Newbie with questions

Options
Fastmerc
Fastmerc Posts: 99
edited July 2003 in Speakers
Hello Forum,

As stated, I am a Newbie to the forum. I have read over some great info here so thanks in advance. I have a few questions so here it goes. First, I have had the pleasure of owning my current polk set up (listed on my sig) for a little over 5 years. I just purchased a Yamaha RX-Z1 to allow me to get into the DD age, since I only had lowly prologic for toooo long! The Yamaha now allows me to move to a 7.1 Setup. That brings up my first question. What speakers to add. My original thoughts were to find a used set of RT20p's (or 2000's) and another CS350...then I thought RT3000's and cs1000 for front and move my current front stage to rear, and move my current surrounds to front FX....OR do I go for lsi15s or 25s for new mains etc....such decisions:confused: I need some loyal polk fan input!

If I do put some towers in the rear with powered subs...any suggestions on how to wire them...ie with rca interconnect (one damn long run) or just run the supplied jumpers.

I have also had an issue over the years of blowing the 8" drivers in my 20s. Polk has been gracious enough to supply replacements on more than one occasion. However the recommended fix to the problem has always been to turn down the volume to the subs at the amp. I Basically have them set at about 30% and still ended up with a blown voice coil, any suggestions?

Other related questions....I have read threads discussing a set up disk by Avia...Just wondering where to get this. I also suppose I need to invest in a spl meter...Which should I look for?

Thanks again,
Brett:D
Mains: RT20Ps
Center: CS350LS
R. Surround: RT16s
R. Center: CS350LS
F. Effects: LS/FX
Sub: Titanic 15
Reciever: Yamaha RX-Z1
TV: 55 LED LCD
Interconnects:AR, RSF, MC
Speaker Cable:MC
Post edited by Fastmerc on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited June 2003
    Options
    rt16's or rt12's would work great.....ahh the days of the older....I loved polk speakers back then................and still do.

you own the rt20p's I remember looking at them and feeling all warm and fuzzy.They where slighty out of my price class then as I was after the rt16's....they sold out and out came the brand new rt1000p's and I was sold....

Your system and Yamaha....falgship nontheless.I hope you got a really good deal on it.Lately we(Tweeter) have been selling less and Less of Yamaha due to the ever so popular demand of Denon products.Yamaha used to be really big,I owned them myself.Since the rxz1 came out I haven't installed a single unit.The rxv1 sold like mad...and did up untill the end.

I'll have to say look for used my man.Look for speakers in your series of then....No lsi for your current setup.Lsi and Yamaha is a very bad mix.Its really up to you how you want to setup what you own.Personally I never cared for the LS/fx rears.I felt they really lacked.Monopoles of then like the rt5's would be my choice.But if you can get the damn LS/fx to sound terrific then more power to yeah.I'm not really feeling the rt3000p's,you should use the entire 5000 system if your going to go that route and part ways with the speakers you have now.I don't care to mix years.Polk makes changes and it doesn't match perfectly.I'm super anal but you might not be.

you keep blowing the 8 inches huh.well I say blend them in as musical woofers instead of subwoofers...one in the same in my opnion but others do otherwise.The woofers in the rt20p's shouldn't call attention to themselves,they should blend in like they are passive....if you know what I mean....difficult in that speaker as they are tempermental.The rt2000p's where there replacement and sounded differnent.

Owning an external sub is the way to go.I don't really know what this DMX thing is you own.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I don't have Rotel or B&K available to me here, but I still overwhelming prefer the sound of the RXZ1 to the Denon 5803 on LSi's.
  • Fastmerc
    edited June 2003
    Options

Your system and Yamaha....falgship nontheless.I hope you got a really good deal on it.Lately we(Tweeter) have been selling less and Less of Yamaha due to the ever so popular demand of Denon products
    I did...at least compared to what my local hi end audio store sells it for. Unfortunetly I dont have much to chose from around here...no Denon dealer that I know of to take a listen to the unit.

I'm super anal but you might not be.
    Probably not quite as anal...lol...but fairly

Owning an external sub is the way to go.I don't really know what this DMX thing is you own.
    Actually its DBX...they manufactured hifi stuff back in the day...as in DBX noise reduction back in the way way back time...anyway its been a strong seperate amp Ive had forever...I use it to power a DIY 15" sub. That is definetly my main source for the low end...but I still have never understood why the 8s kept blowing...at first I had them set pretty high about 70%...then replaced and turned back to about 50%...then replaced then moved back to about 30%....blew again...theres not much more room to turn down the amp before nothing comes out.
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Does it blow the sub in one tower or both? If it is in the same one every time there could be a problem with the onboard amp and is driving the sub at the same level no matter where you put the gain or some other anomoly. Can you tell an audible change in volume when you adjust the gains on both? If it is in both maybe adjusting the cutoff frequency would help, somebody correct me here if I am off base about the cutoff helping any.
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • Fastmerc
    edited June 2003
    Options
    To be honest I dont recall whether or not it was always the same tower. I have replaced 4 drivers so far over about 4 years. The amp in one of the towers was also replaced once. The level control seems to be fully functional. By the way I always kept the bass and treble controls on the reciever set to flat and didnt use any other bass boosting controls.
  • Fastmerc
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Mantis and HWM. I suppose I will start more threads to answer my other questions.

Thanks again,
    Brett