best brand of CD players

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited June 2003 in Electronics
I'm looking for a CD player. I would prefer a muliti disc player. but I may settle for a single disc one too.

my limit is $275. I can't go any higher than that. so the Krells, Rotels, Rega's are all out.

I'm looking for a used one.. it must have a digital coax output.

Any of these rate good or high?

NAD, AMC, Onkyo, Marantz, CAL, Nakamichi, Sony, Kenwood, Fisher, HK?

thanks, Al
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If I were you and spending $275 on a CD player I wouldn't be using the digital COAX out. Unless you have a HIGH quality receiver with good DAC's your wasting your money. The reason for buying a nice CD player is to get high quality DAC's. Just my 2 cents.

I have the NAD 521 and love it! it's a great entry level CD player.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Russ and I have the AMC cd8b and we both like them......

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tryrrthg
    The reason for buying a nice CD player is to get high quality DAC's. Just my 2 cents.

There is alot said for a good transport only if you already have a good AVR or external DAC that satisfies you.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2003
    Options
    There is alot said for a good transport only if you already have a good AVR or external DAC that satisfies you.

True, but it's hard to find both at this price range. Dangerboy didn't specify whether he has an external DAC or whether he was running the digital connection to his AVR. I was assuming he was running it to an AVR since most people don't have external DAC's. Good call though!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • danger boy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tryrrthg
    True, but it's hard to find both at this price range. Dangerboy didn't specify whether he has an external DAC or whether he was running the digital connection to his AVR. I was assuming he was running it to an AVR since most people don't have external DAC's. Good call though!

sorry guys.. yes i do have an external DAC.. that's why i need the coax output. DAC is Calfiornia Audio Labs Alpha tube DAC 18bit using (2) 12AX7 Mullard tubes.

I have seen some NAD's and AMC's for auction. They look nearly identical. Are they from the same company?
  • danger boy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    here is a pic of the DAC more to come
  • danger boy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    enjoy. it's very open and revealing sounding DAC. I'm convinced about the improvement using a DAC.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    sorry for the large image size and if it takes a long time to load up.
  • HBombToo
    edited June 2003
    Options
    danger, I just had to run into the mens room after seeing that vision of beauty! :D

God that thing is sweet!

It would be very cool to marry it with this:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?dgtltran&1060009069&class&3&4&

I do realize it is above your stated budget but DAMN that would be cool!

Thanks for sharing the Pics.

You have a winner there for sure.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • danger boy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Hbomb,

yeah the first time i listened to this DAC. I had the same affect as you did.. very nice sounding and great to look at.

The transport you recommned is a big above my funds.. but that is the direction I'd love to go.. you're right that transport would mate well with this DAC.

I've also seen the CAL Ikon come up for sale once in a while.. do you know anything about that one?

thx, Al
  • HBombToo
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I have based my familiarity with Cal products from my CL20 and research. I would guess that everything they made was good and I would not be concerned with quality from 1 product line to another. The transport that is in my CL20 is so robust and smooth with no clacks, clinks and hums I would say that any Cal tranport would make you happy.

What I really like about my transport though is the way is it loads the cd and does a 5 step timing sequence across the cd so it can adjust the radial velocity of the cd as it plays through the selections. If there is even a piece of dust on the cd it will stick on the timing sequence so I'll yank the cd and wipe it down and no problem after that. The CL20 is also a dvd player and it will sweep through a dvd much like a cd to ensure proper transport speed from start to finish.

keep an eye out though you may run across other transports for the dollars you budgeted.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • danger boy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    HBomb,

That's what i plan to do it wait till the right transport comes along.
    I got a great deal on the DAC.. patience pays off some times.. :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Here's my thoughts........

Sony ES used.They have great sounding mega changers and 5 discs.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Just be aware. It can be tricky finding a quality transport in this price range. Signal quality is your main enemy here. The players in this range are typically of poorer quality. Are you looking for a match for your DAC or something that will get you by? High end DAC’s need a quality signal from the transport just to keep a lock on it. When you find an unusable transport your DAC will drop out during playback and become useless for this purpose. You may be having luck with your current unit, but some players are only meant to be used with internal or certain types of converters even though they have coax outputs.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • HBombToo
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    Here's my thoughts........

Sony ES used.They have great sounding mega changers and 5 discs.

the only reason i'll say yes is sony uses phillips stuff.

twin, so please be kind:D
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I was going to suggest a Phillips. They're known for their transports. At that price you can get a recorder from BB. http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11064082&m=1&cat=3&scat=6 3 disc changer. I have the 2 drawer model and am happy with it, but haven't given it a dedicated listen.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you can find one...
    i-1.jpg 17.8K
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Mantis,

I've never owned any Sony ES equip. Only the lower lines of Sony CD players. My first ever CD player was a Sony. That was years ago.

Not many Sony ES players come up for auction it seems. Lots of entry level ones do tho.

jrausch,

thanks.. good info to keep in mind. I assumed if a transport had a digital out... it would work with the DAC. I guess that's not the case neccessarily right?

Right now i'm using my 4 yr old Toshiba DVD player to play CD's. It's not ideal and not what i'm wanting... so I am beginning to look for a dedicated transport. I'm sure most any player will sound better. The Toshiba has trouble with CD-R's. Making some of them sound static.

gidrah,

I don't really need a CD recorder... so I feel that i'd be paying for something I would never use. My receiver does not have a digital output at all... since it's an older Marantz model.

thanks for all the suggestions guys.. i know i can always count on your recommendations and insights.

I'll be doing more homework on transports and wait for the right one to become available online.
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Of course you will need this too...

Edit: Sorry for the dinky pic (off ebay), but it is the companion drive control unit for the AA transport...

More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    I assumed if a transport had a digital out... it would work with the DAC. I guess that's not the case neccessarily right?
    No, it will...

All that folks are now saying is that given the DAC you own, you only need a transport. So if you buy a player, shop for one with a quality transport over one with a so-so transport and better internal DAC's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• danger boy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    No, it will...

All that folks are now saying is that given the DAC you own, you only need a transport. So if you buy a player, shop for one with a quality transport over one with a so-so transport and better internal DAC's...

I understand.. that's what i'm looking for.. hence the ones i'm most interested in currently.. which are CAL, NAD, AMC the ones where the transport is good and the DAC's are not as important.

The more I read online and hear things.... these three seem to be some of the better transports that even fall within my budget range.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited June 2003
    Options
    out of your range, but has a very high cool factor.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?dgtltran&1055811633
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • danger boy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    jrausch,

yeah it is very cool. slightly way above my budget.. i've never seen anything like it before.

Kind of reminds me of Bang and Olufsen equipment in it's styling.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    It was just a suggestion.

BTW: I've made about 80 CDs (75 of which were the same) and haven't hooked up the digital out from receiver yet. It's time to hook up the TT and raise that number.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • danger boy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    gidrah,

suggestions are always welcome here. :D

I'm not very familiar with Phillips. I know they are one of the older makers of electronics.. been around for years.

I'm looking for something a little more "exotic" i guess is a good way to put it.

More like a Ferrari on a Yugo budget. :p

thanks man, al