PS3, Xbox, or Wii

Options

Comments

• cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Who knows what the final version of the FPS games will be like or if they'll live up to expectations, but here's one reviewer's take on it:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1096893p1.html
    I popped out of cover, and in the tiny gap between the frame of a far-off car and the road, I could see the ankles of an enemy. In a snap, I pointed the Move and took my shot. It was simple, easy and fast.

This is what I wanted Resident Evil 4 on the Wii to be. It's quick and precise. It feels like a real control scheme and not a gimmick...

...the fact remains that SOCOM 4 at E3 showed me how cool a "hardcore" game with the Move could be. You can sit on your couch and relax while playing this one and not have to wag your hand to throw a grenade or pump your arms to run. The Move stuff is there -- from what I've seen -- just to aid your aiming and to make you feel like the gun is in your hands. That's how it should be.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Oh, I never said you won't have those games... but the vast majority will still not have motion controls because it isn't financially feasible. Without some consistency between the three, you can't expect a developer to focus on one platform that way for the big marquee titles. They'll do what they've always done - make the game they want to make, then port it like mad to make more money. Any motion controls will be an afterthought, at best, even if they work well like Move does.

Move is very cool tech though. So is Kinect. But I don't think either of them will be the sea change Sony and Microsoft seem to think they will. As cool as they both are, they're still solutions to problems that didn't really exist for hardcore gamers, because that audience is perfectly fine with existing control methods. Not doggin' on any of the motion control technology here. Just saying that I think it shouldn't significantly weight your decision of which current-gen console to buy.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited November 2010
    Options
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Thanks Guys, I'm going shopping to Walmart later to see what I like and don't like.
    Earthy wrote: »
    +1 the Best Buy. Wall wart never seems to have them hooked up correctly.
    You'd probably have a much better experience of testing them out at best Buy. They'll have everything hooked up correctly, and my local Best Buy already has the Move and Kinext hooked up so you can test those out as well.

+1 to the above. I was at Best Buy yesterday and was able to checkout a nice demo setup of both the PS3 Move and the Xbox360 Kinect. I was at Walmart earlier today and nothing (outside of their normal demo system).

Personally I am going to get the Kinect since I already have a investment in the 360, but I am skeptical of the Kinect as a controller--I like the PS3 method better--just seems to be less prone to error--Of course this is all just my unresearched guess--I have no first hand experience yet (outside of a 5 minute demo) as to which system will be better (or maybe both will succeed).

Actually I'm going to get a new bundle-not just the Kinext add-on. I like the idea of having one of the newer 360 designs which draw less power, run cooler and run quieter as well. I need a second console anyway so I don't have to keep moving the main console around for the kids.

I always had the Wii on my list of fun things to get, but now that the Kinect is a reality--I see no reason to go Wii, except that it already has an established game line-up--Hopefully Sony and MS will ensure that there is a healthy quantity of games to take advantage of the new controller methods. I see they already have a fun kids game, a sports variety and some excercise games as well. Games with support for the camera and the steering wheel with the 360 was a disappointment.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • mmadden28
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Oh, I never said you won't have those games... but the vast majority will still not have motion controls because it isn't financially feasible. Without some consistency between the three, you can't expect a developer to focus on one platform that way for the big marquee titles. They'll do what they've always done - make the game they want to make, then port it like mad to make more money. Any motion controls will be an afterthought, at best, even if they work well like Move does.

Move is very cool tech though. So is Kinect. But I don't think either of them will be the sea change Sony and Microsoft seem to think they will. As cool as they both are, they're still solutions to problems that didn't really exist for hardcore gamers, because that audience is perfectly fine with existing control methods. Not doggin' on any of the motion control technology here. Just saying that I think it shouldn't significantly weight your decision of which current-gen console to buy.

