First Polk Driver to Go...........

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,020
edited August 2003 in Troubleshooting
Left RT35i tweeter just went byyyyye byyyyyyyye.......ooooooooo welllllll

How much do the tweets cost to replace? Anyone know?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Anyone else notice how many times Sid has said he was listening at 110+db in the past, oh, say 3 months or so?

Sid, you sir are GROUNDED. Go to your room.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    110db
    KLH. I only listen to my polk speakers at 105db (TOGETHER). 98-100db alone. They have suffered NO abuse. I do not distort my speakers. THANK YOU

AND

I AM IN MY ROOM.......lol

So bob -- how much do the tweets cost?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited July 2003
    Options
    This isn't Club Polk we are on is it? The place where we can all buy parts? ;)
    If you pull the tweeter, look at the model number and check it against the list up there in service and parts.
    Should be around $70, bummer.
    Mike
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Sid,
    The clipping that takes out tweets is not necessarily associated with audible distortion.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    HOLY $#_(*%)U*#)@_)%((*# @(_$*#$)(*****_@)(****_)(@ 88 $#@(*@_$_)*@((_*#@ DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!! $_(@*_#@(_#@_%&)*&
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2003
    Options
    One of those e-bay amps may be clipping, you just couldnt tell with a 110 db volume, LOL
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    No when Adcoms clip they go in protection mode.......
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Options
    No Sid, they do not go into 'protection' mode when they start to clip.

Very unlikely the tweeter just 'gave out'. You more than likely started to clip the amp, even if it was clipping say 5% of the time, that is still enough to cause damage.

Clipping is a variable scale, not simply an on or off, yes or no.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    OK.......

I dont really care.........lol --- I need 88 dollars........

You know for an entry level speaker that effin tweeter is pretty effin dang expensive.......
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Why get it fixed? It should mate well with your half-blown M&K, no?

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2003
    Options
    smiley_rotflmao.gif
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Why get it fixed? It should mate well with your half-blown M&K, no?

Cheers,
    Russ

Perfectly.......

You know........
    while im at it........
    I should just unplug my right RT35i's woofer......
    My CS245i 'more passive acting' woofer
    and a RT25i woofer and tweet.....
    Then everything will be screwed......
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Wait a second here, Sid's been up to 120 dB (by his own estimation), with those pro-grade touring KLH concert speaks he owns.

Sid, like the woofers in your M&K, the tri-lam tweet is fragile and must be treated with care and be fed clean power. No amp is clean if you overdrive it, not even your beloved Adcoms.

Nothing brings a juvenile back to earth quicker than when it hits them in the wallet. Now you are up to about $180 for the woof and the tweet. Pretty soon you won't have any speaks left at all.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    That friggin KLH speaker is still singing to :cool:

I should just keep playing the speakers till they all blow so I can trash them all and get KLH speakers!!!!!!! lol!!!

But I plan to replace the Tweeter and the M&K woofer as soon as I get the money. They are next on my list. My 10 minutes of 105db is no more, 100db is all.

The KLH played 120db on a Bass track that is like a crashing plane. It pans from right to left with extreme dynamics. It is not hard to do it but at that volume any Polk speaker would have cried for its momma.

That KLH has survived much torture and pain - from DJing to Adcom testing....:cool:
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Woooooooooooooooooooo

BIIIIIIIIIIIG DISCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!

70.40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • faster100
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Stop being so concerned with DB's output, listen at what sounds good, 110-120 db doesnt always sound good, specially on such small speakers... for the most part. I have reached 100+db for testing and just plain seeing what sounded clean at said volume . but not every other day. You overpowered, or clipped it and it blew, end of story. I don't care what the speaker can handle and what the adcoms can put out. if its to much, or clips(whether you can hear it clip or not) it will blow, distort or burn the coil.. I blew my first 404, to much gain, to much volume, and the amp is mated to the sub obvuiously they come together, doesnt mean it "can't" blow.. you will certainly have hearing loss at those volumes or damage, whether its one time a week for 5 years or everyday for a month, I have tinnitus from shooting a gun with no ear protection, now i can hear ringing in my ears for the past 5 years.. its not fun.. on the serious side.. you can say "oh i only played it for a minute all you want" fact is you have said in several hundred posts,LOL that you had it to 100,110,120 db

And why ruin all your speakers, just for the sake of doing it? Have fun, and if you blow something, learn from it.. keeping DB's in mind at all times isn't learning,

My 10 minutes of 105db is no more, 100db is all
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The only thing has played up to 119-120db is the M&K, and that was for a split second along with the KLH. The RT35i has *NEVER* played past 103-105db! NEVER******
    The ENTIRE system has played UP to 110db! *THE ENTIRE*** System. Get it right before you go ranting about my listening habits.......

The KLH speaker played 107-110db and it is still kicking laughing, etc
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    A gun shot is *OVER* 120db!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duration
    (Hours) Sound Level
    Slow Response

32.0 80
    WAY BELOW this point when I am sitting at my computer
    27.9 81
    24.3 82
    21.1 83
    18.4 84
    16.0 as
    13.9 86
    12.1 87
    10.6 88
    9.2 89
    8.0 90
    7.0 91
    6.2 92
    5.3 93
    4.6 94
    4.0 95
    3.5 96 ----
    3.0 97 ----
    2.6 98 --- I listen in those areas when I really want to jam (THIS IS WITH THE WHOLE SYSTEM)
    2.3 99 ---
    2.0 100 ---
    1.7 101
    1.5 102
    1.4 103
    1.3 104
    1.0 105
    I think 105 db for 10 minutes is doing me *NO* harm (THIS IS ALSO WITH THE WHOLE SYSTEM)

Also, Let me explain what happened Sherlock ---
    I was playing a bass track straight through testing my corner placement with my subwoofer on the track that hits around 120db for that split second in the sub - well the Cheap walmart cd skipped and a left pan of high frequency went to the left main
    in doing this at extreme volumes *like -25* on the receiver which is loud for that track the tweeter cut out and blew. It was NOT from NORMAL listening levels. I DO NOT
    ABUSE
    My Speakers!
  • faster100
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3

Also, Let me explain what happened Sherlock ---

I was just trying to help, If this comment was for me, I'll make sure not to try and "help" you anymore in this thread.. your 14, Ok you maybe pretty smart for 14, BUT you don't know everything,. as you tell me.. when you think im taking something the wrong way, CHILL..

and you must have super human hearing, lets see...:D
    you can determine THD and hear it in speakers,
    you can determine DB levels without a meter,
    and you can tell when a amp is clipping when the little "clip" light comes on, am i about there yet? :rolleyes:

just hacking ya sid,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I dont know how loud it is - I have ran a meter, i have an idea of how loud a certain DB is - the KLH measurments were a shear guesstament. I can not tell THD - but my M&K bottums out everytime it is played louder than 100db. That is distortion to me. When the LEDs light up on the adcoms, that is clipping.

I CHILLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIINNNNN

I dont mind help - but I am trying to get this past u all that I dont blare my ear drums off all day. No biggie
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Oh yeah, I push 120db like a rock concert yo. The house go woooooooo and the house go shift and the house go boooooooooooooooooooooom! Boooooooooom Boooooooooooom!
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2003
    Options
    i thought concerts were 140?:p