MM6501 in SEALED pods? 2 mids per pod *With Pic

monkeyleg
monkeyleg Posts: 10
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Anybody know how these will sound in a sealed enclosure? I havn't found any T/S parameters. I don't need to play below 90HZ. There will be 6 sets in the car so I'm not worried about max output/efficiency. Maybe fill with polyfill or cut out the back holes in the back of the pods?
Pics of pods =
http://s916.photobucket.com/albums/ad5/cz3chmonkey/?action=view&current=august104.jpg&newest=1
Post edited by monkeyleg on

Comments

• monkeyleg
    edited September 2010
    Yea for each of the 4 doors. They fit two 6.5", two 1" tweeters, and two 3" T.Vs
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited September 2010
    Posted it for you.

august104.jpg

Nice looking panel. Adding polyfill will make the speakers sound as if they're in a bigger enclosure btw, and if you don't need them playing anything lower than a specific freq I'd say just use your HU or amp's built-in XO :)
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2010
    monkeyleg wrote: »
    Anybody know how these will sound in a sealed enclosure? I havn't found any T/S parameters. I don't need to play below 90HZ. There will be 6 sets in the car so I'm not worried about max output/efficiency. Maybe fill with polyfill or cut out the back holes in the back of the pods?
    Pics of pods =
    http://s916.photobucket.com/albums/ad5/cz3chmonkey/?action=view&current=august104.jpg&newest=1

Good luck with phase and cancellation issues. Do you really need 12 mids plus tweets in a car?
  • monkeyleg
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for posting the pic! I need to know what the mids will sound like in a sealed enclosure. I have used them in a free air application, just like everyone else with a speaker in a car door but I would like know what the difference in sound will be. Anybody know from first hand experience? All the speakers will be amped over 100rms, and yes, I do need all 12 mids, 12 tweeters, 2 sealed 10" in the seats, a ported 15", and over 17 T.V.s. That's what I find fun to build and see in action :)
  • catch22atplay
    catch22atplay Posts: 130
    edited September 2010
    I'm picturing a disco inferno school bus with a psychedelic paint job. Pass it around dude.

Might get better results at the smd forums. You'd fit right in.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures
  • monkeyleg
    edited September 2010
    I'm a member of SMD, have been for a long while. Only problem there is, nobody uses Polk. Seeing as I am using Polk products and there are people here that also use/like Polk products I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask my question.
  • catch22atplay
    catch22atplay Posts: 130
    edited September 2010
    vas close to 0.5cu ft would be my guess just by comparing other 6 1/2" drivers. Best i can do dude.

I'm a member of smd as well Monkey. Wasn't meant as a bashing. Some of those guys are really knowledgeable. You're right in that they aren't into Polk now. But a lot of them have used Polks.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited September 2010
    my sr mid bass became more punchy in a sealed enclosure.
  • monkeyleg
    edited September 2010
    Do you know the rough volume of the sealed enclosure? Did you notice any difference in how loud they are after?
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited September 2010
    monkeyleg wrote: »
    Do you know the rough volume of the sealed enclosure? Did you notice any difference in how loud they are after?

I forgot the exact size, but it was around .3. Tbh, I didn't see any perceivable difference in volume.
  • monkeyleg
    edited September 2010
    DSkip wrote: »
    Have you called polk? I'm sure they can direct you in the right direction.

Yea I shot them an e-mail months ago and no reply
  • monkeyleg
    edited September 2010
    chu wrote: »
    I forgot the exact size, but it was around .3. Tbh, I didn't see any perceivable difference in volume.

Ok, awesome, thanks.
  • monkeyleg
    edited September 2010
    Look at people's builds. I have never done it before but I've been an SMD member for years so I've seen some very talented people fabricate amazing things. I just planned and executed. Step by step. Take it slow and TEST FIT. For the love of god Test Fit.
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited October 2010
    evr find out sealed parameters?
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • monkeyleg
    edited October 2010
    not true ones, but I've talked to lots of people that tried sealed pods and they couldn't be happpier