I agree, unfortunately.
    I always remember ages ago in the arcade, there was a game where you were on a SWAT team or something and you had to duck behind objects to take cover, but you had to really do it physically--you had a plastic gun to use to shoot with (the old light gun detection method--anybody remember Duck Hunt :) ) but all your movements were based on how you moved on the pressure sensitive mat and some form of cameras i the frames around you while you watched on a small projection screen (it had a big footprint but was quite immersive)--I thought that was awesome and a sign of things to come.

Granted this was back near the end of the hayday of the arcade phenom--and it never really panned out for home console gaming--maybe now that kind of game will come back to fruition. I can see some structural firefighting games too, like the one they have at Chucky Cheese, and such.

Who knows at this point. Now that all 3 big consoles are in the motion controller game....

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I'd stay away from the 4GB model.
    Hmmmm, why?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Earthy
    Earthy Posts: 488
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Its more for the online arcade games and stuff. No internal storage to speak of or just enough to save game data.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
    Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Polk Audio LS70, CS350LS, LSF/X, S4
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• mmadden28
    edited November 2010
    Options

I'd stay away from the 4GB model.
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, why?

Too inconvenient (have to use memory cards)--Minimal storage space for demos or lots of game data--Some games require a HDD. Not sure but probably require a HDD for Netflix and such. It's really only meant for the very casual gamer.

• bopicasso
    bopicasso Posts: 878
    edited November 2010
    Options
    +1 for playstation, use mine for a media server, gaming, bluray player, and sometimes web browsing. Best investment I have made. Its almost 3 years old and running strong.
    Living Room setup: Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, Krell KAV 300i, PS Audio DL III DAC, Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7u, Dynaudio Audience 120C+, SVS 25/31PCI, B-P-T Clean Power Center, Ps3, Panny 50" S1 Plasma, Tekline speaker cables, Audio Art interconnects, and Pangea power cables.
  • cheddar
    edited November 2010
    Options
    As cool as they both are, they're still solutions to problems that didn't really exist for hardcore gamers, because that audience is perfectly fine with existing control methods. Not doggin' on any of the motion control technology here. Just saying that I think it shouldn't significantly weight your decision of which current-gen console to buy.

I think this is where we disagree. I think hardcore gamers have always had a problem with console games if you like RTS or mouse sensitive control of FPS games. The game pad has never been able to replace keyboard/mouse control for RTS type games and maybe that's why many of these games stay with the PC. And precise aiming in FPS games is difficult flipping a thumbstick.

The move is the first console control option I've used that comes close to the kind of precision you can get with a mouse. And IMO, it will definitely have appeal to many hardcore gamers if they can get the implementation right in games. It's a big if since several of the games I've mentioned won't be released until 2011. But if mouse level precision is important to someone's gaming, then the move's potential should definitely be weighed in their decision when thinking about consoles. IMO.
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2010
    Options
    cheddar wrote: »
    I think this is where we disagree. I think hardcore gamers have always had a problem with console games if you like RTS or mouse sensitive control of FPS games. The game pad has never been able to replace keyboard/mouse control for RTS type games and maybe that's why many of these games stay with the PC. And precise aiming in FPS games is difficult flipping a thumbstick.

The move is the first console control option I've used that comes close to the kind of precision you can get with a mouse. And IMO, it will definitely have appeal to many hardcore gamers if they can get the implementation right in games. It's a big if since several of the games I've mentioned won't be released until 2011. But if mouse level precision is important to someone's gaming, then the move's potential should definitely be weighed in their decision when thinking about consoles. IMO.
    Understood... but IMO, RTS games should always be played on the PC anyway. And the millions of CoD players would disagree about the whole gamepad thing - it's apparently good enough (and that's coming from someone who used to be die-hard mouse and keys back in the Quake Arena days). ;)

As far as Move goes, so long as the game has to be made for both gamepad and Move, the control will be gimped so as to prevent an unfair advantage. Same thing as when Microsoft tried to do cross-platform gaming between the 360 and PC... 'cause the PC users will walk all up and down your **** with mouse and keyboard. Unless Move becomes a major sell (and so far it hasn't - only 1 million units sold, which Kinect beat on day one), I don't expect to see that become dominant. I'm sure they'll implement it in games they're designing for the gamepad... but that's exactly the problem. Without it being the dominant controller, Move support will always be an afterthought in this generation. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see that as the standard in the NEXT generation, at which point games will all be designed that way out of the box. That's why I say that none of this really matters RIGHT NOW. On the 360 and PS3, both Kinect and Move are stopgap solutions, whereas the Wii standardized their motion control from day one.

