LSi vs. RTA

Options
Jockos
Jockos Posts: 310
edited June 2003 in Speakers
After listening to my polk LSi 15's for a month now I have made some personal observations as compared to my older RTA 11t's.
I actually like the sound of the older 11t's much better. The LSi's sound flat and the bass is not as full as the 11t's. The 11t's seem to have more air and better imaging then the LSi's. Piano and acoustical guitar sound much clearer on the 11t's. I have also done the same comparison with the 8t's and 5B's; all use the same SL2000 tweeter and sound much clearer and coherent.
Maybe my ear is just used to listening to the older polks. I still plan on keeping the LSi's hoping they will grow on me.

Jockos
Post edited by Jockos on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Jockos,
    sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your LSi15. Perhaps it's a matter of mating your LSi with the right amps. In my experience, the 15 is one of the better sounding speakers, compared to the likes of Vienna series. I have no direct experience with the RT, so I can't comment on these. Good luck...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited June 2003
    Options
    There could be some truth to that........What your used to listening to and all.Lsi maybe technically better but the real truth lies in you......you gotta like em better

I agree with polkatese with better amps.....What are you driving the Lsi's with???It makes a huge difference.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Jockos,

I felt the same exact way after one month. Mine were brand new (LSi 9). So are you going through a break-in (purchased brand new)?

At the end of two months they sounded a lot better. I also upgraded speaker wire to IXOS Super Gamma 7 and got Signal Cable 2 interconnects. This combination really woke them up big time after break-in. I love the way they sound now. In fact other speakers I hear sound too bright.

As stated above, amplification plays a huge part too. Give them some more time...perhaps they'll come around for you.

I'm actually trying to "tone" them down a little with Transparent interconnects and perhaps some Transparent speaker wire.

Give us more details as far as your amplification and wires you are using and there are plenty of folks here who can help. They helped me out for sure.

Paul
  • Jockos
    Jockos Posts: 310
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks for all the replys. My bedroom system is:

Outlaw 1050 receiver
    Yamaha CD 650
    Panasonic DVD
    Polk LSi 15's Front
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk Monitor 5B rears
    Polk PSW 450 sub.

The LSi 15's are only about 1 month old, bought brand new. The Outlaw is also brand new about 2 weeks old. I do plan on adding a affordable amp sometime. I mostly listen to the LSi's in stereo only with no subwoofer. Wiring is Monster Cable from CC.

Jockos
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I would not be so quick to discount the RTA line. I have enjoyed my RTA8T's for more than 10 years and they remain my favorite.

Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Real Time Array baby.

Gotta love time-aligned speakers, **** its SDA, without, well SDA. I do feel the LSi benefit from break-in (as other members have noted), but imo, the there isn't a whole lot of difference in the RTA/SDA/LSi line. Don't get me wrong, they are different, but very share a lot of tonal qualities at the same time.

The Outlaw should drive those 15's as well as any other 'receiver' out there, ie B&K, Rotel, Nad, PE, etc etc. Test the theory, got a buddy with a good 2ch seperates rig?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Cheers,
    Rooster

Thank God above I'm not alone:D

plus...

what in my RTA8 makes them time coherent?

Evile Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    4 words brotha.

Big Blue Badass Caps.

Cheers,
    Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Russ:

Gotta love time-aligned speakers, **** its SDA, without, well SDA.

100% agree with you brotha. My RTA 11TL's sound the same as
    the 1.2TL and the 2.3TL's without SDA's;)

You compared only the RTA 11t's, what more the 11TL's:D

Har
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Gonna chime in with pj here. I have never heard the RTA's before so i cannot compare the two, but my LSi7's in all reality took a good six months to break in. I gradually heard an improvement over that time period. even my neighbor noticed a difference. One night we were listening to some tunes and he asked if I had upgraded the reciever.

Give it some time....they will come around.

BTW Kick **** setup. How do you like the Yamaha CD650?
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • HBombToo
    edited June 2003
    Options
    4 words brotha.

Big Blue Badass Caps.

Iiiiiiii Seeeeeeeeeeee.... I forgot i had some of those;)

trashed and ready ta crash:p
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    4 words brotha.

Big Blue Badass Caps.

Cheers,
    Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Gold, Russ, Gold

Also good to know I can jerk out that pesky SDA circuitry, jumper some drivers and whala... RTA SRS's... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I'm going to concur, I think the RTA's are great. I enjoy mine immensely. Figure at the time, I think the RTA12C's were approx. a grand a pair in the mid-80's so I would say that a direct comparison isn't out of the question.

Lookit RuSsMan getting his RTA drool on......got space in the cave cleared out yet for 'em??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Big Blue Badass Caps.

You can use this If you where B&K loaded.....which is what this is from.You can go around talking about 4 wide short badass caps since your Rotel loaded......

Mr Dual Mono
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,461
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I've had RTA's for years and never heard better sound, for me anyway. But...., I haven't listened to the LSi line, yet....

All I can tell you is that B&K sounds soooooooo sweet with my 8t's. Big, Blue, Bad Caps, yeah......

HBomb, looks like you and I have great taste!! And...., I hope you're not younger than me since it seems my generation is becoming an aging group here on the forum.
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • HBombToo
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by smglbrth

HBomb, looks like you and I have great taste!! And...., I hope you're not younger than me since it seems my generation is becoming an aging group here on the forum.

I'm 38 and my right arm is in great shape from all the 12 ounce curls I do.:D

I'm short, fat and don't care but I do have a helluva alot of fun!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2003
    Options
    i have rta-12's, and love them. but i never heard the LSi line yet. i've heard goodthings though
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    I'm 38 and my right arm is in great shape from all the 12 ounce curls I do.:D
    It's good that all your drinking is well documented here or else your arm comment would be dangerously askew......;)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAa... well he did say "ounce" and not "inch"...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD