DVD wiring question

Options
polkseeker
polkseeker Posts: 6
Hello,

I noticed that the cheaper DVD players only have video out (s-video or composite) and left/right audio output and an optical out.

How does this work for a 7.1 or 5.1 surround systems? I noticed that the more expensive players ($800++) actually have a front, left, right, center, rl, rr, and sub output (plus optical).

Does this mean that the lower end players dont really output surround sound???
What is the optical link for? Apparently (I may be mistaken), the normal left right cables still need to be plugged in in addition to the optical.

Thanks
Post edited by polkseeker on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Optical is a digital audio transfer.It sends the audio from a DVD to the receiver.The receiver decodes the signal.It can carry 1 to 7 channels.The analog left and right can be used on older systems that can't decode dolby digital.You will get dolby surround or Prologic this way.Another use for the Analog out is if you wanna use your dvd player as a cd player.You can run the optical for dvd and anaolg for cd to the cd inputs.This gives you the ability to setup your sound fields for each input.

The video section means you do not have a progressive player.If you don't have a digital tv,then theres no use for the component video out anyway.Composite or S-video will do fine.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Polkseeker,

To add on to what Mantis said, some DVD players can also playback DVD audio or SACD audio. That's why they have the analog outputs L, R, C, surrounds on them. Not all DVD players can play DVD audio and / or SACD and likewise not all DVD players have progressive scan.

Paul
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    older dvd players came with 6 RCA analog outputs.. so that you could hook them up to your receiver. and the receiver would decode the signal.. those players also had an optical out, digital coax out, L&R analog stereo outs for audio. On the video side.. they usually had composite, S-video, and component.

most lower end ones today I think usually only come with a L&R and either an optical.. or coax.. usually optical tho. and composite and S-video.. sometimes component video too.

I tend to stay away from those $59 Wal Mart ones. They usually look pretty crappy. You also don't need to spend $1200 to get a good DVD player either. there are good ones in the $200 to $350 range.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • donahue
    donahue Posts: 125
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Mantis,

Is it true that all DVD players can be hooked up both digital and analog? I currently have my DVD player hooked up through digital coax to the receiver. Can I hook up the digital coax for DVD and the analog for CD? My receiver is a NAD T761.

Thanks,

Ray
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited July 2003
    Options
    donahue,
    Yes you can.Hook it up exactly like that.It's what I was saying on my last reply.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The 5.1 outputs on some DVD players are there because some DVD players can decode DD and DTS thus eliminating the need for a seperate surround processor. Other newer, more expensive players can play DVD-A and SACD formats which require the analog outputs to be used for copyright purposes.

The digital coax/optical outs on DVD players carry the entire audio information in an encoded format to the receiver. If you use this option the receiver must be capable of decoding the DD or DTS signal in-order to play the soundtrack.

You can hook your DVD player up to the DVD input on the receiver using the digital out from the DVD player, and then hook up the analog outputs from the DVD player to the CD inputs on the receiver...however some DVD players require you to select the output stream, (analog, PCM...) and might require toggling the DVD players setup menu to change the output when switching from digital to analog outputs...

Hope this clears things up!
    -BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by BeginnersLuck

You can hook your DVD player up to the DVD input on the receiver using the digital out from the DVD player, and then hook up the analog outputs from the DVD player to the CD inputs on the receiver...however some DVD players require you to select the output stream, (analog, PCM...) and might require toggling the DVD players setup menu to change the output when switching from digital to analog outputs...

Hope this clears things up!
    -BL

this is so true. whenever i want to listen to a DVD-audio disc.. i have to go into the DVD players menu and switch it to analog output.. then to the recevier and turn off the digital input and enable the 6 analog inputs. it's a freakin hassle.. but that's what we're stuck with untill they introduce yet another new cable for this and receivers begin using said new connectors. it'll be a while down the road.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • donahue
    donahue Posts: 125
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hi,

Yes it is a hassle. On my DVD player (NAD T571), it forces me into using digital for both CD and DVD. Otherwise, I would have to switch between analog and digital in the DVD setup menu. Manits, does this sound right?

Ray