Lots of good info in this thread. But ultimately, try 'em all... pick one... game on. :biggrin:
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • cheddar
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You might be overthinking this issue. I certainly don't believe that this is the only thing to consider when making a console purchase. Or that motion control is the magic ticket for dominating this or that.

But I do think that the move controller is unique among the three motion control solutions in bridging the gap between gamepad and mouse control. And it has the potential to make games less about learning how to shoot best with thumb sticks, and more about just pointing a gun at the screen and shooting something. And I think it's cool that there's now an option that appears to be popping up in games on the ps3.

RUSE is cross platform and fun. Maybe you don't think being an RTS it should be played on consoles for whatever reason. And maybe you think they should have gimped the move controls or eliminated them altogether to save whatever development costs were associated with it. I'm happy they didn't, because I've just been having a lot of fun playing it. The first console RTS I've played where the control system faded as an issue and I could just enjoy the game. Same for time crisis. Great fun and simple, point and shoot.

Maybe for 7 out of 10 hard core gamers this isn't important enough to pursuade them for or against a purchase. But I just think that saying it shouldn't be given much weight until the next gen is a little over the top considering how many wiis moved off the shelves with a much more limited system. It works, it's fun, games are out now, with some of the more ambitious ones yet to come. And if well implemented, there's no reason it shouldn't work well for improving hard core games including the first person shooters already planned for the ps3 that include it.
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I think you're overthinking this issue... 'cause my point was made like several posts ago. ;)
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2010
    Options
    CHEDDAR APPEARS COURTESY OF:

sony_computer_entertainment_logo_091208.gifplaystation_network_logo.jpg
  • Earthy
    Earthy Posts: 488
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Another plug for the PS3. We have had one that gets daily use for over 3 years. I have two good friends with 360's that have each had at least two of the dreaded red ring of death and had to send them in. I have no idea if the current crop are more reliable.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
    Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Polk Audio LS70, CS350LS, LSF/X, S4
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• cheddar
    edited November 2010
    Options
    CHEDDAR APPEARS COURTESY OF:

Enjoy your 360 Demi. It's a great console with a fantastic online community.
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Another plug for the PS3. We have had one that gets daily use for over 3 years. I have two good friends with 360's that have each had at least two of the dreaded red ring of death and had to send them in. I have no idea if the current crop are more reliable.

By way of full disclosure, I'm on my 14th 360 since launch (which is a long sordid tale, and not all red rings - one was in a fire in a UPS truck). But the new ones are rock solid, so no worries. (And before anyone says it, YES, I am crazy for sticking with them.) :biggrin:
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I'm on my 14th 360 since launch
    HOLY $%^&!! and I thought my head was full of water for being on my 4th. hahaha....you reign champion in my book!:biggrin:
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • cheddar
    edited November 2010
    Options
    By way of full disclosure, I'm on my 14th 360 since launch (which is a long sordid tale, and not all red rings - one was in a fire in a UPS truck). But the new ones are rock solid, so no worries. (And before anyone says it, YES, I am crazy for sticking with them.) :biggrin:

Do you at least have one of the new ones? They should have shipped you one for free by now :eek:!
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2010
    Options
    cheddar wrote: »
    Do you at least have one of the new ones? They should have shipped you one for free by now :eek:!

Yeah, I have a 360 S now. I did have a hell of a track record with them though. Had one refurb killed the day I got it by a faulty fall update, had one go through a UPS truck fire on the way to my town, had one arrive with a bad GPU, bought a Core system after being without my system for 5 weeks, Microsoft lost my return for a few weeks and Major Nelson had to help straighten it out. It has been an interesting ride. But still, I love playing on the thing... and my Jasper and my 360 S have been rock solid at least, so I think they've moved past their hardware issues.

