Mantis ... Kimber Kable questions

Options
pjdami
pjdami Posts: 1,894
Mantis,

Got the Kimber Kable Hero interconnects in today in preparation for the LSi 15 on the two channel rig with the B&K setup.

The WBT locking bananas are truly sweet. Made in Germany too; impressive.

I just noticed that I have the XLR balanced output connections between the PT5 and the ST 125.2. What are the advantages if any of using these instead of the regular analog outputs with the bananas. Did I screw up by ordering the bananas? Or is the regular analog output okay for the resolution of my system? I have 30 days to return these if the balanced output is better from the B&K.

Also speaker wire, Kimber 4TC vs. 8TC. Same exact conductor in both, just 8TC has more of it in more strands. Seems like a lot of the folks in Audioreview.com like the 4TC better. Big difference in cost between the two. I know you like the 8TC but have you had a chance to listen to the 4TC?

Damn these Pdimes have new life to them now. Still cooking the Kimbers but I like what I'm hearing. Enya never sounded better. Actually got startled by a bass note just now at the same volume level I normally listen to (like where did that come from?) Replaced these Aurelle Dynamics interconnects with the Kimbers. These cost me $60 / pair:
Post edited by pjdami on

Comments

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Looking for some?
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Paul,
    FWIW, I use the XLR Signal Cable to link my B&K pre to power. The main benefit is less interference and lower noise floor on a long run (I think due to the ground pin, but I am not completely sure about this, there are several write-up on the net you can google.) I didn't try to compare them to regular RCA and I am doubtful if I can hear the difference, since it is only a 3ft run. But, why not use it since we have it, considering that on a Lexicon MC-8, the XLR option worths $1000 MSRP premium...It is a much more secure connection too (XLR comes with a locking notch)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Audioadvisor has em.

If you do, you should try the Silver Streaks and let me know how they are. :D

The Heros are really nice.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I got them from Audio Advisor as dcarlson has mentioned. Thanks to Russ for letting me know about Audio Advisor. I've made a couple of purchases from them already and they are highly recommended. they have some killer deals. Thanks Mantis for turning me on to Kimber Kable. I already know they are something special these heros sound so much better on the Studio 40s than what I had before and they aren't even burned in yet. The tonal characteristics are totally different. I never tried the Transparent on the Studio 40s. I actually gave up on these speakers.

I ain't full of BS here guys. I used to be a nonbeliever myself. I am fortunate recently to have come into some green through some stock options sales and I have been splurging a little on the audio stuff. I've got to hand it to Mantis, and I'm not kissing **** here either, he has been right on so far with my system upgrades and what sounds good to me. Kicking it up a notch so to say and maybe some little extra Bam in there too. I've gotten a lot of input from others too... ya'll know who ya'll are...I'm not loyal to my system just because I spent the green on it. Ask my brother TonyPTX how many speakers, receivers, and stuff I've had over the past 10 years never quite being happy .. hit and miss trial and error BS. I've ditched gear in less than 3 months if I am not happy with it.

I've gotten a lot of learn on by reading these forums and what you fellas had to say. I'm really starting to reap the rewards right now as I'm typing this and it will only get better. This is so cool...
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami
    I've got to hand it to Mantis, and I'm not kissing **** here either, he has been right on so far with my system upgrades and what sounds good to me. Kicking it up a notch so to say and maybe some little extra Bam in there too. I've gotten a lot of input from others too... ya'll know who ya'll are

I'll echo this about Dan and also Russman. I have upgraded substantially with hardware and speaker cables and interconnects and harmony and synergy is what I am talking about. Thanks guys.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Doc, I think it is also very obvious that besides Russman and Dan that you are also a very strong anchor in this forum. I will be rereading your subwoofer / bass threads and replies when I am eventually ready for a better sub. I'm not really too big into bass (yet) that will be my next adventure. The PSW 350 fits my needs right now but that's probably because I haven't listened to a better sub like a SVS yet (so I don't really know what I've been missing; but realize I am missing a lot for HT).
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    PJ, welcome to the Hero club. That's one more for the fan club I gather, eh Dan? Once they're burned in they'll be even better.

Are those Studio 40s your mains? I heard the Studio 20s auditioning my Rotel CD and they were impressive for the size. What did you have before for your mains? Why did you choose the Paradigms?

