money I have to and have the thing modded out to accommodate these hi-falootin' formats, even if it's COMPLETELY cost ineffective.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Yes, all SACD's have a two channel mix, the hybrid SACD's have a 2 channel redbook layer and a 2 channel SACD layer. On many, if not all hybrid SACD's the redbook layer is better than a standard redbook cd.

The top of the line Sony SACD players will do redbook better than anything from Rotel and probably Arcam too, IMHO.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have a question......I'd say 99.9% of the time I listen to techno/trance/house type of music. From what I've very casually noticed when shopping for DVD's, most of the DVD-A/SACD's seem to be geared towards specific types of genre's, and not likely to completely cover the spectrum........

True?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Loud & Clear
    edited August 2003
    Options
    On many, if not all hybrid SACD's the redbook layer is better than a standard redbook CD.

~~ Can you explain why you think that is? Should one look to purchase SACD's, even if they only have redbook CD players?

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami
    Devildog,

Am I missing out or what??

Paul

pjdami,

I work in a pretty nice hometheater shop and have had some time to compare SACD, DVD-A, and LP.

The Hi-Res digital was running on the Denon 2900 through an AVR4802. The analog was a Sony fully manual PSLX350H (nothing to brag about) running through a Yamaha RX-V2300. I tested with an assortment of speakers including Lsi 15's and 25's. As you may have noticed the deck is definatly stacked in the digital formats favor. However in my opinion the digital still could not outdo the good old LP's.

The Analog setup had much better imaging and a much richer sound. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to bash the 2900 or the formats for that matter. Hi-res is a huge improvement over cd however I still think there is room for improvement.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when I want to sit down and get lost in some music. I'm sticking with analog.

Hope I haven't offended.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,