"The Wall" which CD version is best?

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited February 2012 in Music & Movies
I just listened to "The Wall" for the first time in a long time. It sounded like crap. Muddy and thick.

How can such a sonically important band produce such a crappy sounding CD? (This is probably the original Columbia 2-disc set from forever ago.)

Has there ever been a remastered SDCD (not interested in expensive gold pressings or SA or DVD-A, etc) version? Can you link me to it?

Thanks!

Micah Cohen
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think, unless you want to spring for the expensive MoFi.....you are out of luck, my friend.

This is one case where the vinyl is the best option.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited January 2011
    Options
    get the live version from 2000...is there anybody out there..

mike
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited January 2011
    Options
    A vinyl rip perhaps. I could be wrong but besides the MOFI version I thought there was a remaster cd version out there.

Edit: Found it. I knew there was. Can't vouch for quality though. Excellent price.

http://www.amazon.ca/Wall-Ltd-Ed-Pink-Floyd/dp/B000006TRV/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295039887&sr=8-1-fkmr0
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • B&W802d
    B&W802d Posts: 72
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The two that sound the best by far is the MOFI version and the 1/2 speed lp master. There are some others available but whoever did the lp ripping used the worst equipment possible. The original sounds far better. If you want the best sounding one available you've got to get off some cash. Here is a link for you to check out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pink-Floyd-Wall-MFSL-UltraDisc-Gold-CD-MINT-Japan-/200562169649?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item2eb26fd731
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Whatever version I bought from F1Nut years ago.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I bought the cd and returned it!!! I agree the LP sounds way better
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yep, I bought the MOFI when it came out and it is by far the gold standard (no pun intended) for this album on CD. Sure wish MOFI would put out The Final Cut on gold disc as well...my fave PF album!
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • meremortal
    meremortal Posts: 12
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The CBS/Sony 50DP 361-2 Japanese pressing is the best I've heard but I've yet to hear a bad pressing of this album, thankfully.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I have a Capitol / Harvest release dated 2000, CDP 724383124329 (which is also the upc), says it's from a digital remaster in 1994.

No congestion, tons of dynamic range, sounds great!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I just listened to "The Wall" for the first time in a long time. It sounded like crap. Muddy and thick.

How can such a sonically important band produce such a crappy sounding CD? (This is probably the original Columbia 2-disc set from forever ago.)

Has there ever been a remastered SDCD (not interested in expensive gold pressings or SA or DVD-A, etc) version? Can you link me to it?

Thanks!

Micah Cohen

Do you have the catalog # of the offending version? I think I have an original. (or number off the disc itself)

I can only think of one trouble spot, which is during "Hey You" There's a dynamic peak when the drums come in- that will bottom my LSi9s, if at or above moderately loud.

No mud here, but it's been awhile since spinning. Will give it another go.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,402
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Micha, you live less than a hop, skip and a jump away. I have what I feel is a good CD, however, I'm interested in how this stacks up to what you purchased. We'll do lunch and get our ears on.

In the meantime, what is the catalog# of what you have?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Agree the MFSL version is good (although it's been a while since I've heard it, honestly). The original Japan pressed (U.S. release) Harvest pressing is very nice as well. I have never heard the remastered version (from 1994).

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I have the same CD version Russman references and it sounds pretty good. I also have the remasters from the Shine On box set and they sound good also. I haven't really taken the time to compare the Shine On version to the other CD I have, but based on the 1992 date for the Shine On box set and the 1994 date for the remastered CD, they are most likely very similar if not the same mastering.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • LessisNevermore
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Mine is the Columbia set # C2K 36183 Dated 1979- no other date shown.:confused:

The mid bass has some bloom to it, but the bass notes are tight and fast. Overall level might be a bit hot.
    ymmv
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,359
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I have a Harvest EMI release of The Wall that is neither muddy or thick, at all. Very dynamic. It is a '94 remastered re-release from the Netherlands. Here is an 11 page thread about The Wall at the Steve Hoffman forums. There could be more over there.

Duell, next project? :biggrin:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=74933
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • LessisNevermore
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You're on!

:biggrin::biggrin:
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You're on!

:biggrin::biggrin:

I've got The Wall on vinyl too, but not a fine Holland pressing like my Moving Pictures.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Duell, didn't we play a track off The Wall the time you were here before our recording session? I had you focusing on the choked cymbals with drum beats in The Happiest Days of Our Lives. Was it CD or vinyl, or both?
  • LessisNevermore
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Rich, I believe it was vinyl. I forgot about that!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Wanted to drudge this one back up again. I have the later Columbia release of "The Wall" and it sounds like poo-poo. Thick, lacking dynamics, muted...you name it; a real beer coaster. I too, am looking to turn my version into .22 targets, so a little help?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I wonder about the 2011 remaster?

I always though Animals was abysmal on CD, and bought the 2011 remaster on a hunch and it's MUCH better, maybe a little hot but overall way better dynamics.
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Mine is LITERALLY "horse blanket over the speakers" bad. I can't believe my dumb **** paid $27 bucks for this POS.

True Story:
    I was listening to Sonic on DirecTV yesterday when the song "The Wall" came on---which prompted me to quickly switch to the CD, to hear it "right." That's when I noticed it actually sounded better on DTV! If you can believe that...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Have you heard the 2011 remaster?
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I haven't---I think I bought mine like 5-7 years ago. It says "capitol records" on it.
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited January 2012
    Options
    2011 remaster is well worth it...not a big fan of the wall..coulda been 1 side..bought the remaster along with wywh, obscured by clouds, darkside and atom heart mama....with the wall remaster, i can now hear drums, snares even..before the drums were way down in the mix
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'll have to look for that pup--thanks fellas.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2012
    Options
    good thing is it's cheap and readily available anywhere. I picked up Animals remaster at Best Buy for 12 bucks
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Funny, the OP never bothered to resond to, or to thank those who tried to help him in this thread.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'd say given who the OP was and what he's done for the forum that he gets a pass.
  • 72RR
    72RR Posts: 159
    edited January 2012
    Options
    On a side note:
    What do you guys think of the Roger Waters release from a number of years ago, the one recorded in Berlin with guest artists?
    To me, Sinead O’Connor’s performance outdid the original in many aspects.