SACD vs. DVD-audio

Options
Jonathan Ray
Jonathan Ray Posts: 4
edited July 2003 in Electronics
Don't see any threads about SACD or DVD - audio. Not much hype in the media or stores. Any preferences or thoughts about the two formats?
Post edited by Jonathan Ray on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    They both sound great. Many think both are doomed. I hope sure hope not; I really am digging high res audio.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2003
    Options
    They are both great!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I believe they are doomed.They need to step the hellup after 2+years on the market.

The software selection is piss poor.I have had SACD and DVD AUDIO since the first day the Pioneer Elite dv47a hit the market,I own less the 10 disc from both parties........sad but true.

Today it seems to me that people are less concerned about hi fi.If they can here it there cool with it.......MP3 ring a bell???
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Jonathan Ray
    Jonathan Ray Posts: 4
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Agree - even the Sony web site is poor. People who have experience with SACD / DVD - audio it stand behind it. Unfortunately, looks like a format war with Sony holding all the SACD cards and not willing to play unless at their price.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I would agree that they seemed to be doomed. However if one were to succeed, I would bet on SACD. Many of the disks are hybrid that play on both a sacd player and a regular CD player. Sony also has a huge library and can make thier own disks. Still the demand for this has not been high. DVD did not catch on in its first two years but then came christmas and a major jump in sales. Will sacd get that surprize jump in sales this fall? I do not know. I think both hi end audio formats are going to remain with the audiofiles. The masses can not hear the difference. Hey look at MP3.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Options
    It seems that way, but with BB, Tower, Virgin, CC, et. al. had dedicate floor space for these formats, I think the record industry is trying to to make sure that this is not going the divx way. With titles like Pink Floyd-DSOTM and Steely Dan-EMG, I hope consumers appreciate the experience. I don't think it will reach the scale of redbook, in terms of popularity, but it will get there eventually. I think Sony realise that they have to spit out cheap SACD players to make this format mainstream. Time will tell, but I for one, convince that both formats will survive as audiophile gizmo, at the minimum.

MP3 is a format that will become less of significant as the record industry aggressively going after individuals' piracy. It will survive the way cassette tapes go. An alternative to CD. Btw, it is self serving for the record industry to keep SACD and DVD-A alive, since these are formats that (at least for now) piracy-proofed with respect to MP3 illegal ripping and distribution.

personally, I do hope the formats survive!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by jdavy
    I would agree that they seemed to be doomed. However if one were to succeed, I would bet on SACD. Many of the disks are hybrid that play on both a sacd player and a regular CD player.

I have to disagree here. When I go into my local Best Buy.. i find that maybe.. maybe.. a handful of SACD's are hybrid ones. I can tell my the sticker on the front of it. I bought Pink Floyd DSOTM a month ago. while I don't have a SACD player. i didn't find the stereo mix impressive at all. Yes I know. i NEEEEEEEED a SACD Player to bring out the awesome sound on the disc.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I went the route of DVD audio.. a few years ago myself.. only because way back when.. the SACD players were more expensive. I love DVD audio.... the discs can be played on any dvd video player.. which most of us own.. without the need for a seperate player. True.. if you use your dvd video player. you are not getting a true high resolution dvd audio signal.. you are only getttttting the 5.1 DD mix.

I find that SACD's have better titles out there. DVD audio seems to go for the obscure releases sometimes. They are moving more mainstream it seems lately though.

I hope both formats survive too.. or either at this point. LIke i was in the local CC a month ago.. they have both SACD and DVD audio displays set up.. (the DVD audio using Polk speakers even). but both displays were in effect turned off. no interest from the general CC shopping public.

Prices for both SACD and DVD audio players have come way down.. anyone can own a player now.. only problem is.. how does once get exposed to these formats when the displays are TURNED OFF??

that's all. i'm headed out today to peruse the CD players in town.

