I felt I had to comment

13»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    Steve,
    No, actually, I am not looking at it from a biased point of view. You responded to a post that I made that was not directed towards you. The post that got your feathers ruffled was directed towards the Polk people who were coming off as being "too good for trucks". Your response was that the sport compact market was not a bunch of "ricers" and that it wasn't a fad. To which I AGREED and then offered an explanation behind my statements.

If I approached it in a gruff manner and hurt your feelings, TFB, I don't care. Get a thicker skin, isn't that what you tell me? But then blasting me because you let your anger at the post get the best of you and destroy your comprehension is no excuse. Haven't you also told me that?

Again, I will say that the sport compact thing is not a fad. "Ricers" are and, it really hurts to say this but, I agree with RuSsMaN. He hit it dead on. Stop getting so uppity about it.

Lastly, go ahead and make the redneck generalization. It's unwarranted and inaccurate but I've dealt with it all my life, doesn't bother me. Also, I never meant to discredit you. I was only attempting to restore my own credibility as being knowledgable on the subjects I am discussing. I felt that your remarks and "generalizations" were disparaging and seemed to be detracting from my statements and the credibility behind them. The ONLY reason you can claim more time is the fact that you are most likely older than I am. I promise you though that I have alot more knowledge in my head than anyone ever gives me credit for.

One more thing, about examples, you don't like them, TFB again. I do not use them to validate an argument. I was using them to demostrate an example of what I see happening in the market. You can goto CES all you want. CES will not tell you what Joe Schmoe who doesn't even know what CES is, is doing with his minivan. I can because I have consulted people who have asked me for help and advice, many people, with LOTS of money, on what to do to gain a certain level of performance for thier vehicle. I am trying to stick a bug in Polk Audio's ear saying "Don't forget about these guys over here or those guys over there." I know how to argue a point and I know that one cannot win an argument by proxy. I was not arguing with you, those examples were not even meant for you. The only one that was was the guy with 8K invested into the his audio system in his car. That was in response to your statement about the average guy not wanting that kind of thing in his car. It was an example of an actual application. The argument in the entiure paragraph before it, you chose to ignore. The argument wasn't even about applications. It was about the marketing strategy and teh fact that no one is marketing mobile entertainment stuff to the people who would use it the MOST, familes with small children that need to be occupied on long trips!

So kindly, quit it. Get off your high horse because no one is attacking you and there is no high road to take here. Do not side track this thread any more. This is not what this thread is about. If you care to continue this further, take it to email or private messages. My address is jrjr@snip.net
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,535
    edited July 2003
    Since I am getting a truck. I honestly dont plan to get into Car Audio when I get my truck. But I will comment on this.
    If I were to really go full throttle into it, I would put Dual 18's with 1000 watt mono amps in the bed of the truck in an enclosure. One 10 inch inside, and Polk's TOTL speaker, as long as it didnt have the chrome lookin grill, because that mess looks **** in a truck. No offense, but it just dosnt mesh! lol!
    My point...Trucks are alot more versatile than cars when it comes to Car Audio in what you can do. Unless you like to loose alot of trunk room...
    My 2 cents...may be wrong...but hey...ooooh well!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    VR3 -- 18's in the bed? with 1000w amps... you'd never hear them

you'd have to cut aand build ports you could get your body through from the bed to the cabin -- else why bother.

if you're going for sheer boom effect -- two 18's with 1k each isn't going to do all that much -- i drive 1500 x 2 to my subs and you can't really hear jack outside the cabin... then again i've got enough sound deading of various methods to dampen a space shuttle launch.

a single 12 with 1k - 1500 watts would be plenty in an X cab truck... a single 10 with 750 would do in a standard cab... or u can go the "no holds barred" route and get up to an infinite number of speakers...

either way -- i've found two 12's with 3000 watts total rms sub power to be quite pleasing for both sound quality and mind numbing volume.

i just found my Dr. Dre Chronic 2001 CD in my girlfriend's room layin on the floor -- had lost it for almost 2 yrs -- true to form, it pounds like crazy... yet for some reason i still thank my 88 stardard cab pickup sounded better... i must be going deaf.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    dude, VR3... if u wanna get sick loud in a bed... try this on...

