Polk LSi9 issue

Options
kureboy99
kureboy99 Posts: 53
edited July 2003 in Speakers
HI all,

I saw a previous post by organ and have the same issue. It seems that my midrange is comming from my bottom speaker on the left channel and on the right is coming from the top speaker. I heard that the top speaker is supposed to produce the midrange whereas the bottom is supposed to create the lower frequencies mostly.

Organ (hope he responds to this post) said that he opened it up and switched the speakers connected to the crossover to correct the problem. I was just wondering exactly how to do it and if it involves more than just switching connectors...trying to avoid having to send these bad boys back for warranty service. Any advice on how to do this would be greatly appcreciated :)

Rob
...See the Music, Feel the Music, Be the Music...
Post edited by kureboy99 on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Heya Rob,

If your right speaker is firing what you know to be the correct way, then all you should really need to do is unscrew the drivers from the left speaker, and switch the wiring from the top to bottom on the speakers. That should match your speakers up. Pretty easy to do really.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • kureboy99
    kureboy99 Posts: 53
    edited July 2003
    Options
    thanks for the reply...the speaker underwent surgery and came out 100% okay :cool:
    ...See the Music, Feel the Music, Be the Music...
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Rob,
    good to hear your 9 is healthy again! welcome to the club too!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited July 2003
    Options
    wait up here...how can you judge what driver is driving what and if this is so is it possible the speaker was configured to be this way...I mean lets see the proof before we start messing w/ these speakers...how can you tell your ears are not fooling you?

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Dude,
    Put your ear up to it. One woofer will have a major amount of midrange coming out of it, while the other will have alot of bass and slight midrange. :cool:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2003
    Options
    kureboy,
    First of all, welcome! Glad to hear you got everything up and running the way it's supposed to. All I did was switch the wiring. The drivers are identical. I wonder how many more went out with incorrect wiring. It's a shame because the LSi is Polk's top of he line speakers and we expect them to have better quality conrol because they're produced in smaller numbers than the other lines.

Lsi9,
    Just like wat Vr3 said. I put my ear riht up to each driver. Even at the listening spot it was easy to tell because the mids was much stronger to the side of the speaker with proper wiring.

Sid,
    I took a look at your system in the showcase and noticed that you're not using the plastic feet supplied with your 35i's. Using the feet will give you a HUGE improvement in all areas especially image stability and controlled bass. Try it out and let me know.

BTW, you did a great job on your system review. Your knowledge of audio is much higher than anybody else your age. It must be great to have 3 Adcoms powering your rig.

Maurice
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    Sid,
    I took a look at your system in the showcase and noticed that you're not using the plastic feet supplied with your 35i's. Usingthe feet will give you a HUGE improvement in all areas especially image stability and controlled bass. Try it out and let me know.
    BTW, you did a great job on your system review. Your knowledge of audio is much higher than anybody else your age. It must be great to have 3 Adcoms powering your rig.

Maurice

Yeah I am, those rubber feet? Yeah I am using them. You can't really tell by the pic. Yeah the adcoms are awesome, just make the room 10 degrees hotter. Thank ya
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Sean,
    I know it sounds strange. I also thought it wouldn't be that much of a difference. I never thought about using the feet until I read a post by Russman and thought what the hell, I'll give it a try. And the difference I heard was huge, the stands didn't vibrate as much as it did before the feet. I think it depends on what kind of speaker stands you're using or whatever the speakers are sitting on. The reason you didn't hear that much of an improvement IMO, is because you're using those Roman columns. They're very dense and heavy so even without the feet you're getting no resonance transfer to the stands.

Maurice
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Not very many vibrations from the speaker goes to my dresser.
    But my subwoofer vibrates the sheat out of everything around it. Can't stop that! weeeeeeeeeee, I've had the speakers on the rubber feet ever since I have owned them, so I dont know how they would sound without them or not.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited July 2003
    Options
    What feet????You mean carpet spikes?The rt2000ps only came with carpet spikes.You could convert them into rubber feet with the supplied rubber booties.......is that what your talking about?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Mantis...
    Bookshelfs....the adhesive rubber feet