:p
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited July 2003
    Options
    http://www.sacdinfo.com/

for all the latest info.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Jesse, thanks for the link. I went thru it and realise one thing: the upcoming release of titles include several titles that already out on DTS 5.1. One of them is Steely Dan's Gaucho, which I owned on DTS. Its latest one: Everything Must Go is on DVD-A. So, this will be interesting, as they (the record industry) might not see the demise any of these formats in the forseeable future???
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm with Dan on this, I think they're doom as well. Sale reports are terrible for both products, I never find any store that have 80% of all titles. If you ask, they said "back order" . What is the "BO ****?, "Steve Stevens DVD-A has been back-ordered at BB for over a year and my CC store don't carry any DVD-A and SACD, they still try to recover for DIVX" when you have no intend of order them anyway? Despite the facts that they're going down to the tube, there are number of good discs that I want to own and I will have to find the opportunity to get them before they disappear.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Someone said anyone can afford a player now. I agree that is true but the general price of the non-dvd audio/sacd players has gone way down as well. Ask joe smo and he will tell you he won't pay $175 when he can get one just as good for $68. On the other hand as long as the few of us are willing to pay more for the equipment and media they will keep producing it. Look at LP's. New releases are coming out every month. (too bad more current artists don't demand their work be released on vinyl, sacd or dvd-audio).

Another point as well. I have a friend who would like to release their CD in dvd audio or sacd but all the sources he deals with have no clue who to contact to make it happen. He and I have spent a lot of time looking over the internet but no one seems to offer the services. Sad as it sounds we found multiple places willing to press LP's but no one for the other formats.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • danger boy
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Fleetwood Mac released their latest release (Say you Will) in both Redbook cd and DVD-audio at the same time. The dvd audio release is wonderful to listen to.

I'm sure the DVD audio mix is more expensive to mix and press.. and that's where i would bet a lot of record companies won't invest the extra money needed.. since they know... only a small percentage of people even care about SACD or DVD audio.. so where is the pay off for them? There isn't one.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Madmax,

Talk to this guy......http://www.stevehoffman.tv/.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I know of these guys but I didn't know they dealt with SACD. I'll check it out. I can't imagine Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman hosting an unknown group but you never know. You would get instant popularity for sure. I for one look for any lp's they work on. I guess there is nothing better than going straight to the top.
    Thanks,
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • F1nut
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Another source to try is www.mapleshaderecords.com. ,right here in Maryland. I'm not sure if they are into SACD yet, but I thought I read something that they were going in that direction.

President of Club Polk

• Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Just picked up Donald Fagan Nightfly in DVD-A and Indigo Girls Become You in SACD.

I'm supporting the cause with my wallet - the only way that's ever been proven to work.

Doc

SVS
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Doc,
    you're up for a treat with Fagan! great recording....
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    Doc,
    you're up for a treat with Fagan! great recording....

Just finished it - fabulous. The treble improvement is what I notice the most in high res - so airy, detailed, and natural.

I grew up with Steely Dan. I'm getting Kamkiriad on DVD-A also; it was released last month. Kamakiriad is one of my best sounding CDs, so I'm excited to upgrade.

Doc

SVS
  • Awais yaqub
    Awais yaqub Posts: 26
    edited July 2003
    Options
    In my point off view spend mony but if u can afford dont see any thing which is beyond ur pocket's limit u can find more about SACD
    on
    http://www.sony-ae.com/sacd/sacdmain.htm
    which is very cool web about SACD far better then sony's American website
    Pakistani
  • F1nut
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Awais yaqub,

Excellent, it is better than the US verison. Now if they would just start releasing more software.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

F1

President of Club Polk

• deadhead
    deadhead Posts: 19
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I spent a day researching it and concluded there is some good information on the internet but also much misinformation about the two formats. Many erroneously conclude that SACD has to be better because of its higher advertised sampling rate.

This article seemed pretty good:

http://sound.westhost.com/cd-sacd-dvda.htm

Luckily players that handle both SACD and DVD-a are starting to show up on the market. Maybe there will be several more in time for Xmas.

Choose wisely or you may end up like Al Bundy!
    SVS PB10 ISD . Pioneer VSX-1015K
    Monitor 10B . CS400i . Monitor 10B
    FX500i . . . . . . . . . . . . FX500i
    R15 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . R15