polk used to have a box plan in their old "fabrication" section on the old website.

as of late it became just suggestions for Q logic boxes -- i kinda liked the old schematics / blue prints for how to make your own boxes for the particular subs -- it was fun to read and gave some good ideas...

anywho - back to the point...

there was a box design for what i believe is the 8 foot bed of a pickup truck.

in it where something like 8 or 10 EXII 12" subs.

they were all firing toward the center of the bed with about a foot or so between them...

now that... with like 3000 watts would be loud as hell.

the cone mass and the amount of air being moved would greatly compensate for the low (and i use low liberally here... throwing 300 on a sub isn't low power, but for the "bangin in the back of a truck bed" in compairson to a couple k watts its low) power to each sub.

i never had a chance to build it -- thought about it a hundred times... i may someday do it... run like a crossfire VR2000D to the subs in the bed and call it a day -- i could probably get away with just one or two more batteries and a bigger alternator long as i didn't run it every day.... that'd be something for "show off to friends" only kinda thing.

but yes THAT would be killer...lol...

whatta u rollin around in now VR3?

and what kind of truck are you getting ?? (how are u using it? work, mudding, daily driving ?)
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Im rolling in a computer chair!
    I'm 14, get my Truck in 2 years. Getting a 1987 Nissan King Cab Exstended bed from my Dad. It will be used for daily driving usage, and construction work. I don't really plan to get into Car Audio though.
    I wouldnt exactly put my speakers in a closet, I couldnt imagine putting them in a car! lol! But, I may someday!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited July 2003
    PbD - I would love to see that, damn that's a bad **** thought. Would the SPL's from that be enough to break windows? Would it depend on ultra high watts, or just a correct setup?

Faster - Amen. :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by "Polk" Paul DiComo
    Folks,
    Come on, let's cut out the sniping and insults. Life is too short to get all riled up over ricers vs. trucks, perceived insults and other BS. Just let it roll off your back. I notice that a lot of these spats get started because someone didn't read a post carefully enough - just plain and simple miscommunication.
    Chill, yo.
    no crap...do it off the boards...
    faster...jstas gave you his email...if you want to post...great...if you want to complain about jstas...do it through email
    i dont want to hear it...neither does anyone else
    -Cody
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Jstas

Paul,
    Steve and I have discussed things off the site. It was really more of a misunderstanding than anything and judging from Steve's response, I believe things have been resolved.

Agreed!
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    PbD - I would love to see that, damn that's a bad **** thought. Would the SPL's from that be enough to break windows? Would it depend on ultra high watts, or just a correct setup?

well here's the thing -- it woudl be in the bed of a truck... so in the driving cabin you'd see nothing near what the actual SPL was if you instead put the microphone in the bed of the truck with the subs.

there... it would be sick **** loud.

again, this is why such a setup is only good for showing off to everybody else -- teh spl in the bed, if done right, with proper amplification might peg up around 165 or so - but you'd really have to soundproof the hell out of the bed... which would negate that "boom boom show off" factor.. cuz once u slammed the bed cover down and bolted it in place you wouldn't be able to hear it.

instead the goal wouldn't be SPL but just braggadocio loudness, a vinyl bed cover could be used, a thin layer of rhinoliner on the bed to kill some rattle (prollly do it underneath too) and then go to town... however, if u sealed off the bed, sound deadened it, and threw the mic in the bed .... i can see it doing 165+++++ depending on how much work, time, and money you put into it.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by faster100
    I'm Italian what can i say, I have a attitude and i'm opinionated

I'm italian too... doesn't make me act the way u do.

Please don't go around telling people you're Italian, it makes the rest of us look really bad.

I don't know how your wife or kids put up with you.

Get a grip.

The Polk employees probably didn't disagree / rag on Jstas not because they had any worry of bad PR or word of mouth... a simple click could remove a post from this board, and if they wanted they could remove all our usernames... instead, I'm thinking they listened and had constructive conversation because they felt they were getting this sort of "blah" feeling from the consumer community as a whole and figured they might as well take it up with the bitchiest of us all (namely the couple of people who chimed in on this post) because then they'd get the "worst case scenario" and could then decide if/what they wanted to do from there.

