Dr. Spec-Mantis-base traps

dholmes
dholmes Posts: 1,136
I tried to use rolled carpet for standing waves,it helped a little, but not enough. If I made base traps myself(which is suppose to trap base) wouldnt the size of the trap 10inwide-12wide? effect different base 20hz,40hz50hz.I cant pay the big $ for the real thing,HELP!!! thanks
My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
Post edited by dholmes on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2003
    I'm not the DIY kind of guy.I perfer to buy the product instead of making it myself.

But there's got to be a good web site online somewhere with certain material that can dampen what freq's your looking to dampen.......

Have you considered used???I'm sure theres gotta be someone close by,where do you live???Over at Soundex where I used to work(Willow Groove ,Pa)they have many used traps,they also have alot of sound boards,defusers all used and ready to go.
    Check out there website maybe you could do a online purchase or over the phone,they ship.

WWW.SOUNDEXONLINE.COM
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2003
    These bass traps are some of the most effective DIY traps out there. Most other ones I have seen have not been proven to do the job like these. here are the links:

bass trap instructions here look carefully, they're in there under tube traps. towards the bottom of the page.

here are some construction pics

and the rest of his DIY treatments

You are correct in your thoughts about the larger the diameter the deeper the bass it will absorb, however carpet does not do a good job of absorbing bass, it is more of a midrange high frequency absorber. You need to used fiberglass insulation like he does in the links above. I hope to someday build some of these...

let us know how they work if you give them a try.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • mfi
    mfi Posts: 9
    edited June 2003
    The jon Risch website is the best source for DIY treatments. I made mine out of rigid fiberglass panels. Follow his directions, they are easy to make. The quick and dirty bass traps are even easier. Room treatment is an overlooked science. It can increase the performance of a system immensely. It did mine.
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited June 2003
    Thanks everyone with help on base traps
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.