Review of LSi9 on Stereophile July/August 2003 - Anybody ?

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited August 2003 in Speakers
Anybody has read this and willing to share the highlights/verdicts? thanks..
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    This is going to be an interesting read Polkatese. They reviewed the LSi 7 back in March, 2003 and it got a great review. I would imagine the LSi 9 would do a little better.

I signed up for a free trial subscription to Stereophile last night. Then when you get the trial magazine you can send a post card back saying no thanks to a one year subscription for $12 or get that great rate for one year.

I think I'm going to try it out.

If I get a chance, I'll pass by the store and pick up the Aug. copy and report back.

Paul
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    thanks, Paul! it would be an interesting read indeed. I am hoping that Polk has obtained an advance copy and post the article on their website, but can't find it. Do let us know if you decide to get a copy.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Is this issue officially out now ? I can only find last months(July) on store shelves.

Btw, I read the mag. from www.guidetohometheater.com and it has an interesting review on Lsi9's all around for 5.1 mulit-channel music. Unfortunalely it's not online. If I see it again I'll pick it up and report on it......
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • begbie
    edited July 2003
    Options
    whoops ? www.guidetohometheater.com is also run by www.stereophile.com . Are they both the same Lsi9 reviews we're talking here ? :confused:
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    begbie,
    good question, I think you are right, it is the same article that you have read. Looks like the review is on Stereophile Guide to Hometheater, July/August 2003 (vol 9. no 6) (that's may be where the confusion lies) my mistake...

so, what's the article about? multichannels with all 9s? any chance of scanning it in? or give us a highlight, perhaps? thanks...
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I stopped by the bookstore. No August '03 Stereophile on the rack. I picked up the July '03 copy. It's been a long time since I purchased a Stereophile magazine. Enought stuff in there to make one drool ... (maybe that's why I haven't been buying it).

Begbie let us know of any highlights that you read.

Paul
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'll be looking for this one........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • begbie
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I actually saw this issue about a month ago so it might it hard to find now.

Didn't pick it up after already buying 3 other issues on the Lsi reviews with it being no later than a month - posted on the net ! :( Oh well.....

Can't quite remember the article just along the lines of the reviewer hearing a demo at some expo and wanted to try the Lsi9's in mulit-channel - even for the center speaker. Positive results with little trade offs but a best bang for the buck for his conclusion.....
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    begbie,
    thanks for the update, I might see if I can pick up this copy, then..
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I picked up the copy today.I read it and was slightly dissapointed.I thought it would have been slightly different.

I don't know why Polk doesn't have out there new subwoffer yeat.They sent 5 Lsi9's for review....cool and true to the HT world but really no one does that and I didn't know you could buy 1 Lsi9.They love to send the ash **** black and again it gets beat as a grey unmatching color..I don't like it.They need to change that suck **** color and get some maple,walnut,and a nicer color of ebony/black
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • begbie
    edited July 2003
    Options
    What the heck. So I decided to pick it up as well too.

The review seemed to be a mixed one . He echoed what members find with the Lsi9's - as being extemely directional .

When I slouched down into my listening chair, the Lsi9's were less than average in their vertical presentation, with no sense of developed height beyond that of provided stands. Forcing myself upright until my ears were at or slightly above the tweeters' axes did a world of good for the Polks' vertical and horizontal imaging, and ameliorated some lower midrange emphasis that had manifested as heaviness in vocal passages.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    interesting read! sounds like it's not completely "real-life" setup. Five 9's would be heaven for SACD/DVD-A setup, and add a decent sub to it,whoa...have anybody tried a 9 for the center? that would be the wild card.
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Did they mention anything about speaker break-in during the review?
  • begbie
    edited July 2003
    Options
    pjdami,

The review mentions Polk sending 3 boxed pairs of Lsi9's and of one pair that was substanially broken in. He then spent 2 months breaking the speakers in. One pair was damaged during shipping but it was immediately replaced.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2003
    Options
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • polkatese
    edited August 2003
    Options
    thank you, shack!
  • pjdami
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the link shack.

Interesting thing about that review for me is that I also find that the LSi 9 has a "threshold" volume that must be attained in order for them to really sparkle and come to life. Then again he is comparing to Martin Logans and Thiels which isn't really fair at those price ranges.

Also interesting was the preamps/amps used Krell and Outlaw as well as the interconnects and speaker wire. Nice gear but its Stereophile and I wouldn't expect anything less.

I wonder if it must really torture these guys to listen to something like the LSi 9 when just yesterday one may have been listening and reviewing Martin Logans, Thiels, Triangle, Soliloquy, Spendor and a host of other high end speakers. What a job!

Paul
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I've noticed that too....the 9's and to a lesser extent (lower volume) have a point where they come to life. One of the things that I like about the B&W's is that they retain the same characteristics from a whisper to as loud as you can get them.

Actually, I don't think that a direct comparison to the Thiel 1.6's is a totally unfair comparison as far as price and market segment but more as a bookshelf/floorstander as I think a 1.6/LSi15 comparison would be more appropriate.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    Options
    1.6 is a two-way, small floorstander.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.