I think it was a smart move. My opinion of the company went up about 3 or 4 clicks on the click-o-meter.

I'm gonna go get my plates now... but first I'm going to "El Toi-o-let" where I will relieve myself of a faster100 and then be on my way...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    Oh yeah? Blah, blah, blah...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    My dad can kick your dad's ****. My dingus is bigger than yours. My bike is better than yours. Nah Nah Nah boo-boo, stick your hand in doo-doo.

Triple infinity and beyond.

So, how bout' that Polk marketing?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited July 2003
    :: :rolleyes:This is the type of mess that sent the Home Audio Forums down the drain...:rolleyes:::

Not trying to get involved, but hey -- I thought I'd point it out!

And don't forget to tune in next week where you will see two Italian's incoherently rambling and beating each other over the head with garlic breadstick's.
    - ATC

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA FRIGGIN HILARIOUS!!! GOOD ONE SEAN! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2003
    Blah, blah, blah, blah...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by "Polk" Paul DiComo

Chill, yo.
    Please don't say that anymore. We thank you.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    why do i feel like the last lonely hick in east bumble as the city trash moves into my neck of the woods... oh wait, i know why.

i just cooked a speaker... better things to do than deal w/ u Faster.

'Quart builds junk... shudda never bought these damn things.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    anybody have some DX / EX III / or even pioneer 6x9's laying around they dont want anymore?? i'm accepting donations.
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    How, no wait --- Why...Did you *cook* a speaker? ;)
    You gotta love it, sitting there jammin - CRACKLE, GARGLE, POP, KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Josh
    Please don't say that anymore. We thank you.
    lmao...hasnt worked yet either...people from the home audio(no not all, just some)forum come over to the car audio and mess up the whole damn forum...this started out as a really good post...i wish justin would come in here and delete all the others(including this one)...maybe itll all go away...probably not...but ooo well
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    dude it didnt' do any of that...

all of a sudden i just started to hear this rubbing, then scratching, then just ****-y sound everytime the bass hit -- so i started balancing off, fading off, and dialing back and forth till i pinpointed it to be the rear driver side speaker... pulled the plug on that speaker, rest of the system sound perfectly fine, the way i want it to.

but it just crapped the bed on me... i think they were crossed over too low -- they're running free air in the back deckand i think anything under 100hz is too low to X them at before they start bustin up. stupid **** cheap speakers... i could run DX9's at 60 hz free air in a door as long as i didn't break 50 watts rms -- and the Xtant amp i'm running is 50x4 regulated power. this is what i get for buying something ive never used before. the only thing i'm happy with is the 3.5's -- they do make a damn good 3.5" ... the little 8" subs from PG aren't too shabby either, but they coudl be better -- then again they were 39 bucks on closeout -- cant go wrong there. i just gotta get this damn coax fixed... and sounddomain is gonna give me a nightmare of a time - they always do -- jerks.

from the looks of it, i honestly didn't think it was too well built of a speaker... i mean honestly it SOUNDS nice up to a certain amount of power but the build quality looks like its got much to be envious of.

friggin overseas crap.
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    lmao...hasnt worked yet either...people from the home audio(no not all, just some)forum come over to the car audio and mess up the whole damn forum
    -Cody

Eh, Would I be one of them? lol - hope not. :confused:

PBD - Maybe it was constructed by Tonka?? I hate it when I blow woofers. They cost money, and not to mention until you turn them off it sounds ella bad! lol! Ah well, you get what you pay for...The car speakers in my mom's car is like that. The right side speakers turn off occasionally and you have to toggle the bass/treble ---- Fade left/right buttons to get them to turn back on. But my sister believes in blaring sound out of 2 speakers on one side. The left door speaker crackles on low notes. The left back speaker has a disconnected wizzer tweeter and a also crackles on low notes. Quite funny to listen to really.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    i realize u get what u pay for but MB Quart isn't cheap ****... its actually considered a bit of a step up from your best buy / circuit city stuff... but the damn build quality doesnt' seem to back up that 'reputation'... it reminds me of JL for christ sake. argh.. i mean they sound good -- just dont last long... oh well... i think cody's bad luck is rubbin off on me... you 'bastid'!!! :)