Lack of Lower frequencies in my RTi38

Options
gacilu
gacilu Posts: 11
edited June 2003 in Troubleshooting
Hi,

I started to make a home teather system at home and I decided to start with an small system but with a big future.

I only have the front speakers with a subwoofer.

I have RTi38 pair at front and a PSW404 as a subwoofer. My receiver is a Marantz SR4300.

At the beginning I connected the PSW404 to the Sub preout of the Marantz and the RTi38 to the front channel, but there was a hole between the Front and the Sub. The male voices seems to be lost.
After that I changed the connections, following the instructions in the subwoofer guide, and I have connected my front RTi38 across the subwoofer and I set up the Marantz without a Subwoofer . The sound is better, but the low male voices still are not as good as I would like.

Do you have any suggestions to improve the performance?

Thanks for your help.
Post edited by gacilu on

Comments

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited June 2003
    Options
    CSi30 perhaps?

Are you talking about the home theater experience, as in movies? I can't think of why there would be a hole in the frequency spectrum with your setup, but a center speaker would provide a more direct relationship with movie dialogue.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    How is your bass management configured for both set-ups (the sub cable and the speaker wire method)?

By bass management, I mean the receiver settings for speaker size, and subwoofer crossover frequency, etc.

It might help identify why there is a problem with male voices.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you have your setup running DD/DTS/Etc movies, and are trying to do that thru only 2 speakers(L+R), it will sound "hollow" without a center channel. I know what sound effect you are experiencing and that is possibly why.

It is almost like you can't hear what is going on right? Dialogue that is....

I would go back to your first setup after buying a center channel. In the meantime just play your movies in 2 channel mode, you won't get a HT experience with 2 channel but it will certainly be loud.

*EDIT*

I should have said possibly why, sorry :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2003
    Options
    it could also be something as simple as the wiring on your speakers might be wrong too. this will cause a loss in bass. check to make sure your pos (red) goes to red on your receiver. and the same for neg (black).

good luck, Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: