Tweekers Needed.....

Options
brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,621
edited June 2003 in Electronics
No, it's not a drug thread you freaks........ lol

OK.....so I got ATC's Z2b's so that I could hook up my extra set of RT16's to them in my bedroom, but of course I didn't look to see if the Posts would work.......they don't. So after fighting with this piece-o-SHIAAAAAT to finally get it open (to consider upgrading the Posts to accomodate the bigger ends of the cables), I find that the Binding Posts are actually mounted to the circuit board of the amp. Having never tried an upgrade like this, I have no idea if that's normal, and if it is, I don't see how I could possibly take it apart to mount new posts on......

For the record, this is a H/K Festival 60 mini system. It's actually pretty nice.....I just wanted to toy wtih the thought of usin my other pair of RT16's..........but now I have the thing in pieces and it's not pretty.........

Any ideas?

EDIT: The reason that the current posts don't work is because there's only space for bare wire (with those protective sleeves around the posts), not cables with pre-terminated heads on them......
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Brett Brett Brett.............

How about a pic.Your going to wire up monster bi wires to a mini system running a pair of rt16's..........umm ok....
    I gotta see this......what ends are on the wires now???They aren't monster locks where you can interchange them???
    If they are,unscreww the tips and expose the pins underneath.....they should go in just fine.I don't know if the binding post on this thing can hold the weight or not but thats something else to talk about.

Take a pic Bro I need to see.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • brettw22
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I don't have a cam handy......I'd have to get one from a friend and I'm about to go outta town for a few weeks.........the weight of the wire issue is ok.....I could always put my old Onkyo receiver in the mini's place, but even teh binding posts on that thing have those protective sleeve..........that's the problem. The wires that ATC had aren't the monster lock(amp end term'd with spades, speaker end term'd with pins.....which I'm finding to suck substantially), so swapping tips isn't doable. Really the only reason for wanting the 16's in the bedroom at this very moment is to get them out of the living room where they're sitting in a corner doing nothing other than holding up my cable modem. the mini system is actually quite a bit better than a basic mini system......this has a seperate amp, cd player, and processor up top.....kinda cool actually. They're all tied together with that ribbon type of connection, but it all works......
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Shame on you putting the rt16s in the corner as a stand...bad man bad man.........

hook spades huh......well you could cut them off and re terminate with bananas if they work.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Options
    maybe that's why he sold them, the ends stink.. I think he said they wouldn't fit on somthing he had.. LOL just a suggestion
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Just a thought. Why not buy some of those screw down banana plugs and just put the post through there and screw it down. Then fill the void with some silver solder and trim off the excess.

Just a thought. Kind of hard for me to tell without seeing it. I remember Venom having a picture way back but couldn't find it.

Paul
  • brettw22
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I'll bench this idea until I get back from the work/vacation trip that I've got on Tuesday. I'll see what I can do about getting a cam to take some pics too, so that'll probably help y'all out....... Thanks.....