Plus, they threw me a free year of Live and a game or two for all the crap I went through. At least there was that. Heh...
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited November 2010
    Options

I guess I'm lucky to only be on my second 360, but I wouldn't care how well the ps3 holds up I'll never get it. I've owned both ps1 and ps2 and with exception of a few games here and there, it was never played and a complete waste of money. Xbox (and nintendo though I don't have a wii) have "funner" games to play. And also the fact I hated the ps controller since it came out 15 years ago
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I think you inadvertently brought up a good point. I think one's preference is greatly swayed by the controller. I've never liked the Xbox controller. It reminds me too much of that hambone that was the Sega Genesis controller.

I find the Sony controller to be sleek, ergonomic and sexy. It makes me breakfast every morning, let's me hang out with my friends and knows when to keep its mouth shut. Therefore, I love my PS3.

On the other hand, Microsoft drinks way too much, has a rather intriguing rash that won't go away and insists we both attend the 7AM service every Sunday morning. Screw that noise.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Current Xbox 360s have fixed the RROD issue. Also most older 360's dont have this problem. I own a Halo 3 limited edition Xbox 360 that has been used daily for years and never once got the RROD.

I also purchased a arcade recently that is of the older type and have had no issues.

Regardless of what you choose just give the console some breathing room and you should be fine.

My vote is Xbox 360 but its skewed because I have a HTPC (running Windows 7 w/ dual HDTV tuner), Zune, Windows 7 PC and laptop and love the way all of those products work together for both video and also music.

It allows me to play my favorite songs from any of those devices and make changes to the ratings which are reflected in the other devices. Helps me continually manage my playlists.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2010
    Options
    On the RROD issue, I had a co-worker state he fixes these as the problem is a heat sink the falls off and or another chip which needs a heat sink. So this doesn't scare me off any.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• EndersShadow
    edited November 2010
    Options
    On the RROD issue, I had a co-worker state he fixes these as the problem is a heat sink the falls off and or another chip which needs a heat sink. So this doesn't scare me off any.

Yeah, its got to do with the soder used for the fan. It comes off and the fan no longer runs, or is registered by the 360. It heats up as a result and turns off.

But the Slim X360 you would get doesnt have that problem since the CPU & GPU are on the same chip and it has a much lower TDP that the original which means it has more headroom to run hotter and not shut down.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2010
    Options
    It's not the solder for the fan. It's the solder that connects the CPU and GPU to the mainboard. The x-clamp that holds the fan on exerts pressure on the mainboard, which can cause it to warp with heat, with can then weaken the solder joints that connect the CPU and GPU. That's why people have had luck with re-melting the solder with a heat gun and replacing the x-clamp. Thank God they finally fixed that problem with the Jasper chipset and the new 360 Slim.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • cheddar
    edited November 2010
    Options

Unless you're buying used, the RROD details are probably irrelevant anyways. From what I've read, the new ones don't even have a red ring anymore. Unless you start hearing about a red dot of death, I wouldn't consider it a problem.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I'm now an owner of XBox Halo Reach, using a HDMI 1080i I was floored by the graphics of this game console.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• EndersShadow
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I'm now an owner of XBox Halo Reach, using a HDMI 1080i I was floored by the graphics of this game console.

I'm JEALOUS!

I wanted to buy the Reach X360 myself but couldnt justify the 400 dollar price tag. As a MASSIVE halo fan I almost did just because though...

Enjoy!
  • cheddar
    edited November 2010
    Options

Congrats! If you've never gamed on the current generation of consoles, the graphics really are stellar. But you should also hook it up to surround sound if you can. It's best integrated into a HT system for the full 'immersion'.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Oh it was DD5.1 for sure, that was nice but the video just blow me away.

BTW N wifi does that really work? I have 2 networks in my house goofy8 and goofy8-5G but can't see the 5G network?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer