HU on the way. Tuning help needed!

Comments

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2010
    So i was going to post here and ask about head unit recommendations, but i was looking at the one you suggested as well as the higher end models in the same series, and i just wanted to get your take on the unit so far.

I bought it mainly for it's features such as 4 volt pre-outs/time alignment/dsp settings.

The fact that it can fully control an ipod/iphone is really just a plus, because I got a free iPod touch that I just leave hidden in the glove compartment hooked up to the HU via USB.

Feel free to ask anything specifically about the HU, will be happy to answer you. Btw, my cousin has the KIV-700 which I'm familiar with too in case you don't need a cd player in your HU (the KIV is media-only).
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    Btw, for the price it's really a no brainer!

You get a basic foundation for building up a great sounding setup and if you go through Crutchfield like I did, you'll be taken care of considering it's a Signature product :)
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited October 2010
    yeah i was looking at the KIV-900 or 700, not sure if i want the bluetooth.
    My 9885 was my worst electronics purchase i have ever made, the audio controls on it are about as worthless as it gets, i would use my friends cousin employee discount at bestbuy, prob around 30% or so, im gonna see if i will actually want the built in memory...
    i could always get the processor for my alpine... GRRR in the past 2 months ive built the computer i have bellow, purchased a cannon dslr, macbook pro.... its hard to allow myself to spend more!

i just took a 200 question 4 hour midterm... so my writing is stupid. sorry.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    yeah i was looking at the KIV-900 or 700, not sure if i want the bluetooth.
    My 9885 was my worst electronics purchase i have ever made, the audio controls on it are about as worthless as it gets, i would use my friends cousin employee discount at bestbuy, prob around 30% or so, im gonna see if i will actually want the built in memory...
    i could always get the processor for my alpine... GRRR in the past 2 months ive built the computer i have bellow, purchased a cannon dslr, macbook pro.... its hard to allow myself to spend more!

i just took a 200 question 4 hour midterm... so my writing is stupid. sorry.

Not a problem at all.

Unless you have a Zune, I'd suggest going with the X794/994 with built-in cd player. You give up having a detachable face with the KIV700/900 on top of paying a good hundred or so more. They both have the same level of DSP/DTA/etc, just that the KIV has a nice colored display. I believe the 994 has one as well, but the 794 doesn't which I don't mind really.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2010
    So i was going to post here and ask about head unit recommendations, not sure if i want the bluetooth..

http://www.woofersetc.com/p4306/DEHP880PRS--Pioneer-Premier-MP3-WMA-AAC-Receiver.htm

You may want to check this out. To my mind, its the best 1 din cd player ever made, at a reasonable cost. The P-99 will give you 25% better sound but at 2+ times the price. At that price I'd rather run a basic $300 hu with a $ 700 processor, which would give me 50% better sound over the P-99 and I'd wind up saving a couple of hundred.

However, with any of the above options, be prepared to spend 12-18 months tweaking, before things start to fall in place.
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    That's a pretty damn nice HU arun :eek:

Seems like the older sought after models to have are all discontinued. Nowadays it's all about touch-screen+ipod/phone and such. Really liked the HU sherard mentioned as well but I'm more than happy with the one I have.

Contemplating for my next upgrade whether to buy an amp then (later) an SR sub or go all out active X-O.

Bad enough I ended up with a full set of 1-week old components, a 1 month old amp and once I upgrade my sub+sub amp I'll have another amp and speaker with less than 2-3 months of total playtime. Another entire system! :p
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    2 Views of my trunk with amps installed.

Won't be doing anything custom until I have everything I want/need. Until then, it'll look pretty basic.

SNV13215.jpg

SNV13216.jpg
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    2 Views of my trunk with amps installed.

Won't be doing anything custom until I have everything I want/need. Until then, it'll look pretty basic.

SNV13215.jpg

SNV13216.jpg

Looks nice, you ran your power wires super clean, i like it.

That premier head unit above is pretty damn nice, but im not about to spending 550 bucks on a single din, just not worth it for me.
    I went ahead and got a Kenwood KIV700 and the BT300.
    I spoke to kenwood for about an hour today and learned that the only difference between the x994 and the kiv7 sound quality wise is that the KIV7 will have better sound quality when it comes to Digital music.
    Paid 345.00 for both shipped with 2 day shipping. i cant wait to get it in my car.

Kawizx - Let me know if you learn of any hidden tuning gems in ur unit!

keep up the good work.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    Looks nice, you ran your power wires super clean, i like it.

That premier head unit above is pretty damn nice, but im not about to spending 550 bucks on a single din, just not worth it for me.
    I went ahead and got a Kenwood KIV700 and the BT300.
    I spoke to kenwood for about an hour today and learned that the only difference between the x994 and the kiv7 sound quality wise is that the KIV7 will have better sound quality when it comes to Digital music.
    Paid 345.00 for both shipped with 2 day shipping. i cant wait to get it in my car.

Kawizx - Let me know if you learn of any hidden tuning gems in ur unit!

keep up the good work.

It wouldn't be smart as a company to utilize different DACs considering the KIV/X series all came out at the same time. The only difference being that the KIVs are media-only. I'd hate to say it but if you just spoke to a sales associate or bottom of the totem pole customer service, they most likely don't know what they're talking about.

The only thing the KIVs have over the X series is that the KIV series is Zune compatible. You can control the Zune completely from the headunit the way you would control an ipod/iphone with several other units. As for the built-in DAC, it's the same in all their latest units.

I'm wondering though, why'd you go with the 700 and adapter as opposed to the 900 itself? Would've saved you some money no?

As for my car, I haven't put any time in tuning it. Was too busy installing my K&N FIPK intake. It's **** awesome :D:D:D
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    PICS of my intake!

Sorry, but they're low quality. Forgot my damn memory card for my camera so I took these with my phone. Will take better ones tomorrow with my camera ;)

Here, the stock airbox was taken out. Easy really, disconnect the hose and pull straight up!

Photo0078.jpg

Here's a closeup of it installed :D

Photo0080.jpg

Engine bay, slightly blurry :eek:

Photo0083.jpg
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2010
    That's a pretty damn nice HU arun :eek:

Really liked the HU sherard mentioned as well

Ask Mac the about the diff between the 9887 and seperate L/R eq over 16 frequencies......all other things being equal. No processor in either setup. Honestly dragging Mac into this primarily for his experience. :)
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    arun1963 wrote: »
    Ask Mac the about the diff between the 9887 and seperate L/R eq over 16 frequencies......all other things being equal. No processor in either setup. Honestly dragging Mac into this primarily for his experience. :)

Well I'd love to learn some more if it means bugging Mac to get him to bestow some more knowledge upon us :p

Just don't go trying to convince me I need another HU! I just got this Excelon last month :eek:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    It wouldn't be smart as a company to utilize different DACs considering the KIV/X series all came out at the same time. The only difference being that the KIVs are media-only. I'd hate to say it but if you just spoke to a sales associate or bottom of the totem pole customer service, they most likely don't know what they're talking about.

The only thing the KIVs have over the X series is that the KIV series is Zune compatible. You can control the Zune completely from the headunit the way you would control an ipod/iphone with several other units. As for the built-in DAC, it's the same in all their latest units.

I'm wondering though, why'd you go with the 700 and adapter as opposed to the 900 itself? Would've saved you some money no?

As for my car, I haven't put any time in tuning it. Was too busy installing my K&N FIPK intake. It's **** awesome :D:D:D

Haha i definitely know what you mean about people on the bottom of the totem pole, i had to have a higher tech call me. I asked what the sound quality diff was to like 3 diff people and got the same answer, well its blah blah RMS at 4 channels. but there is 100% difference in media playback on the 700 and 900. I went with the 700 because the 300 has a larger product support list, my Moto Droid isnt supported by the 900, but is by the 300, that was the main reason, it cost me like 25 more bucks.
    Im thinking of returning the bt300 though, i've been making good money (commision) lately but i think i might prefer the HD tuner over the streaming bluetooth, I can just use a 3.5mm jack. Ive vertually gotten over using my ipod these days, my droids interface is pretty dang good, you really cant complain when i can say "Magical Mystery Tour" and the song starts playing... ipods cant do that.... yet.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    Haha i definitely know what you mean about people on the bottom of the totem pole, i had to have a higher tech call me. I asked what the sound quality diff was to like 3 diff people and got the same answer, well its blah blah RMS at 4 channels. but there is 100% difference in media playback on the 700 and 900. I went with the 700 because the 300 has a larger product support list, my Moto Droid isnt supported by the 900, but is by the 300, that was the main reason, it cost me like 25 more bucks.
    Im thinking of returning the bt300 though, i've been making good money (commision) lately but i think i might prefer the HD tuner over the streaming bluetooth, I can just use a 3.5mm jack. Ive vertually gotten over using my ipod these days, my droids interface is pretty dang good, you really cant complain when i can say "Magical Mystery Tour" and the song starts playing... ipods cant do that.... yet.

Lol

Well, either way if you would've gone with the 700/900/794/994, you can just use your phone as an external HDD (if your phone allows that) connected to the HU's USB input. I tried it once with my phone since I had music on my 4gb SDHC and it started right up and played just the same way an ipod/usb drive/external hdd would.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    Lol

Well, either way if you would've gone with the 700/900/794/994, you can just use your phone as an external HDD (if your phone allows that) connected to the HU's USB input. I tried it once with my phone since I had music on my 4gb SDHC and it started right up and played just the same way an ipod/usb drive/external hdd would.

yeah i did that on a buddies pioneer, my phone is 16gb so i can load it up pretty well, i got a hub for the new stereo, i work in the computer industry so i have about 20 8gb usb flash drives, ill connect a couple and be good.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    Well, I've posted a few non-HU related pics/posts so w.e. :p

Here's a better pic of my intake installed, and ANOTHER upgrade I got for my car (picked it up today ;)). With the money spent on the K&N intake and upper+lower intake manifold I could've bought an SR12" sub AND JL Audio Slash amp :eek:

Oh well :D:D:D

SNV13223.jpg

SNV13228.jpg
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited October 2010
    nice audio stuff. i have the OLDOLDOLD Deh-6400 in my car. in the silver srt i have a clarion touch screen. not sure on the model tho.
    mole'
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    mole' wrote: »
    nice audio stuff. i have the OLDOLDOLD Deh-6400 in my car. in the silver srt i have a clarion touch screen. not sure on the model tho.

The old Pio's with Organic EL display? Those were badass and had nice little screen savers to them.

I plan on utilizing the amplifiers potential by going full active, but I still need to run another set of RCA's from the HU's rear channel outputs into the amp's B input.

This way (as D mentioned) I can manually adjust the time alignment for each tweeter and woofer to different positions (since the tweeter+woofer don't sit in the same position) all from my HU. Since installing the amp and listening to music for an avg of 3-4 hours a day I think it's time to adjust the gain a bit more. I've got it pretty low (on the 2nd to lowest setting) which allows me to turn the HU up to max volume without a single hint of distortion. I want a little more headroom though ;)
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    Oh, and my GF asked where I could get the Polk SR12".

She said the other gift will have to be a surprise, but plans on getting me an SR12" for X-mas. I'd love one, but I might go with the MM. Would love to save room with a smaller enclosure and not have to rewire everything with 2ga. and purchase a new amp to run the SR.

We'll see.......
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• mole'
    edited October 2010
    The old Pio's with Organic EL display? Those were badass and had nice little screen savers to them.

I plan on utilizing the amplifiers potential by going full active, but I still need to run another set of RCA's from the HU's rear channel outputs into the amp's B input.

This way (as D mentioned) I can manually adjust the time alignment for each tweeter and woofer to different positions (since the tweeter+woofer don't sit in the same position) all from my HU. Since installing the amp and listening to music for an avg of 3-4 hours a day I think it's time to adjust the gain a bit more. I've got it pretty low (on the 2nd to lowest setting) which allows me to turn the HU up to max volume without a single hint of distortion. I want a little more headroom though ;)

yup, thats it. i have been out of the car audio sceen for awhile. i still have the stock kicker system with the kicker sub/amp in my black SRT. ill snap a pic of it tomorrow
    mole'
  • mole'
    edited October 2010
    Oh, and my GF asked where I could get the Polk SR12".

She said the other gift will have to be a surprise, but plans on getting me an SR12" for X-mas. I'd love one, but I might go with the MM. Would love to save room with a smaller enclosure and not have to rewire everything with 2ga. and purchase a new amp to run the SR.

We'll see.......

JL w7 FTW
    mole'
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    yup, thats it. i have been out of the car audio sceen for awhile. i still have the stock kicker system with the kicker sub/amp in my black SRT. ill snap a pic of it tomorrow

Ah nice. Still want that stock Chrysler radio right?
    JL w7 FTW

Eh....that'd require a new amp as well but an even BIGGER BOX :eek:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    Ah nice. Still want that stock Chrysler radio right?

Eh....that'd require a new amp as well but an even BIGGER BOX :eek:

w6 would sound just as good as the w7.. unless your reason for wanting a w7 is to make ur ears bleed.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    w6 would sound just as good as the w7.. unless your reason for wanting a w7 is to make ur ears bleed.

Well, my GF said it's my choice really but if I want the SR I'd have to wait a bit...because she says my other present is going to be pricey :eek:

Oh and btw, I'd rather go with Polk for the quality bass rather than SPL ;)
    DSkip wrote: »
    Just because a sub can handle 700 RMS doesn't mean that's what you have to feed it...

True, but I guess it's the home audio side of me that says 'give it all the power it can handle continuously' :p

Oh, and I'm dropping ANOTHER $400 bucks tomorrow geez! At least I'm getting my STAGE 1!!!!!
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    just installed my head unit last night... HOLY SHITE!!!!
    i cant believe my 300 dollar alpine was such a POS compared to it...
    I bet you are loving yours!

BTW - WTS Alpine 9885 with box, remote, hardness, ipod cable, manual :)
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    just installed my head unit last night... HOLY SHITE!!!!
    i cant believe my 300 dollar alpine was such a POS compared to it...
    I bet you are loving yours!

BTW - WTS Alpine 9885 with box, remote, hardness, ipod cable, manual :)

LOL

Yeah, I can't stop messing around with it :wink:

I have the display as Positive2, meaning when the car's on the display is white with black letters. Turn on your lights (headlights/etc) and it turns black with white letters.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    Brilliant advertising. Quit trying to sell us POS items....

LOL it was a joke. i work sales... im a bit better at advertising than that!
    Its going in my girlfriends tacoma.

its a really good unit - just forces you to buy the Alpine processor
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    What year taco? I miss my '07 dearly.

she has a white 4 door TRD 03. its pretty nice, but she still uses a tape to 3.5mm for her ipod
    only has 60k on it.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    I know this thread was originally for seeking advice on tuning once I got my HU and other goodies, but DO POST PICS!

I want to see what you're running :biggrin:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• Juice75
    Juice75 Posts: 7
    edited November 2010
    Hey Kawi - how are you liking that head unit? I'm looking into the X994 as well. My only concern are the iPod controls. The Sony I have now is great for my iPod, but seriously lacks in SQ and tuning.