Derick.

• pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Are those Studio 40s your mains? I heard the Studio 20s auditioning my Rotel CD and they were impressive for the size. What did you have before for your mains? Why did you choose the Paradigms?

dcarlson, the Studio 40s were my mains in my two channel rig. I just got the LSi 15s in and setup..I will start another thread on that. I had RT35i speakers for two years as mains in my Home Theater setup. I wanted a bigger sound and something a little more neutral sounding. I was looking to buy the RT55i's but they had stopped making them. I went to Circuit City and saw the RTi70s and listened to them but was unsure with the new tweeter and all. Not that they sounded bad, quite contrarily they sounded pretty good compared to what I had. I wanted to listen to other speakers. I happened to stumble on a used pair of Studio 40s at the Rotel dealer at a substantial discount. Upon listening to these speakers on Rotel gear, I knew I had to take them home. Impulse purchase I presume, but I was getting a great deal on some cherry veneer Studio 40's at a lower cost than what the RTi70's would have cost me. The Studio's didn't have the bass like the RTi70's, but I felt were more musical and had better midrange and slightly more palatable highs for my taste. Then again it could have been the Rotel making them sound that good compared to the receiver being used at CC. Tough to audition and make comparisons here but I went with my gut feel. Well, come to find out after I got LSi 9s a few weeks later that I preferred the sound of the LSi over the Studio and hence my LSi 15 purchase here now. I'm going to be selling the Studio 40's at a very good price.
  • dcarlson
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Cool, there's no Polk Dealer in my City other than FutureShop which is a big box store and don't have LSIs. The shop I deal with has Paradigm, B&W and Martin Logans. That's where my Paradigm question was coming from. When it comes time to buy speakers I'll have to make a trip to Toronto and audition some LSIs.

Derick.

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited July 2003
    Options
    pjdami
    There not Banana ends,there called rca ends.The locking WBT's are truely sweet.I perfer there connection over all I have used in the past.
    The Kimber Hero's are so good.I'm still in awe when I listen to them.I was so suprised how good they are.I talked to Kimber about them and they are the prototype cable to there high end select series.It's a 4 conductor instead of a 3.
    Balanced is always the perferred way to go over single ended due to the uncanny ability to reject noise by design.But KimberKables Reject noise better then most cables on the market due to there design so Balanced isn't THAt Important here.You can get Hero's in Balanced....it's your call.
    The 4tc and 8tc.......use em both here.......why??glad you asked.Use the 4tc for the highs on the Lsi15's and the 8tc on the lows.This you can have built by Kimber.It's called the 4tc/8tc bi wire.You can go 8tc/8tc if you wish.Expensive but well worth it.This is what I'm wiring my theater with,don't ask what II have to pay you might pass out,I almost did.........
    Your also very welcome.Kimber is something special,I only wish I had the chance to try it long ago.O you asked about the 4tc.It's a fantastic sounding wire.It's your call on what you want to use here.The 4tc is no slouch.I suggest the bi wire above.

dcarlson,
    allday my brother allday.

Doc,
    so how are you these days???
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks Mantis for the advice. Yes, I've read about some reviews with the 4TC / 8TC wired just like you say..
    There not Banana ends,there called rca ends.The locking WBT's are truely sweet.I perfer there connection over all I have used in the past.

Shucks, I knew that... I guess in all my excitement I had a brain **** when I went bananas over the Kimber.. RCA RCA.. okay got it straight now..
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    Doc, so how are you these days???

Doing well, still recovering well from surgery, and ready to go back to work next week.

Loving my system and just sitting there enjoying the high res audio discs and appreciating all of the upgrades I made and you steering me in the right direction with matching components. My system REALLY sounds excellent; I'm very happy.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hey Doc,
    Doing well, still recovering well from surgery, and ready to go back to work next week.

Great to hear your recovery is going on well. I vaguely remember back surgery I think? Anyways, good luck to you in your continued full recovery and great to hear about you enjoying your new Denon, new SVS sub, and wire upgrades too.

PJ
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited July 2003
    Options
    pjdami,
    It's all good my man,I know the feeling.

Doc,
    glad to hear.I was wondering about it.
    Yeah it's nice to have a well balanced system.I makes all the difference in the world.......
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.