Do you install games to your 360?

SolidSqual
SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
edited November 2010 in Video Games
So do you? Check this out: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6234271.html

I just discovered I could do this! I already notice less fan noise and Black Ops is loading faster.

Very Cool
Post edited by SolidSqual on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,525
    edited November 2010
    I did this with Halo Reach and the campaign loads much quicker for sure.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited November 2010
    I install every game. The only game that doesn't benefit from this is Halo 3, because it was optimized for streaming off the disc before the install to disc feature was available and installing it actually slows the load times WAY down. Other than that, faster load times and less noise from the DVD drive (not the fans) are a GOOD thing.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited November 2010
    How is this done? I can't seem to figure it out.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2010
    I did one game and noticed a big difference in loading time.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2010
    Hawkeye wrote: »
    How is this done? I can't seem to figure it out.

Gordon

Put the game in, scroll to Play Disc on your dashboard, hit Y for options, then pick install to hard drive. Note: You still have to have the disc in to play the game, but when you start it, it will spin the disc just to verify it's in there, then run everything else off the hard drive. This reduces the noise from the DVD drive spinning and the game and individual levels will load much faster.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited November 2010
    I do this to most of my 'current' games, but I find many 'big' games already do a pretty dang good job on optimizing their titles for streaming (as kuntasensei mentioned)... so the speed up may not be noticeable.

But still, I think everyone should do this to their 'current' games (whatever they're currently playing) because:

1. It cuts down on disc drive noises
    2. It speeds up the access time
    3. It should prolong your disc drive's lifetime
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited November 2010
    I really dont notice any noise since I bought the new slim version of the xbox360

Heres the thing about the disk load up .... you still have to pop the game into the hard drive anytime you go to play a game .Whats the point of eating up the hard drive and l;oad times aint that slow to begin with
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2010
    I really dont notice any noise since I bought the new slim version of the xbox360

Heres the thing about the disk load up .... you still have to pop the game into the hard drive anytime you go to play a game .Whats the point of eating up the hard drive and l;oad times aint that slow to begin with

The primary source of noise in the 360 is the DVD drive, even in the 360 Slim. More importantly, DVD drives are more likely to go out from use than the hard drive. Loading the game on the hard drive saves wear and tear on the DVD drive, reduces system noise (and yeah, I don't notice mine either way, but still), and does significantly speed up load times (though we're talking maybe 15 seconds vs. 30 seconds) and reduce the odds of texture pop-in (which you often see in Unreal Engine games) because the hard drive can feed the GPU that data far quicker than the DVD drive.

It isn't necessary... but it's a nice feature. I load all of my games on mine, 'cause why else have a 250gb drive if you're not gonna make use of it?
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited November 2010
    I do and for a lot of the reasons already stated; Cut down load times, noise, and wear and tear on the DVD drive.

I don't find putting the game disc in (to play a game that's been copied to) the HDD an inconvenience--If that's too much work then I shouldn't be playing games and perhaps get out and do some more exercise.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • Snowdogyyz
    Snowdogyyz Posts: 37
    edited November 2010
    I do. The slim has plenty of drive space, so why not speed things up and quiet things down a bit?
    Denon 4311CI
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Oppo BDP-83
    Polk RTiA7 fronts
    Polk CSiA6 center
    Polk FXiA6 surrounds
    Polk PSW505 sub

Harman Kardon HK3490
    Monitor 70
  • SniperREX
    SniperREX Posts: 930
    edited November 2010
    I install every game. The only game that doesn't benefit from this is Halo 3, because it was optimized for streaming off the disc before the install to disc feature was available and installing it actually slows the load times WAY down. Other than that, faster load times and less noise from the DVD drive (not the fans) are a GOOD thing.

Another game is Crackdown. If I remember correctly, you can't even install that game.

I got a 360 Elite MW2 with the 250GB, so I install every game that I even remotely think to play. In fact, my HDD is usually 90% full :biggrin:

TVs: Samsung S95B 65" QD-OLED (den) and LG C2 42" OLED (office)
    Receiver: Denon AVR-X3700H (den) and Denon AVR-X2300W (den)
    SACD and DVD-A player: Oppo BDP-83
    Mains: Polk RTi8 (den) and Dali Ikon 8 (office)
    Center: Polk CSi5 (den) and Polk CSi3 (office)
    Surrounds: Polk FXi5 (den) and Velodyne surrounds (office)
    Sub: SVS PB-2000 (den) and PCi 16-46 (office)
  • SniperREX
    SniperREX Posts: 930
    edited November 2010

The disc has to be in the tray as an anti-piracy measure.

TVs: Samsung S95B 65" QD-OLED (den) and LG C2 42" OLED (office)
    Receiver: Denon AVR-X3700H (den) and Denon AVR-X2300W (den)
    SACD and DVD-A player: Oppo BDP-83
    Mains: Polk RTi8 (den) and Dali Ikon 8 (office)
    Center: Polk CSi5 (den) and Polk CSi3 (office)
    Surrounds: Polk FXi5 (den) and Velodyne surrounds (office)
    Sub: SVS PB-2000 (den) and PCi 16-46 (office)
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited November 2010
    I have a 120GB Elite in the bedroom and a 250GB Halo Xbox S in the living room which I install my games onto both.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection