Getting rid of a mouse in the home?

Options
TECHNOKID
TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
edited November 2010 in The Clubhouse
Last winter, I found and killed a mouse in the house and did not have any problem until now.

This evening while I was cleaning in the kitchen I noticed a running mouse on my counter but could not kill it. I don't know where it went but I know it is still somewhere in the house.

I never had any such problems for the 20 years I own the house until last winter. How can I get rid of that once for all withouth the services of an exterminator? Are repulsive sonic frequecy gadgets efficient or is it a must to use poison?

Thank you in advance for any help!
TK
DARE TO SOAR:
“Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
Post edited by TECHNOKID on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Anytime we had a problem in my Moms house we used Mouse straps that are just sticky...

They release an odor that attracts the mouse and the mouse sticks to them.

No blood, no guts, easy and simple.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorourke07
    dorourke07 Posts: 298
    edited October 2010
    Options
    A hunk of peanut butter in the center of the sticky trap works really well.
    Mains - LSi9's
    Center - LSiC
    Surround - pair of TL3's
    Amplification - Parasound 2125
    AVR - Onkyo 706
    CD/SACD - Onkyo DV-SP506
    SUB - MartinLogan Abyss
    55" Panasonic Viera TC-P55GT30 3D
    Bluray - DMP-BDT310 Panasonic
  • fatpiggy
    fatpiggy Posts: 205
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Go to the pound RSPCA and ask if you can borrow a cat for a week or so.Who know you might like the cat, great pets.Get a fix male they make good rat catchers.We have 3 boy cats around the farm they catch all the rats.

Fat piggy
  • TECHNOKID
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Anytime we had a problem in my Moms house we used Mouse straps that are just sticky...

They release an odor that attracts the mouse and the mouse sticks to them.

No blood, no guts, easy and simple.
    I was trying to avoid mouse traps but if that is a necessity, I'll look into this.
    fatpiggy wrote: »
    Go to the pound RSPCA and ask if you can borrow a cat for a week or so.Who know you might like the cat, great pets.Get a fix male they make good rat catchers.We have 3 boy cats around the farm they catch all the rats.

Fat piggy
    Now, I don't want to trade a problem for another :wink: I can't really stand cats, I had a very bad experience with one, I had to give it away. That stupid cat would destroy my curtains, it also climbed on my speaker cloth face plate, it jumped on my face while I was sleeping. I also read many cats don't even bother the mice.

My worry is infestation. Is finding a mouse something isolated or is their a nest somewhere? I heard cases of people having to replace their insulation. Any input advice on this?
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited October 2010
    Options
    dorourke07 wrote: »
    A hunk of peanut butter in the center of the sticky trap works really well.

This or start charging them rent.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well, if you don't like cats you could always get a snake :tongue:
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • Outfitter03
    Outfitter03 Posts: 563
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Mice coming inside during the fall is a normal occurrence where I live. They can get through amazingly small holes. If you let one stay, then there are two and soon whole families.

Personally I believe that regular mouse traps are the safest and most humane way of dispatching mice. 90% of the time a well set trap will do it's thing to the little guy in less than one minute. Death by the poison is the most disgusting and they will smell if not found and the sticky traps are pure torture also.

So Man up and set a trap or two. Use peanut butter on the trigger even if they are the scented/pre-baited type. Best setting locations are back and in dark places. Such as sliding trap alongside refrigerator, back about 1 foot. A yardstick makes a handy tool to both slowly place the trap and retrieve it.

Germs on mice are real, best to wear latex or urethane disposable gloves to dispose. Generally I just toss the trap as they are about $0.50 apiece.

Good Hunting!
  • fatpiggy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    If you dont like cats get a snake, they eat mice.I nice big python thier not posionous .Snakes only need one mouse a week to survive.Scare all the neighbours, really cool.

I have huge big lizards that tear the iron roof off the chicken house and go and steal a chicken big mean muthers and very fast.They see me with the shot gun and they run like their tails are on fire.

I caught one stealing eggs that the chickens had layed in the machinary shed, scared the daylights out of me, man that lizard was huge at least 6 feet long.Like a real sceen out of durasik park.

Fat piggy
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I do think those ultasonic pest things work wonders. But I'm all in for a cat, doesn't have to be an indoor cat either.

Steve

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I had 2 mice that would not fall for the trap, so I got a kitten. While she is a good cat, at that stage she just wasn't into catching mice.

The funny part is I caught both myself in the same way. I have a small plastic trash can in my office/den/library, and, for whatever reason, both of those dumba$$es got into it, but not at the same time. I would be sitting in my chair reading, and then start hearing a rustling in the trash can. Bingo! Magazine over the top, out to the trash, and into the big can.

I should have had them mounted. ;)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • fatpiggy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    When we get rat plauges, we use buck traps.A pece of food is placed on the trap door on top of the bucket the rat walk up the ramps going to the top of the bucket walks out on to the trap and the trap door opens and the rat fall down into the bucket.the trap door has a counter levered weight that resets the trap door.These buckets are the size of a 44 gallon drum. In one night we caught over 900 rats, all died from fighting each other to get out of the drum.

To get rid of them you make a big fire and have a rat bar be que.I dont like rats.

Fat piggy
  • messiah
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Cats don't catch mice because they're hunting, they catch them because they're playing with them. It really only works if they still have their claws. The mice either bleed to death, or have a heart attack, and the cats don't eat them. If you get the right size shot for your shotgun, you can actually vaporize them.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Since your in the PQ an order of Poutine laced with Warfin should do the trick.
  • fatpiggy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    My cats eat rats.Nothing better than hearing the skull of a rat crunch when one of my cats eats a rat.The only thing they leave behind is the intestines and stomach sometimes the tail.But they eat the lot fur and all.Then about 3 hours later they coff up all the fur and leave a nice rat fur ball lying around some where.

Our cats like to bring home the rats live and they will sit at the door with the rat.They think they are bringing home food for the family.Usually I just give the cat a good boy and a pat and tell him to eat his rat.And he does.

Cats a great animals

Fat piggy
  • TECHNOKID
    edited October 2010
    Options
    This or start charging them rent.
    Good idea, save the money for upgrades :wink:
    messiah wrote: »
    Well, if you don't like cats you could always get a snake :tongue:
    I,d probably prefer that :biggrin:
    Mice coming inside during the fall is a normal occurrence where I live. They can get through amazingly small holes. If you let one stay, then there are two and soon whole families.

Personally I believe that regular mouse traps are the safest and most humane way of dispatching mice. 90% of the time a well set trap will do it's thing to the little guy in less than one minute. Death by the poison is the most disgusting and they will smell if not found and the sticky traps are pure torture also.

So Man up and set a trap or two. Use peanut butter on the trigger even if they are the scented/pre-baited type. Best setting locations are back and in dark places. Such as sliding trap alongside refrigerator, back about 1 foot. A yardstick makes a handy tool to both slowly place the trap and retrieve it.

Germs on mice are real, best to wear latex or urethane disposable gloves to dispose. Generally I just toss the trap as they are about $0.50 apiece.

Good Hunting!
    Great pointers. I'll be shopping tomorrow I guess.
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    I do think those ultasonic pest things work wonders. But I'm all in for a cat, doesn't have to be an indoor cat either.

Steve
    I'll use the ultransonic too, I think it is worth the expense just to see if it works. However, I was searching online and it is confusing. Some vender claims a frequency while other have different frequency claim. It seems like different frequency will be used for different type of pest so which frequency would be most efficient for mice?

Keep the advice coming, I need to clear this ASAP and will use a combination of anything that makes sense however, the cat is out of question. I can't stand cat and I don't believe in slavery :wink: I prefer cats go to a good home which imne is not.
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You can always blast the stereo to some Black Eyed Peas or something else that others would consider to be music. Hopefully that'll drive it away! :tongue:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • Lost
    Lost Posts: 48
    edited October 2010
    Options
    These are the ones I use, have had very good luck with them. Theres a hole in the bottom of the trap that you put peanut butter in.

http://www.d-conproducts.com/traps/nvnt.html
  • fatpiggy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Do you like dogs, their is actually a small dog called a Jack Russell which is a rat dog.small yappy things the girls like them cause thier small and cute and you can put them in your jacket pocket.

fat oiggy
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I think your neighbor need's an outdoor cat... ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• TECHNOKID
    edited October 2010
    Options
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    You can always blast the stereo to some Black Eyed Peas or something else that others would consider to be music. Hopefully that'll drive it away! :tongue:
    I was thinking of that, If I knew the right frequency to use I would blast the mouse away, might as well put the system to good use :biggrin:
    Lost wrote: »
    These are the ones I use, have had very good luck with them. Theres a hole in the bottom of the trap that you put peanut butter in.

http://www.d-conproducts.com/traps/nvnt.html
    Noted, I'll check for them tomorrow.
    fatpiggy wrote: »
    Do you like dogs, their is actually a small dog called a Jack Russell which is a rat dog.small yappy things the girls like them cause thier small and cute and you can put them in your jacket pocket.

fat oiggy
    Never really been attracted to small barking dogs but I have to admit this dog is really cute :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgEOG5JVZp4
    If you have a mouse or rat problem then the Jack Russell Terrier is the dog for you. They love to catch mice and rats and if you are allergic to cats and are not allergic to dogs the Jack Russell Terrier might be the answer for you.
    I thought dogs would be useless for chasing mouse but I guess I was wrong.
    But a Jack Russell Terrier does not do well alone so if you are gone from home a lot a Jack Russell Terrier is not the kind of dog for you.
    This is an issue as I live alone. I was thinking of adopting another dog (had some in the past but not for a few years) but I think leaving the dog alone home is somewhat cruel.

Maybe I could get a pair of them so they could keep each other company when I'm away :wink: (However, not really looking forward to cleaning after dogs, I had my share of kids and dogs to look after ;))

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/132409/jack_russell_terriers_are_great_family.html
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • fatpiggy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    One of our rat cacthers
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited October 2010
    Options

Good Hunting!

Yep, the tried and true mouse trap is the best way to kill a mouse unless you have a cat. One slight correction, the trap breaks their neck, death is instant.
    Cats don't catch mice because they're hunting, they catch them because they're playing with them. It really only works if they still have their claws. The mice either bleed to death, or have a heart attack, and the cats don't eat them.

That's not quite right. Most cats hunt, kill and eat mice. The ones they don't eat have something wrong (probably disease) that the cat can sense and therefore will not eat. Cats are extremely smart.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• fatpiggy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    This is our youngest rat catcher Jasper, he also thinks hes a chicken,as he like to watch the chooks, he dosnt chase or eat them. A strange cat.Have caught eating the occassional rabbit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Have caught eating the occassional rabbit.

Yep, my cat will kill and eat mice, bird, rabbit, chipmunk, snake and praying mantis. Never had rats, so I can't say.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• fatpiggy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The cats make me feel sick when they eat the large cockroaches we have here.But they seem to enjoy them.The first cat Thomas he dosnt like prey mantisis, they are too agreesive for him.He tried to eat one but the skites on its legs kept stabbing him so he just stayed away from it.Mind you though he had pull most of its legs off.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited October 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yep, my cat will kill and eat mice, bird, rabbit, chipmunk, snake and praying mantis. Never had rats, so I can't say.
    I could picture a large snake eating a cat but never pictured a cat eating even the smallest snake however, cats are indeed hunter afterall and will chase just about everything that moves
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • fatpiggy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I dont know what it is about cats they seem to know if a snake is dangerous or not.They will go the green tree snakes we have around here but they keep a wide berth of anything that posioninous.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Anyone familiar with this and would recommend it or not?

http://www.getridofbugs.com/

I have noticed there are many proud cat(s) owner on this site and often threads like this will prompt owners to to withness their attachments and affection to the beasts :cool:
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • BuckeyeTim
    BuckeyeTim Posts: 483
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Go for the trap and be done with it. If you can't deal with killing a live mouse then go for the spring trap. You catch it with the sticky trap and you are going to have to kill it on your own. They just get stuck to the sticky kind and are still alive.

You don't need an exterminator...just a few traps. An exterminator is only going to set traps which you can do yourself. Just throw the entire trap in garbage when you catch it.

One thing you need to think about though is how the mouse got in to begin with. If one got in, others can too.
  • messiah
    edited October 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's not quite right. Most cats hunt, kill and eat mice. The ones they don't eat have something wrong (probably disease) that the cat can sense and therefore will not eat. Cats are extremely smart.

I'm just going on what I've seen. I've only had indoor cats, and when my friends outdoor cat caught a mouse he just played with it, and when it was dead he lost interest and left it there. Maybe most cats do eat 'em. Either way the mice are dead :biggrin: